(514-09-02) One Night in Dorset - Little Flesh, Little History
Summary: A daring night raid on Dorset serves up revenge and steals horses.
Date: 514-09-02
Related: One Night in Dorset - Prologue, Hard Man Humbled
bradwyn elrick idris padrig aluksander 

Run by

eirian 


Rumour comes to Salisbury knights through a contact that a valuable shipment of materiel is bound for the front. The driver and guard are loyalists, but another pair of hired guides are less than happy about their service. Prevent the materiel from reaching the front, and it's going to impact the war…

After asking around the Salisbury war encampment by the Dorset border, Elrick was able to recruit three brave knights to join him on a strike mission that will help damage their resupplying ability if successful. When they gather at the pre-appointed time in their battle kit, the Laverstock Knight would lead them to the location where they will await the supply train as he was provided this intel from a very reliable source. The location is the Overcountry Track and their arrival puts them at night when the sun has already gone down.

The question is if the shipment will be late in arriving or not, so to prepare, Elrick had suggested that the knights work in pairs, one taking the first shift and the other pair resting, and then switching in case the shipment of war materiel was late. When the shipment was spotted though, the two resting knights were quietly roused and the Salisbury men retake their mounts to prepare for the ambush, waiting for the right time to strike. "Remember, Sirs, these Dorset conscripts are not particularly brave, some may flee when they see us charging. Also, there should be an agent amongst them that may hold additional intel for us, a possible hostage that is being held that we may be able to free. So if you spot a man with a heavy mustache, spare him. Now let's make ready."

Surely, Idris would join such an enterprise because the Bodenhams keep getting blamed by the Bishopstones for every single thing. They are, in fact, always told that they would turncloak for their much disliked southern neighbors, which is crap. As such, the young knight is astride his horse, reins on his off hand and sword on the other as he waits for this supply train to arrive. "He won't talk if we don't scare him, you know," the knight mentions casually, nodding once to Elrick's words on the matter.

Having left his lance, as speed and maneuverability would benefit more here, the six foot Idmiston knight Sir Bradwyn waits, his sword drawn after mounting up and resting at his side near his horse's flank. The giant is silent, ready to start taking revenge for his recently slain cousin Sir Tomas. Bradwyn doesn't speak for now, simply ready to charge when the order is given as he only makes the barest attempt to remain hidden from the enemy.

Success
Aluksander checked his hunting of 10, he rolled 6.

Failed.
Elrick checked his hunting of 10, he rolled 16.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his hunting of 3, he rolled 12.

The Overcountry Track is a fine name for an overglorified cart track that cuts southeast along the border through Dorset, so named for the shortcut it provides towards Salisbury. In better days, woodsmen and traders use the track to shave time off their route when they stop in the small villages strung near the forest's edge like mushrooms. In spots too narrow for two horses to go abreast without threatening to be hit by overhanging branches, the route nonetheless benefits from plentiful foliage fringing the sides and cool shade even on the hottest of days. On the other hand, it remains perpetually dark even in the height of summer, though the warm August starts to bleed into a stormy September punctuated by plenty of rain. It's the rain, unfortunately, which has made this a treacherous route avoided by commoners and patrols alike. The Track is a mire, full of deep ruts and sucking mud flats, though the edges benefit a great deal more. For the knights there by deep evening, the walk means getting knee-deep if they do not watch where they walk and plentiful opportunity to go off the beaten path into the bushes. Or they can be Dirt Ninjas, covered in the thick slop to hide their faces and devices.

Aluksander is quick to get ready, standing and stretching and working his neck and shoulders about to get any kinks out. His long blonde hair is already pulled back into a low pony tail, so it's a simple matter to don his helmet and then swing himself up into the seat of his horse. He moves forward, brow knitting a little. "I think we'd be better suited trying not to alert them until we're almost upon them. Better chance of spotting the mark, then, rather than trying to pick him out of a melee."

Critical Fail!
Elrick checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 20.

Failed.
Aluksander checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 18.

Success
Bradwyn checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 3.

Failed.
Idris checked his awareness of , he rolled 2.

Bradwyn attempts to see if there are signs of an ambush.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 15.

The route Elrick has confirmed should have the cart coming through, but while a man on a horse can avoid being swallowed up into the Great Overcountry Swamp, a cart is a different business when loaded down by supplies under canvas. The horses are slow, and being whipped irritably by the driver, while two men struggle to pull a wheel out from the muck for the umpteenth time tonight. Grumbles and colourful curses make no effort to really disguise their way because, in truth, there's no way to disguise a lumbering cart pulled by two draft horses.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his battle of 12, he rolled 17.

