(514-08-24) Copse Killers
Summary: Kamron leads a group of knights into the forest after bandits and nearly gets one killed.
Date: August 24, 514
Related: None directly.
kamron arian catryn elrick ailil aluksander 


Failed.
Kamron checked his Hunting at 4, he rolled 15.
Failed.
Aluksander checked his hunting of 10, he rolled 11.
Failed.
Arian checked her hunting of 2, she rolled 19.
Success
Catryn checked her hunting of 10, she rolled 4.
Success
Ailil checked his Hunting of 12, he rolled 3.
Success
Elrick checked his hunting of 5, he rolled 3.

Called on to capture the leader of a group of brigands in the north of Salisbury, Kamron has pushed the group a little hard, riding up from Sarum, but that's what rouncys are for, to get you where you need to go so you can change over to a charger for actual fighting. They stopped at Littleworth briefly, getting the lay of the land and the latest information. Apparently, they have struck several merchants going to and from the manor, as well as striking at outlying houses and forms within the village itself. Each time, they have faded back into deep tangles of the nearby forest. They have not killed anyone, not yet, but they have wounded several, and done a good deal of stealing, more successfully and more quietly than most groups of brigands. The little group stayed at Littleworth overnight, since they arrived late, and they set out with the sun the next morning.

It is now late morning, rushing up toward noon, and they have scoured the countryside for tracks, and those that they have found have led them deeper and deeper into the forest. With Catryn, Elrick, and Ailil's lead, they seem to be staying away from any threat of ambushes, and following several trails toward a single source, but they have reached the furthest depths into the woods that their horses can manage. Going any further on horseback is simply not possible, as the underbrush gets far too tight. And so Kamron dismounts, handing his reins off to his squire and gathering up his helmet from the youth, "I think we'll leave the squires with the horses, unless anyone has a better idea? We'll have to go on foot from here. Remember, though," His eyes stray toward Catryn, "Sir Pellyn," the Sheriff, "has requested that the leader be brought in alive, and I mean to ensure that is the case."

The blue roan that has taken Arian this far shakes her white mane, tossing it as her rider draws her to a stop. Arian is in her armor, sword at her hip, and shield on her back. She murmurs something to the roan, giving the mare's mane a soft shake before she starts to dismount. Her gaze cuts over toward Avane at the mention of the squires, and she offers her squire a gentle nod. "Take care of Banshee and Blaze, Avane… stay, unless you are directly called." Then she glances over toward the others. Her helmet on her belt, her expression is easy to see — she is calm and thoughtful, though her usual dimples have softened as she frowns.

Catryn had ridden and assisted both Elrick and Ailil with the tracking, pointing out now and again marks that give away the trail, broken twigs, bent branches, nodding when others point out things as well. When they take to their feet, she looks to her squire, collecting her own weapon, her shield, her helmet, just in case. "Well the good news is if we're on foot, likely so are they." Though as she hears about the leader being needed alive, she does have the audacity to blush a little. Did she kill so many? She doesn't try and distract herself with counting lives she had taken, instead she offers a salute, "Yes, Sir."

When duty calls, one must heed the summons. Especially when the little sister has volunteered as well, so Elrick has chosen to join the group that has headed to the northern border of Salisbury to capture the bandit leader, a plague upon the lands. When the terrain becomes impassable for their mounts, it puts the Laverstock Knight in an uneasy mood, preferring to fight from horseback. Dismounting easily, he hands his charger off to one of the squires, most likely either Newt or Avane, as he trusts those two the most due to family. "Squire Avane, if you would be so kind, please look after Havok as well. It would be much appreciated, in exchange, I will see to your knight's safety." And maybe the Dinton as well. Maybe.

The ugly slab of patchwork that Ailil pretends is a horse, and not some monster out of a bestiary, is no doubt happy to stand back and let the fools rush in. Fools not as wise as the gelding, anyways. He is taken in by a female squire hovering back until catching the reins, and the Broughton knight recovers his sword and a various odds and ends. He gives only a faint nod to his squire, clearly trusting her to know her way about the brute equine. He slings his pack over his back, making adjustments to handle the metal parts that might draw undue consideration by making a bit of noise. A knife is pulled around to be within easy reach, in case they need to cut their way through the undergrowth or get themselves a fire started. Stabbing bandits? It's all good. "Right." Not really a talkative sort, him, but he starts looking about for what constitutes something of a path.

Well, having missed out on the main battle at Sarum, the hunt for any of the Saxons still in the vicinity, and pretty much every other opportunity to prove his worth, Aluksander was definitely not going to miss this opportunity. And so he left his new wife behind, promising to return post haste, and rode with the the rest of the posse north. And now, as they go tromping through the woods and Aluksander is called to leave his mount, he frowns. "You know, I hate to be the one to point this out, but if we venture too far from the horses … will we be able to find our way back? I won't lie, I've had no experience trying to navigate a forest. Are we certain we won't be lost?" he asks those surrounding him as he dismounts and begins to pull his hair back into a pony tail so that he can put his helmet on.

Success
Kamron checked his DEX at 13, he rolled 1. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Success)
Critical Fail!
Ailil checked his Dex of 8, he rolled 20. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Critical Failure)
Failed.
Elrick checked his dex of 8, he rolled 16. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Failure)
Success
Catryn checked her dex of 17, she rolled 2. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Success)
Failed.
Aluksander checked his dex of 10, he rolled 18. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Failure)
Success
Arian checked her dex of 15, she rolled 13. (-10 Armor +5 Heavy Brush=Failure)

Success
Ailil checked his Awareness of 10, he rolled 9.
Success
Elrick checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 6.
Success
Catryn checked her awareness of 10, she rolled 4.
Success
Kamron checked his awareness at 9, he rolled 2.
Failed.
Aluksander checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 18.
Failed.
Arian checked her awareness of 10, she rolled 12.

Kamron gathers his bucket helmet under his left arm, the shield strapped onto that arm as well. He nods as no one else puts in a specific plan, gesturing around the group, "We have able trackers here, Sir Aluksander. If they can track brigands, I'm sure they can track knights in armor. And if we shout, I'm sure the squires can do the same so that we can find them again." Nodding in return to Catryn's words, he offers a little smile, almost an apology. Arian sharing her squire even gets a chuckle, and then he nods, "Let's go then. We'll try to approach as quietly as we can." Which isn't going to be that quietly — after all, they're in armor. Kamron manages it well enough, however, only rustling a few leaves and brushing a few branches on the way deeper into forest along the trails that the three knights can still follow.

The walk takes… time. An hour, perhaps?

"My knight will see to your safety, Sir Elrick," Avane says with a spark of pride, but she does take Elrick's reins, and draws Havok up with Blaze and Banshee. She then casts Arian a smile, which is returned by the Laverstock knight. "Oh yes, I'll see to your safety, brother." And she grins toothily at her brother before she glances back over at the others. She adjusts her shield at her back. Aluksander's words cause her to chuckle slightly. "Sounds like you're inciting a faerie tale, Sir Aluksander… have anyone any bread to leave on our trail?" She is well-humored — at least for a brief moment, and then she sobers.

She falls in line with the others, but maintaining a stealthy approach is hard in armor and on foot on unfamiliar terrain. She is so focused on trying to be quiet, she does not keep very good track of what else is around her.

Catryn manages to not make too much noise, but she is in armor as well, so there are sounds. With the thick underbrush, the crackle and snap of twigs can be heard, but she attempts to step in places already walked on so in case they are being trailed also, they couldn't count the number in the party. The walk is long, the summer heat pretty bad with the armor, but eventually they do come to a glade of sorts. She lifts a gloved finger to her lips, "Shh," she whispers, nodding towards the sentries and.. is that shelters, camouflaged? "I'm not sure what they are holding," she looks to some of the others for clarification.

"Forgive me for being prudent," Aluksander says, glowering at Arian when she teases him. Can't not be the grumpy knight! What else would he be known for, then? Once his hair is put into a low pony-tail, he claims his helmet from his pack and then slides his shield onto his arm as well. And, having no squire, he looks around for a second and then turns to his mare. He reaches up and takes its head between his hands, looking at her very seriously for several seconds. "… stay," he commands it. It whinnies a little and tosses its head back and forth, and Aluksander reaches up to stroke it's mane once. "Good girl," he adds, approvingly. He then turns and falls in with the other knights, content to be led through the woods. And, miraculously? His horse stays, just hoofing the ground a few times as it settles in.
The trek through the woods is not quiet, for Aluksander. The man's just too big for sneaking, and he's never really tried to avoid being spotted. So, while some of the other knights may manage to get by in relative quiet, Aluksander seems intent to crunch every dry leaf, snap every grounded branch, and clank his shield off of more trees than he misses. Which has him frequently grimacing, and ducking his head, and turning quite red in embarrassment as he makes more noise than everyone. Well, except maybe Ailil.

Searching for a path means sometimes sequestering the parts of the mind concerned with avoiding stepping on branches or snapping a dry twig because Ailil wanders a little off to the side and kneels down, checking for a disturbed area. He isn't afraid to hold onto a tree and step up on the trunk to see further above the masses of shrubbery, vegetation, and foliage to get in the way of a clear view. Back into the darkness he resides, his usual ability to blend in to the forest reduced considerably for the click of chain and the creak of other things. He does not complain where they go and avoids any sort of casual conversation, though something stills him around the same time Catryn shushes them. A scowl flickers across his expression and he shifts his weight slightly. Three fingers are held up, an estimate of sorts.

Hearing Avane's feisty answer, Elrick can't help but laugh lightly as he looks over to his sister, shaking his head, "You've trained her well, Ari, well done. The boys who have their eyes on her will be in for a rude awakening." Like a certain Dinton Knight that is also present but any further familial comments are held at bay as he shifts to a more knightly demeanor, especially since the bandit hunt begins soon. The Laverstock just can't help himself, though he does look over to Aluksander and smirks, once more in amusement.
Then he moves off with the other knights, his armor and shield not the best of items to offer a completely silent approach. Being one of the knights that had decided to move closer to the front, Elrick is able to find signs of a clearing and quickly shoots a hand up to signal the rest of the group to hold if they are watching. He then nods at Catryn's whispered words, answering in the same low tones, "They are taking great care to keeping themselves hidden, especially from passing eyes." He then turns back and approaches the rest of the group slowly, whispering a quick update on what some of them have seen up ahead.

Success
Kamron checked his Battle at 12, he rolled 3.