Bradwyn looks to the side and studies the distance for a bit, before turning the striking blue eyes the Idmiston's seem to cultivate and says, "Don't see any signs of an ambush and the terrain is so uneven not sure how best to strike leaving them no room to escape, but they are there." Pointing in the direction of the cart adding, "Seems to be stuck in the mud, horses are slow, irritable driver. Struggling with the cart but I don't see our man, but the cart is covered by canvas I can't see what might be on it." He then looks to the leader fo the party to see what they want to do.

Success
Idris checked his hunting of 10, he rolled 7.

Idris and Aleksander are able to maintain a startlingly quiet approach, and any Awareness checks against you will be at a -5 penalty.

Critical Success!
Padrig checked his hunting of 10, he rolled 10.

Success
Padrig checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 5.

.
While waiting for the shipment to arrive, Elrick suddenly snaps his attention to the western directly and narrows his eyes, "I could've sworn that I heard something coming on our west, did anyone else hear that?" Now the Laverstock is a little worried that there may be a hostile scouting party that is also out there which would heavily complicate things. He is getting ready to turn his charger in that direction and investigate when there is an update from Bradwyn which causes conflict with Elrick. It appears he may have been the only one that heard it so he keeps that in the back of his mind as he deals with their primary objective, "If they are bogged down, then we can advance. They will either have to fight us or run, and this mud will make it difficult for everyone. I trust my charger to navigate in this foul weather, it is up to you all if you trust yours. My cousin should be out there as an outrider, to ensure that there are no ambushes waiting for us." Though that noise to the west he heard before, worrisome. "Unless anyone else senses anything, let's not give them anymore time to free their cart."

"They are coming," Idris points in the vague direction the cart might be coming from. "But they've gotten stuck, I think," the knight comments, staying silent afterward as he looks toward Elrick for future decisions, though the reins on his mount is held a little slacker, the boots to dig into the flanks of the mount at any given moment. When he gives the say-so, the Bodenham has his charger gallop in the direction of the cart quickly, blade in hand.

Success
You make a check for Crosby Awareness at 10, you rolled 8.

Critical Fail!
You make a check for Stills Awareness at 10, you rolled 20.

With a golden charger fleet of foot, and covered in his approach by the outrageous amount of noise the carthaulers are making, Padrig has managed to pick his way through a wooded stretch parallel with the road. He returns now with less stealth than he departed, appearing at Elrick's elbow and frowning thoughtfully. "I've found nothing," he announces quietly, leaning forward in the saddle to shift his weight a bit for comfort. "Four men at the cart, two of them trying to budge it free and the other two standing around with their thumbs up their arses. The cart seems well and truly stuck, but nobody has thought to unload it to get it loose." He shifts a second time, clearly uncomfortable with something but not enough to say it aloud. He nods once to Elrick as the man announces a charge, and situates his shield on his left arm before making ready his sword.

"No need, Sir Bradwyn, I trust my cousin. Let us take the cart before they have a chance to spot us, we need to make this quick before we lose the element of surprise. Let's go!" Drawing his blade, Elrick kicks his charger into motion, not the usual thundering charge as the mud is making things difficult but certainly much faster if he was try to slog through the mess himself.

Success
Idris checked his reckless of 16, he rolled 1.

Failed.
Idris checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 19.

Failed.
Aluksander checked his horsemanship of 10, he rolled 16.

Failed.
Padrig checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 16.
Failed.
Elrick checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 18.

Critical Fail!
Bradwyn checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 20.

Success
Bradwyn checked his dex of 10, he rolled 2.

The narrow path will not accommodate more than two mounted knights in a go, inhibiting an easy launch of battle across a field. Bradwyn's horse founders in the muck and he has to saw on the reins to keep the charger from plunging forward or knocking him off at the cost of a broken leg, though some talented effort prevents the knight from being launched from the path. Padrig and Elrick are both cursed with the luck of Laverstocks on the run, apparently, for the spirited golden horse that Padrig rides — a very strange creature to the eyes of the other knights, likely — sidles and prances while the other horses jump forward, as if he has an opinion about where he wants to go. Idris is rather left behind as Aluksander tries to steer his beast into a charge, and it's one hell of a strange rainstorm when a pile of Salisbury knights throw so much mud it seems to blunt their assault.

From the ruckus down the path, at least one of those men is not helping out with pulling the sucking wheel from the mud. An alarm is shouted, and the men scurry away from their cart, causing the draft horses to whinney and whicker in concern. They strain at their lashes to no avail.

Combat - Round One

Failed.
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 18.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 5.

Success
Elrick checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 4.

Failed.
Padrig checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 16.

Failed.
You make a check for Crosby Sword vs Padrig at 17, you rolled 19.
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Stills Sword vs Elrick at 15, you rolled 20.