Kamron winces a little at some of the clatter raised by some of the other knights, but he doesn't comment on it, focusing on keeping quiet himself as he walks through the every-closer woods. He holds up his right hand at about the same time Catryn calls for quiet, dropping down to one knee and doing his best to resist wiping the sweat from his brow with the leather palm of his mailed mitt. It wouldn't do to get a slippery grip. The Dinton lets the Burcombe and the Laverstock speak up first, then nods slowly, keeping his voice pitched low and quiet, "I don't know that we'll be able to sneak up on them. Shall we try to strike them from two sides rather than just charging up the middle? I'm not too concerned about mistaken identities, since there should not be anyone living here, according to the Knight of Littleworth."

Indeed, now that others have had the sentries pointed out, there are a couple of figures in rough clothing or leathers in little hides around the encampment. They are carrying something, but whether they are bows, staves, spears, or just sticks… it's difficult to tell through the forest and at this distance.

"You say that as if I taught her that," Arian hisses at her brother with a quick smile. But then she is falling into line and her helmet is slipped into place. She then falls quiet as they move further into the forests. She does not speak again, but instead focuses on the steps ahead of her. She then regards Kamron's words, and she winces slightly, knowing that her own noisy approach is to blame for the failure to approach silently. So, she just nods slightly, and waits to hear waht others have to say.

As Kamron draws up a plan of attack, Elrick remains silent before nodding his head in agreement in the end, "A two-pronged attack would be the best course of action, it will hopefully distract their sentries and confuse those who are responding to the alarms." There is a pause before he adds quickly, not because of anyone in particular but to ensure the success of this mission along with the longevity of the knights present, "Keep your shields up, we do not know if they have arrows or bolts waiting for us. But since they have posted sentries and concealed their shelters, they are prepared to defend themselves."

Failed.
Aluksander checked his battle of 10, he rolled 12.

As they hunker down at the edge of the clearing, Aluksander's brow furrows while he listens. He inspects their defenses as best he can without really being able to see anything and then thinks for a few moments. "Well, they are in a defensed position. Would it not make more sense to try and draw them out? Say, a feint and withdraw? Or, perhaps several of us could make for the front, while one or two attempt to slip around behind? If we aren't meant to kill them, perhaps we could convince them to parlay if we could apprehend the leader," Aluksander offers. "But, you are the head of this endeavor, Sir Kamron, so I'll defer to your judgement."

"I agree, two sides, there are enough of us." Catryn agrees in a soft spoken voice, not wanting to bring attention their way at the moment. Not until it was time at least. Looking to Elrick as he agrees, she nods in return. Her shield at the ready, she slides her helm over her head and draws her sword. "Ready when you all are." Looking at Aluksander, she gives a shake of her head, "One or two? That wouldn't be safe if there are more than we think…"

Kamron listens to the comments of the rest of the knights, nodding thoughtfully, remaining silent for a long moment, and then he nods more decisively, "I think you're right, Sir Catryn. And I think that they know the terrain better than we do, Sir Aluksander, and that is a danger if we turn this into a running battle. Sir Catryn, Sir Ailil, Sir Aluksander, the left side. Sir Arian, Sir Elrick, you're with me to the right. We move quickly, watch each others' backs, and if someone starts organizing things, go after them." And then he pulls on his helmet, pulls the axe from his belt, and gestures toward the little clearing, "Let's go."

The advance of the knights is unremarked-upon for a short while at least, until they are nearly at the edge of the clearing… and then a call goes up from one of the sentries, and the camp boils like a kicked-over anthill. Men and women in ragged clothing grasp spears, bows, and axes, pouring out of the shelters, calling out to one another. There are about a half-score of them, but without knowing exactly how many sentries there are, it's difficult to tell for sure.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 3.
Success
You make a check for Bowperson vs Arian at 11, you rolled 6.
Kamron rolls 3d6 and gets (6 6 3) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=3 Damage)
Success
Arian checked her dex of 15, she rolled 10.

Arian emerges from the cluster of trees, her sword at the ready and her shield up. She goes charging head on-in, heading straight for one of the bow-wielders. She is only several advancing steps before her shoulder takes the arrow, it half-deflected by her shield. This is what saves her from a wound, but does cause her sword swing to go terribly off-kilter and slicing through air. She takes several backwards steps to right herself, and immediately prepares for her next strike.

Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 6.
Critical Success!
You make a check for Axeperson vs Catryn at 11, you rolled 11.
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (1 1 5 5 2 3 4 1) for a total of: (22) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail -6 Shield=4 Damage, Double SIZ=Autoknockdown)

Apparently there is no happy medium. Someone was going to have to die at some point. Only, Catryn hadn't expected herself to be at the end of that. Immediately, the axeman takes a hit to her and she falls down. Flashes of a past hit she'd almost never recovered from have her trying to hurry to her feet so that she can continue to fight instead of getting killed while on the ground. Kamron wasn't within earshot, but she growls anyway, "Taken alive? Not hardly." She's out for blood now.

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 7.
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Elrick at 11, you rolled 2.
Elrick rolls 5d6 and gets (1 3 2 4 6) for a total of: (16) (-4 Leather=12 Damage, Major Wound)
Success
You make a check for Axeperson vs Elrick Unconscious at 12, you rolled 7.
Success
You make a check for Axeperson vs Elrick Dex at 10, you rolled 7.

Rushing in on the bandit camp, Elrick closes the distance between himself and the nearest common thug which happens to have just grabbed a spear when the alarm went up in the camp. The thrust from the bandit is easily deflected away and in return, the sword cuts deeply in a quick counter-slash. The man's thigh is cut open with blood spilling from the wound though he still lives and putting up a fight. Seeing another bandit come charging at him and has chosen to weather the hit that he knows will be coming as he tries to finish the wounded bandit first.

Success
Aluksander checked his sword of 15, he rolled 4.
Failed.
You make a check for Axeperson vs Aluksander at 11, you rolled 16.
Aluksander rolls 4d6 and gets (5 1 6 5) for a total of: (17) (-4 Leather=13 Damage, Major Wound)
Failed.
You make a check for Axeperson vs Aluksander Unconscious at 11, you rolled 12.

Creep … creep … creep … crap. When they are detected and the battle horn blown, Aluksander bellows and charges, using his size as intimidation now that the opportunity for stealth has expired. He rushes past the sentries and their bows, heading straight towards one of the rabble that has left the tents wielding an axe. No killing, right? Right. The axe wielder swings at him and Aluksander simply leans out of the way. He then drops the pommel of his sword squarely against the man's forehead, knocking him clean out. Harumph. Ducking a little as he scans the field for his next foe, he winces as he sees Catryn suffer a mighty blow. He turns and is about to head to assist her, when another axeman jumps out to challenge him! And what's this? Someone going to try to hit him with an arrow at close range? Well … this doesn't bode well. It's at least two millennium before anyone will be able to learn how to matrix-dodge!

Success
Ailil checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 5.
Failed.
You make a check for Bowperson vs Ailil at 11, you rolled 19.
Ailil rolls 5d6 and gets (2 3 1 3 2) for a total of: (11) (-4 Leather=7 Damage)

Ailil approaches combat with the subtlety of a sheepdog plowing into a knot of gamboling lambs. Drawing his plain, serviceable sword from its equally unremarkable sheath, he advances without a single shout or war-cry. No declamations of 'Faith and Broughton!' or 'Hambones for dinner!' The steady pace is measured to the point of automation, as though he counts the steps off in his head. He is a slower moving force than some but when he gets there, the Broughton knight delivers a fairly direct greeting to one of the archers. His kite shield on his arm gives no gleam as he raises it as a barrier to any impudent arrows or spears thrust his way, advancing as implacably as an incoming sea. Then he sweeps it aside a fraction to allow him the space to thrust the sword on the archer in a practiced sweep, rather than a crude hack. The first blow strikes flesh, though not as deeply as he might like, but the sword is blooded, and may the battle begin. His efficient style is serviceable, like the sword, without flourishes and bizarrely, he stays as silent as he can while another of the bandits wheels around to close in, raising an axe to go with the bowman. Greeeeat.

Critical Fail!
Kamron checked his Axe at 15, he rolled 20.
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Kamron at 11, you rolled 5.
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (4 4 6 4) for a total of: (18) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail -3 Chivalrous=3 Damage)
Success
Kamron checked his Dex at 13, he rolled 10.

Kamron charges out of the underbrush as the hue and cry goes up, raising up his shield before him, the axe hidden behind it as he seeks out a target and rushes a man carrying a spear in both hands. He drives the man back with sweeps of his axe, fending off the spear with his shield — and then the brigand dodges an axe-blow, and the axe sticks into the frame of one of the lean-tos. Kamron tugs at it to free it once, and then the spear comes flickering in while he's distracted, slipping past his shield and punching into his right shoulder, piercing the rings of his chainmail and drawing blood. Kamron cries out, flinching back, and the haft of his axe snaps under the head, leaving Kamron staggering back with a broken length of wood in his hands. He looks at it in surprise, shaking his head, then winces inside his helmet as he has to pull a second axe from his back, leaving him with only his dagger if this weapon fails as well. At least the two Laverstocks are still nearby if that happens.

As the knights slam into their foes, a man somewhat taller than the raggedy brigand, carrying a shield and wearing a boiled leather breastplate and a rusty metal helmet bellows at them to, "Hold! Hold! They don't have their horses! They're on our territory now, we can strike against our oppressors here and now!" Seeing one of his men fall, the loudmouth moves after Aluksander as one of the sentries turns back into the clearing, firing an arrow at the Pitton as well. The two archers engaged by Arian and Ailil drop their bows, drawing daggers from their belts and an axeperson comes after Ailil from within the camp. Elrick also gains some attention from a sentry, the spearperson coming charging at the Laverstock in support of his current opponent.

Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 14. (-5 for Knocked Down=Failure)
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Catryn at 16, you rolled 7. (Superior Position included)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (4 3 6 2) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=3 Damage, should have rolled to stand back up but GM forgot to prompt her)

Catryn cannot seem to get up this time, she goes full on defensive, her shield instead of her sword being used as she tries to get to her feet. Sure the sword will be used to block, but she's trying to keep her wits about her long enough to try and survive. He is steady chipping away at her and she's incapable of doing anything until she can get to her feet.. that is her only thought at the moment.

Failed.
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 17.
Critical Success!
You make a check for Bowperson vs Arian Dagger at 8, you rolled 8.
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (4 2 1 4 4 1) for a total of: (16) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=4 Damage)
Success
Arian checked her dex of 15, she rolled 12.
Success
Arian checked her Loyalty for Robert at 15, she rolled 10.