Critical Success!
Idris checked his sword of 15, he rolled 15.

Failed.
Aluksander checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 16.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his orate of 10, he rolled 17.

Well, after the initial charge, Aluksander found himself without much room to manuever and without an enemy to fight! Well, Idris gangs up on one of the swordsmen, which Aluksander is almost tempted to do, but … seeing his fellow knights fair so well in combat, he just doesn't feel it would be very valorous for him to pile on. So, he keeps watch in front of the cart, making sure nobody is likely to get away, and that no one can attack the knights flank!

While the mud makes it difficult for the knights, slowing them down dramatically, Elrick's charger is able to slog through the mess and reach the closest Dorset guardsman. Without hestitation, his blade is brought up, an easy slash made as Stills nearly fumbles his blade and the sword slashes into the man, leaving an angry red wound in the man. As they clash, the Laverstock catches sight of the contact he is supposed to keep an eye out for, right before Young ducks behind cover, and quickly shouts out to the others, "The archer is the one we're looking for!" Then in Young's direction, Elrick calls out the name of the town he was shown earlier back at the Salisbury encampment, "Board!" Hopefully that verbal signal was heard because he is now taking a swing from Stills, his shield deflecting the blow.

Seeing the front line as it were engaged Bradwyn rides past to target those at the back. While the archer is a prime target, Bradwyn decides to go after the seemingly more dangerous one. As it turns out a good thing as the archer is their man. Striking hard on Nash, Bradwyn shouts, "Drop your weapons and surrender dogs!" anger clear in his voice and bellow, he remembers well who was hanged like a common rat instead of the knight he was.

Finding a way to help Padrig, Idris strikes at Crosby quickly from the side, drawing some blood from the man. He wheels about after a moment just as the man starts fighting for defense, rather than to harm others. Finding an opening, he strikes at it, but the blow is too weak to be effective. He curses under his breath, trying to find a different angle.

Two men standing atop the cart have a very different reaction from those labouring to free up the stuck wheels. At the alarm, the ones in the front pull steel, and Crosby shouts, "Get in position!" It's almost unnecessary for him to do so since a wall of horseflesh descending to cause misery to Dorset makes clear their outcome. Shields out, swords drawn, the two men fall into attacking at the first without realizing exactly how many people are attacking at first. The initial blows on the Dorset knight cause him to grunt and adjust his position, falling into a defensive stance that relies much more on a flurry of parries than attempting to strike human flesh. Clearly he has more than an idea of what he's doing. Not so with Stills, who lashes out at Elrick after yelling an incoherent war-cry starting with "Salisbury bastard!" Because, of course, their own countrymen wouldn't try to kill them.

Nash yanks his sword from the scabbard and waits for Bradwyn to approach, striking out when the man stabs at him. The parry isn't nearly so skillful as Crosby shows, and he backs away to leave less room for the horses to maneuver by twisting around the corner, throwing his shield up to intercept what blows he can. As for poor Young, the moment of discovery is a revelation and he starts backing away, face pale beneath his heavy, dark mustache. He drags the an arrow from the quiver and starts for his bow, but makes no attempt to engage so much as defend himself. "Yield! This isn't my bloody war!"

Round of combat rolls

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10.
Success
Idris makes a check for Padrig Sword at 15, he rolled 2.

Success
You make a check for Crosby Prudent at 10, you rolled 2.
Success
You make a check for Stills Sword vs Elrick -5 unmounted at 15, you rolled 4.
Success
You make a check for Crosby Sword vs Padrig -5 unmounted defensive +10 split 16 at 17, you rolled 5.
Failed.
You make a check for Crosby Sword vs Idris -5 unmounted defensive +10 split 1 at 17, you rolled 18.

Elrick rolls 5d6 and gets (2 6 5 4 5) for a total of: (22)
Idris rolls 5d6 and gets (4 1 1 5 6) for a total of: (17)

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 17.
Failed.
You make a check for Nash Sword vs Bradwyn doesn't wanna die! at 12, you rolled 13.
Bradwyn rolls 5d6 and gets (5 4 5 6 5) for a total of: (25)
Success
You make a check for Dex for Crosby vs Idris at 11, you rolled 2.

Round of combat

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 3.
Success
You make a check for Stills Valorous at 15, you rolled 13.
Success
You make a check for Stills vs Elrick -5 ground +10 defensive at 15, you rolled 5.
Success
You make a check for Crosby vs Padrig -5 ground split 1 no def at 17, you rolled 15.

Idris makes a check for Padrig Sword at 15, he rolled 16.
Idris rolls 5d6 and gets (4 5 5 5 3) for a total of: (22)
Critical Success!
Idris checked his sword of 15, he rolled 15.

Critical Fail!
You make a check for Crosby vs the Bull of Bodenham -5 ground split 16 at 17, you rolled 20.
Failed.
Eirian checked her Crosby vs You stupid ponce Dex=11 of , she rolled 6.
Success
You make a check for Nash Valorous at 15, you rolled 14.

Success
Bradwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 5.
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Nash vs Bradwyn Sword -5 unmounted at 15, you rolled 20.
Bradwyn rolls 5d6 and gets (3 2 5 5 4) for a total of: (19)
Failed.
You make a check for Nash Dex vs Hold at 11, you rolled 18.

With his superior position, Elrick continues to slash into Stills who takes yet another nasty wound into his body, this time forcing the man down to his knees. "Yield, damn you! You are outnumbered and you're about to die!" With the Dorset soldier refusing to yield, the Laverstock doesn't let up either though with the soldier turtling in full defense, he keeps his life for now. It appears that the second blow that is rained down on Stills causes him to change his mind. With a smirk, Elrick points his blade down at the downed man, "Throw down your weapons, the battle is over."

Padrig and Idris make an effective team. Idris attacks when Padrig defends, and Idris defends when Padrig attacks. Crosby, certainly, is taken for a loop when the usually aggressive Bodenham starts lifting his shield and parrying his blows, while the Laverstock strikes ruthlessly at his side. When the foe yields, he nods, simply, and reaches to take the man's weapon before he says to Padrig, "Let's get this gentleman tied up so we take them to Ebble, shall we?"

Success
Bradwyn checked his vengeful of 10, he rolled 8.

There may yet be a hope, though why this is the case — why the Dorsetmen are so desperate to continue on — will be something to ponder over a winter fire. Crosby grits his teeth and steps forward to meet Padrig's blow, but he drops his shield to intercept fewer blows and starts the assault, pressing an advantage that doesn't manage to break through the two men he's holding off. The Laverstock isn't having much success, and for his part, neither is the Dorsetman. Well, how he ever got to this level of success will remain a mystery, especially since his attempt to stab through the Bull of Bodenham goes so catastrophically wrong. The first jab to hold him off leaves him open for a devastating strike and his rain slick blade goes flying into the night. That throws off Stills who is still maneuvering through horses on one side, a horse on the other, and a man with an equine badge trying to kill him. He snarls and lashes out with a series of hacking motions that won't meet flesh.

Nash has the hardest time of it, throwing himself into the fight with a desperation spoken in every turn of the sword, every lift of the shield. Bradwyn's rage is too much for the cornered warrior to bear, and yet he refuses to drop his weapon until forced by one strike after another bleeding him to the bone, that flying blade hurled into the sucking mud as he slips, and scrambles to get his footing, before collapsing again in a swooning heap. It's at this point Young shouts, "It's over! Devois, think of your damn daughter, man!"

Crosby stands stoic and unarmed a moment, the horses snorting in terror and rolling their eyes, for they're not trained to war. Stills raises his hands, open and full. "We yield." He's nearly as bloody as the rest of them, though the knight beyond him growls.

Success
Bradwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 1.
Bradwyn rolls 5d6 and gets (1 3 6 3 4) for a total of: (17)

Bradwyn is red with anger and the yield goes on deaf ears as Bradwyn thrusts out his sword to fell the man he has been fighting since the start and says, "Should have yielded when ordered pond filth." twisting his blade to break the seal and sliding the sword free adding, "For Tomas."

A single blow is all it takes to murder Devois of Dorset, and the man simply slumps into the mud, his life's breath bubbling away into blood and muck. Young's colour fades behind his mustache further, but he hangs behind the cart until quite certain no one is intending to strike him where he stands. His hand grabs the side of the wagon, and he looks a bit ill. Stills starts to spit profanities, and there's no telling Crosby's opinion because he's being tied up and wisely gagged.

The draught horses are panicked, to be sure, and attempts to control them are not easy. The smell of blood and death clearly terrifies the great beasts, who prance and strain at their traces.

Failed.
Elrick checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 19.

With Stills yielding, Elrick has no reason to kill the man, not like Bradwyn who lost immediate family, the unfortunate tragedies of wars that people on both sides of the conflict faces. "Line up with the others and if you give us any trouble, I will hand you over to the Idmiston. You know what you Dorset bastards did to one of his, don't you. Honorless dogs." Spitting on the ground next to the Dorset guardsman, the Laverstock nudges his steed and has him slowly slosh through the mod towards where Young was taking cover, more or less stayed out of the fight. "You!" Dismounting, he would approach the man, "You're with me, I will not harm you. Here is the proof." Elrick pulls out the item that was handed to him before he went to gather these knights, "The town of Broad I believe."

log
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License