Arian underestimates that dagger. It slashes out at her, and she gasps in surprise as it finds a spot between her leather and armor to sink in and pierce her side. She holds her hand up to her ribs abruptly, glancing down at the blood. Then her eyes narrow, and she looks back up at the bowman. "Oppression?" She snarls. "I'll show you oppression!" She feels her face flush as her devoutness to the Earl draws a flood of emotion up from her, and she dances forward, preparing to strike out with her own dedication.

Critical Fail!
Aluksander checked his sword of 15, he rolled 20.
Success
You make a check for Axeman vs Aluksander at 15, you rolled 6.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (3 3 5 6 6) for a total of: (23) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=11 Damage, CON 11=Major Wound)
Failed.
Aluksander checked his dex of 10, he rolled 12.
Aluksander rolls 1d6 and gets (4) for a total of: (4) (CON loss)
Success
Aluksander makes a check for unconscious at 16, he rolled 1.
Success
Aluksander checked his valorous of 15, he rolled 12.

Success
You make a check for Bowman vs Aluksander at 6, you rolled 1. (-5 Cover: Shield included)
Kamron rolls 3d6 and gets (3 3 5) for a total of: (11) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=0 Damage)
Success
Aluksander checked his prudent of 10, he rolled 6.

Well, apparently, while being so distracted by the guy with the bow and arrow, Aluksander completely missed trying to defend himself against the guy with the axe. So, instead of getting his shield in a good, defensible position, he puts it at an angle, which causes the axe to glance off of it. And right into his shoulder. Whoopie. Aluksander cries out in pain and drops his sword, falling to the ground. However, there's still a battle going on, so Aluksander tries to reclaim his sword, all the while holding his shield up, obviously quite intent on defending himself for the moment. No way he's going to manage to fight the axeman, dodge an arrow, get his sword, AND STAND UP without something catastrophic happening. Yes, defense it will be.

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 11.
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Elrick at 11, you rolled 1.
Elrick rolls 5d6 and gets (1 5 4 3 3) for a total of: (16) (-4 Leather=12 Damage, Major Wound, Unconscious)

Success
You make a check for Second Spearperson vs Elrick at 11, you rolled 5. (Unopposed)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (6 5 4 2) for a total of: (17) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail=5 Damage)
Failed.
Elrick checked his dex of 8, he rolled 10.

The first bandit that Elrick faces is cut down swiftly with a fierce stab into the man's belly, spilling blood and innards, letting the scum fall to the dirt in agony while death slowly and painfully claims him. His silent hope that the second bandit's spear won't pierce his armor is not answered as it breaks some of the links of mail, stabbing into his shoulder. With a growl, he answers with a swipe of his blade as if to ward the bandit off before bringing his shield in, ready to attempt to deflect the next attack.

Failed.
Kamron checked his Axe at 15, he rolled 19.
Critical Success!
You make a check for Spearman vs Kamron at 11, you rolled 11.
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (2 2 2 4 5 3 3 4) for a total of: (25) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail -3 Chivalrous=10 Damage)
Success
Kamron checked his Dex at 13, he rolled 9.
Success
Kamron checked his Love for Arian at 19, he rolled 2.

Kamron thrusts his shield forward at the spearman before him, only to overbalance as he brings out the heavy Saxon axe he was carrying previously. The spearpoint slips past his shield again, catching him in the left thigh and nearly causing him to fall. Forcing himself fully up again, Kamron looks to the Laverstocks on either side. The sight of Elrick being knocked down causes his blood to run cold, but the glance to the other side reveals Arian bleeding, and that chill is replaced by a rush of rage. "No." At first, it's quiet, and then his voice rises louder, "No! Not here!"

Success
Ailil checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 14. (Skill Split: 1=Failure)
Failed.
You make a check for Bowman Dagger vs Ailil at 8, you rolled 17.

Success
Ailil checked his sword of 15, he rolled 5. (Skill Split: 14=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Axeman vs Ailil at 11, you rolled 15.
Ailil rolls 5d6 and gets (4 5 6 5 3) for a total of: (23) (-4 Armor=19 Damage, Major Wound, Unconscious)

Fighting between two foes is something that Ailil manages with a certain degree of caginess. When the archer abandons his bow for a dagger, the knight mostly turns to a defensive stance and uses the sword rather than his shield to parry what he deems a far lesser threat than the axe-wielding bandit fired up by strange notions of oppression. The first ill-conceived attempt to slash at the already bleeding archer is really more of a feint, and when the axe sweeps at his head, he throws the kite shield up to at least intercept a blow or two. Forceful strikes crash down on him, cutting into the painted face of the shield, and he only grunts at the force. A big man by most standards, he favours his back foot and pushes forward, punching the shield to open up his opponent for a harder stab than what he faced before. Yeah, he's not in a good mood about this.

The brigands seem quite enthused by their successes, trying to press their advantage while they still have it. The axeman standing over Aluksander shouts in triumph, "See? See what we can do when we work together?" Several of his fellows have fallen, however, despite their successes.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 7. (+10 Inspired=Success, roll of 13)
Failed.
You make a check for Bowperson Dagger vs Arian at 8, you rolled 11.
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (3 1 1 3) for a total of: (8) (-4 Leather=4 Damage)

Arian does not seem to notice Kamron's abrupt burst of passion, as it were. She is too busy dodging another thrust of the dagger and then taking an opportunity to swipe her sword at the man's exposed side. She does not manage to send the man sprawling, but she delivers a shallow wound all the same. Then she is sweeping around, and her hidden gaze catches Kamron. She hesitates a bit, but then offer shim a quick nod before she goes back to her full offensive, not wanting to give the bowman another chance.

Success
Aluksander checked his sword of 15, he rolled 2. (+10 Defensive -5 Knocked Down=Success)
Success
You make a check for Axeperson vs Aluksander at 20, you rolled 4. (Superior Position included)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (4 1 6 1 6) for a total of: (18) (-12 Reinforced Chainmail -6 Shield=0 Damage)
Failed.
Aluksander checked his dex of 10, he rolled 18.

Yes, defense, for all he's worth! Aluksander hunkers down behind his shield, which does what it's supposed to do and keeps him from getting killed. Of course, it doesn't do much else, as he has to keep hunkered behind the metal fortress. He grits his teeth and says a silent prayer, because he's obviously not getting /himself/ out of this mess!

Failed.
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 18. (+10 Defensive -5 Knocked Down=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Spearperson vs Catryn at 16, you rolled 17. (Superior Position included)

Determination finally pays off in the end and Catryn manages to get to her feet. It's then she notices Aluksander down and unable to get up and despite knowing she will have two on her, she moves in to try and distract the man attacking him. "Get to your feet man!" she calls to the Pitton knight while trying to fight to stave off both of them to give him a chance.

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 14. (+10 Defensive -5 Knocked Down=Success)
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Elrick at 16, you rolled 5. (Superior Position included)

While being driven to one knee after taking the painful spear to the shoulder, Elrick's defensive tactic works as the feinting swipe causes the spearman to hesitate. The thrust of the sharpened weapon is easily knocked away and with that opening, the Laverstock Knight climbs to his feet. With an angry growl, he now focuses on a punishing blow on the bandit which does leave him open if the spearman manages to strike quick enough.

Failed.
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 17. (+10 Inspired=Critical Success)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Spearperson vs Kamron at 11, you rolled 20.
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (3 1 3 3 6 5 1 3) for a total of: (25) (-4 Leather=21 Damage, Major Wound, Unconscious)

Failed.
You make a check for Bowperson vs Kamron at 6, you rolled 7. (-5 Cover: Shield included)

Red rage boils within Kamron's helm, and it gives him the focus he needs. Stepping forward, he slams the side of his shield to his right, across his body, pinning the man's spear between shield and the shelter and snapping it off below the point. This causes the brigand to stagger, and Kamron brings his axe up and over, burying it in the man's shoulder from above and sending him crumbling. Without even a pause, his helmet turns toward Arian, and he notes to Elrick, "Covering Rhi." Now that's interesting, the unthinking use of a nickname…

Critical Success!
Ailil checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 15.
Failed.
You make a check for Bowperson dagger vs Ailil at 8, you rolled 19.
Ailil rolls 10d6 and gets (3 3 5 6 1 3 4 3 2 4) for a total of: (34) (-4 Leather=30 Damage, Mortal Wound)

One cutting blow on an axe-wielding bandit sends him shuffling off the mortal coil on a ruby flood down to the yawning chasm of Hell. The open wound torn into his ribs punctures vital parts and the man collapses, leaving Ailil the freedom to withdraw the unlovely length of steel from bone, muscle, and pierced organs leaking their unmentionable fluids. Without a word, he staggers forward two steps and drops that slightly defensive stance. Clenched hand grips his sword, biceps tensing under his chain sleeves, and he hoists the blade in an overhand swing that relies entirely on strength, nothing on grace or finesse. Not that it matters. The force accrued behind it is considerable, and he chops right through the archer taking a haphazard slash at him. The edge bites and cuts into the neck, and it keeps on going, going, going. When it ends, someone might be missing limbs. Maybe.

Failed.
You make a check for Spearperson vs Elrick at 11, you rolled 14.
Critical Success!
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 15. (+10 Uncontrolled Attack=Critical Success)
Elrick rolls 10d6 and gets (4 4 1 3 4 1 4 4 2 6) for a total of: (33) (-4 Leather=29 Damage, Mortal Wound)

"Go, Kamron!" Elrick growls out as he is focused on the bandit that is in front of him, knowing that his sister is in trouble and he is unable to disengage just yet. That only adds to the fury of his strike which the common thug no doubt senses, the spear missing its hurried thrust. The razor sharp edge of the Laverstock's blade cuts right through the victim. Without chainmail to protect the bandit, the neck is parted neatly, the vertebrae offering not enough resistance to cold, hard steel. The head goes flying and Elrick immediately turns to survey the situation, no doubt searching for his next target. Seeing Catryn get cut down, his choice is clear and he advances upon that bandit.

Failed.
Catryn makes a check for Catryn sword vs Her own opponent at 8, she rolled 9.
Critical Success!
You make a check for Spearperson vs Catryn at 11, you rolled 11.
Kamron rolls 10d6 and gets (2 5 4 5 4 1 3 3) for a total of: (27) (-12 Reinforced Chain=15 Damage, 12 CON=Major Wound, 2 HP remaining=Unconscious)
Catryn rolls 1d6 and gets (4) for a total of: (4) (CON loss)

Failed.
Catryn makes a check for Catryn sword vs Aluks opponent at 7, she rolled 11.
Failed.
You make a check for Axeman vs Catryn at 6, you rolled 17.

So that was a very, very bad idea. When would Catryn learn to stop volunteering for things? Very possibly right this very moment. Taking a hard hit, without her shield, she falls to the ground, majorly hurt and barely clinging to life from the three wounds she had taken, mostly the last one though. She is unconscious, so if anyone ever wanted to get rid of a Burcombe now was the chance!

Critical Fail!
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 20. (+10 Inspired=Critical Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Bowman Dagger vs Arian at 8, you rolled 10.
Arian rolls 8d6 and gets (1 1 6 5 2 2 5 1) for a total of: (23) (-4 Leather=19 Damage, Major Wound, Unconscious)

It seems as though Kamron and Arian can fall into sync with one another. When the Dinton knight steps up to help the Laverstock, Arian sweeps to the bowman's left so that the pair can flank. She slices out her sword, aiming to open the man's side while Kamron does his worst with his axe. She looks up only when the bowman collapses in a bloodied heap, and then sees the fallen Catryn. "Kam!" She says sharply, and she starts to move toward the fallen woman and the spearman who has felled her.

Success
Ailil checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 12.
Success
You make a check for Axeman vs Ailil at 7, you rolled 2.
Ailil rolls 5d6 and gets (5 1 1 4 4) for a total of: (15) (-6 Hard Leather -6 Shield=3 Damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Axeman Dex at 11, you rolled 12.

Ailil carries a gore-streaked sword and a battered shield, a count of two bodies, and no limit to his patience. He advances past the fallen archer, looking around in short to determine the worst front to shore up, picking up his slowed pace after seeing Aluksander flagging in the battle. Shield raised, he starts into an offensive charge to strike at the unbloodied opponent. He throws up his kite shield to serve as a battering ram in a tactic serving him in good stead, his general path placing him between the fallen Pitton man and his foe. "I have this one, sir!" Then he punches the sword violently forward as he slips back his own defensive measure, giving the axe-wielder an opportunity to strike back. Steel meets steel, but there's a cold look of concentration in his blazing eyes and dark face. The two contend for a moment and then he hacks the blade down into the man's side. Fresh red lines. Hungry sword. Yum.

Success
Aluksander checked his sword of 15, he rolled 8. (+10 Defensive -5 Knocked Down=Success)
Success
You make a check for Axeman vs Aluksander at 7, you rolled 2. (Skill Split: 2. +5 Superior Position included)
Success
Aluksander checked his merciful of 10, he rolled 5.

There's more smashing against his shield, this time, but with all of the other knights coming to his aid, Aluksander manages to clamber back to his feet! … right about the time that Catryn falls from hers. Blinking at the site of the knight unconscious next to him, Aluksander steps in beside her, intent to shield her himself. "Be alert, sirs! They've downed Sir Catryn! I'll protect her," he calls out, standing guard over the felled femme fatale.

Critical Fail!
Kamron checked his Axe at 15, he rolled 20. (+10 Inspired=Critical Success)
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (3 4 3 3 6 3 3 4) for a total of: (29) (-4 Leather=25 Damage, Mortal Wound)

Failed.
You make a check for Bowman vs Kamron at 6, you rolled 11. (-5 Cover: Shield included)
Failed.
Kamron checked his Prudent at 10, he rolled 18.
Critical Fail!
Kamron checked his Reckless at 10, he rolled 20.

Kamron really didn't need to help Arian, but it's a good image for the future. As he turns toward Arian's foe, he raises up his shield, collecting a second arrow in the wooden surface and then sweeping his axe down across the shafts, snapping them off in place. He doesn't even bother with the shield as he comes in on Arian's prey, however, just sweeping the axe up and into the man's back. Arian's blow would have been enough, but between the two of them, the man had no chance. He nudges the lady knight's shoulder with the edge of his shield, and then he looks around the field, checking Elrick and then advancing into the melee on the other side of the clearing, "Remember, we need the leader alive!" Arian may be charging, but he's moving a little more carefully, backing her up and ensuring that the bowman does not get a shot in on their backs as they advance.

Failed.
You make a check for Bowman Valorous at 8, you rolled 19.
Success
You make a check for Spearman Valorous at 8, you rolled 1.
Failed.
You make a check for Axeman Valorous at 13, you rolled 17.

The bowman, however, has seen how the odds are stacking up and is in full retreat. He flees into the woods, sprinting ahead through the underbrush. Watching men and women being cut down all around him and with a new bloody wound in his side courtesy of Ailil, the man at the center of the three knights drops his axe and raises up that hand, still holding his round shield in the other hand, "I yield. I will submit to justice." This seems to infuriate the spearperson, who looks to the knights circling, and snarls aloud, jabbing and thrusting, not anywhere near surrendering.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 12.
Success
You make a check for Spearperson vs Arian at 4, you rolled 2.
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (1 1 2 3) for a total of: (7) (-4 Leather=3 Damage)

That poor spearman — he didn't stand a chance. Arian is joining Elrick and Ailil as they all strike out against the spearman. She is quick, precise though does not immediately manage to cause the damage that Ailil and Elrick bestow upon the bandit. Arian steps away quickly, giving some room to the fallen knight. She knows little about the care of wounds save for minor injuries, so she gives space to those who do. She glances over toward Kamron, and her hand moves nervously around the hilt of the sword.

Failed.
You make a check for Spearperson vs Elrick at 3, you rolled 18.
Failed.
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 18. (+10 Uncontrolled Attack=Critical Success)
Elrick rolls 10d6 and gets (4 2 1 1 6 3 6 5 5 6) for a total of: (39) (-4 Leather=35 Damage, Mortal Wound)

Delivering knightly justice to the last resisting bandit, Elrick's charges forth with his shield first, bashing the man back, rendering his spear thrust ineffective in any form of defense for himself. With the man momentarily stunned, the Laverstock neatly plants his blade into the man's chest, slipping the steel in between the ribs. Since the bandit has no real armor on, there was no resistance as the blade slips all the way through. Then he withdraws, pulling the blade back after it is coated with fresh blood.

As the others disembowel and dismember the person who took Catryn down, Aluksander glowers darkly at the axeman. "Oh, you call for 'justice' now, when all of your compatriots are cut down. But it is you who have wrought this slaughter, today. It is you who have stirred up their hearts to battle. And it is you who shall be held responsible, not only for my injuries, but also for the injuries suffered by the good Sir Catryn," Aluksander says to the man. "Were I not a Christian, and were it not against the express commandments of your Lord, I would end you, here and now. I only pray that the Lord is more merciful than I would be."

Failed.
You make a check for Spearperson vs Ailil at 4, you rolled 13.
Success
Ailil checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 4. (+10 Uncontrolled Attack=Success, 9 roll)
Ailil rolls 5d6 and gets (6 5 3 6 6) for a total of: (26) (-4 Leather=22 Damage, Major Wound, Unconscious)

The axeman who throws up his hand to surrender earns a curt nod out of Ailil, though he can scarce see through the mire of his wet black hair and sweat dripping from his brow. "Acknowledged, sir!" No other sounds have come from him verbally to confirm his mood, and the Broughton interposes himself to find the spearman's back. With three knights prowling like wolves around a boar, the outcome is far from certain. He has no kindness reserved for anyone, and he awaits Arian and Elrick to distract the bastard before getting the chance. It is a hideous thing, to take a man through the back, but war is never a beautiful craft unless overseen by Ishtar. Another hole ripped into his back forms the entry and exit wound as he yanks his blade out, and then twists around. It will be a short bit of business for him to wipe the steel off and carry it naked, then hurry over towards Catryn.

Kamron bleeds from his left thigh and his right shoulder, holding his gore-covered axe and breathing heavily inside his bucket helm as he looks down at the surrendered axeman. Aluksander's words cause him to heft the axe, for a moment considering the man's fate. And then he kicks aside the dropped axe, slipping the haft of his own into the loop at his belt, and gives the brigand a half-hearted kick, "Roll over and put your hands behind your back. You will be delivered to justice, and may God have mercy on you." The words come out pained, and through panting breaths (walking for an hour in armor and then fighting will wear a guy out), but they are clear enough.

Failed.
Kamron checked his vengeful at 10, he rolled 13.
Failed.
Kamron checked his merciful at 10, he rolled 14.
Success
Ailil checked his Just of 16, he rolled 5.
Failed.
Elrick checked his just of 4, he rolled 17.
Critical Success!
Elrick checked his arbitrary of 16, he rolled 16.

One bandit has fled, but the leader has been captured, and four others were still breathing when the spearman was slaughtered. They are not breathing much longer, however, as tempers are running high and they would have to be carried at least an hour to reach the horses. There is some discussion, some debate, but in the end the brigand leader has to watch his people put out of their misery, and then is marched back through the woods. Two of the less-hurt knights carefully carry Catryn on a litter made of spears and blankets from the encampment after Ailil saw to the worst of her wounds.

Reaching the squires means that the wounded can ride rather than walk, and the trip back to Littleworth is quicker, the party arriving late in the afternoon. Frantic and skilled efforts by the Lady of the manor save the Burcombe knight's life, although she has a long recovery ahead of her. After Sir Catryn is out of the metaphorical woods as well as the literal ones, Lady Littleworth treats the rest of the wounded as well. By the time she gets to Sir Elrick, she is nearly dead on her feet, and not as careful as she would normally be. But her apologies the next morning are sincere, and Sir Catryn, Sir Aluksander, and Sir Elrick stay on for at least a week to heal up under the careful care of the Littleworths.

Healing for Catryn:
Success
Ailil checked his FirstAid of 13, he rolled 10.
Ailil rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)
Critical Success!
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid at 17, you rolled 17.
Kamron rolls 1d3+3 and gets (3) for a total of: (6)
Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid at 17, you rolled 7.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)
Success
You make a check for Lady Littleworth's Chirurgery for Catryn at 17, you rolled 5.

Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Aluksander at 17, you rolled 16.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)
Success
You make a check for Lady Littleworth's Chirurgery for Aluksander at 17, you rolled 4.

Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Arian at 17, you rolled 12.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)
Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Arian at 17, you rolled 16.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)

Critical Fail!
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Elrick at 17, you rolled 20.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)
Success
You make a check for Lady Littleworth's Chirurgery for Elrick at 17, you rolled 3.

Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Kamron at 17, you rolled 13.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)
Success
You make a check for Littleworth Lady's First Aid for Kamron at 17, you rolled 14.
Kamron rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)
Success
You make a check for Lady Littleworth Chirurgery for Kamron at 17, you rolled 6.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License