(514-07-13) Delayed Shipment
Summary: A shipment of lumber due for Sarum in the repairs after the Saxon raid is overdue. The Earl sends a quarter of Knights to investigate.
Date: July 13, 514
Related: None.
cyndeyrn isyld martyn rozenn 


In the aftermath of the Siege of Sarum, several parts of the Castle itself require reconstruction. Earl Robert has made orders throughout the county and beyond for materials, which are not inexpensive, to aid in the reinforcement and renovation of several of the structures that had been torn down as a result of the attack.

Unfortunately, a very critical supply of lumber coming from Silchester has been delayed, which hampers the efforts of the local builders. A group of knights has been sent to investigate and possibly retrieve the shipment back to the capital.

It's one of the joys of being not just a Guardsman, but one training to replace a Commander who is likely going to have to retire before long. You get put on seemingly mundane duties. Like overseeing repairs. Checking on a delayed shipment? Practically a relief. Rozenn de Burcombe had to hide a touch of how eager for the mission she was. A chance to get out of Sarum and do something. She's had her charger near the head of whatever arrangement they've settled into on the road, letting her squire lag behind with the rouncy. No lance in hand at this time, but she has her shield and sword on hand instead. Opting, perhaps, for mobility over the more traditional image. There may be a raiding party about, afterall.

With all that has happened lately, Martyn de Baverstock is also a part of this group going to investigate. He looks rather relaxed as they travel, looking between the others as he sits in the saddle. Similar to the Burcombe knight, he also has his shield and sword on hand.

As ever, Sir Cyndeyrn de Dinton is neither overly exuberant or melancholy, taking on this task like most others in his usual quiet fashion. Presumably, as not just the heir of a vassal knight but now one of the Earl's personal retainers, he is along to offer some small degree of oversight or at least reporting on the Earl's behalf. Or perhaps he's just some extra muscle, which the young man also has in some degree of abundance. In any case, he rides along in the usual configuration, he on his warhorse and squire behind.

Investigations? Maybe not Isyld's forte, but she could wield a mean axe and so she's there with the others, hopefully it won't be needed. She rides along with the others, naturally looking towards the big guy for direction, "So, what do you think has happened?" It is directed towards the Dinton, but she glances back towards her squire to make sure she was good back there.

Success
Isyld checked her intrigue of 15, she rolled 7.

Critical Fail!
Martyn checked his intrigue of 7, he rolled 20.

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his intrigue of 3, he rolled 8.

The only hint that was provided to the knights is that the merchant caravan containing the shipment was last seen in Allington. A heavy rain stopped the merchants in charge of transporation for a night before they resumed the trek to Sarum, but they haven't been seen since.

Upon arriving in Porton, located to the northeast of the capital, the group receives news that there have been brigands taking advantage of the relative chaos in Salisbury after the Saxon attacks to harrass and rob itinerant merchants and the like, where resistance is met with utter brutality. There are reports one such event took place near Boscone, which is a manor and village between Allington and Porton itself.

On the road, a few hours later, close to twilight, what happened becomes pretty clear: lumber is thrown everywhere, with a canvas meant to shield it from exposure to the sun ripped from an upturned wagon. Fire has consumed the corpse of a presumed merchant, and a workhorse tries, in vain, to struggle against death.

Failed.
You check your Awareness at 15, you rolled 19.

Success
Isyld checked her awareness of 15, she rolled 3.

Failed.
Martyn checked his Awareness of 10, he rolled 19.

Success
Cyndeyrn checked his awareness of 8, he rolled 2.

Slowing as they approach the scene of the apparent theft, Cyndeyrn makes a brief survey of things from his high vantage, but is quickly drawn to the treeline or other nearby cover instead. Evidently, he's spotted someone, and rather than attempting any sort of subtlety here, he hoists himself in the saddle, adjusting his posture as if for ready action, and lowers his lance in the direction of - well, wherever he sees what he sees. "Brigands, you are caught at your malfeasance. Surrender now and perhaps mercy will find you, be it in this life or the next."

Her work and training in what it takes to be a 'Commander' might also lend to why Rozenn has opted to place herself more in a leading position in the caravan. Certainly there's no lagging behind or even a lack of attention paid. If anything, she's almost hyper-alert at times. Relaxing ride? Not for this knight! When they receive word of brigands, she becomes more seemingly dedicated than even before. There's frustration in the woman's demeanor. After all, there's a high chance these men are Salisbury men themselves; taking advantage of their own brethren! When they arrive on the mess of lumber, she slows and lifts a hand to help signal a halt down the line. The woman is looking over what's laid out before them, but she's currently rather staring at the burned corpse. Well, that's not something you see every day. Ew. When Cyndeyrn speaks up, she looks over; leaning to properly secure her shield and take sword to hand. "How many of them do you see?" This, called to the other knight as she pulls around to advance in the direction he has aimed his lance.

Martyn's eyes narrows a bit as he sees the chaos out there, with the burned corpse and all. Pausing as he hears Cyndeyrn's words, he starts readying both his shield and sword, glancing back towards the squires rather briefly. Waiting to hear what's said now.

Looking towards the shadows, Isyld narrows her gaze on the men she sees there. As they are addressed, she reaches for her lance, prepared for a run in if necessary with one of the two mounted. There's a glance over the others really briefly, but she keeps her main focus on the six armed men.

The notice by the knights of their presence has the brigands spurring into action; the ones that are mounted await for something while four footmen arrive, bearing weapons, intent on murdering the knights who found them out!

Failed.
You check your Sword at 15, you rolled 17.
Success due to +5 for mounted.

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his lance of 15, he rolled 18.
Success due to +10 for charge w/lance.

Success
Galahad makes a check for Sword Bandit vs Cyndeyrn at 12, it rolled 3.

Cyndeyrn rolls 12d6 and gets (5 3 1 6 5 2 1 2 5 5 5 2) for a total of: (42)

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Axe Bandit vs Rozenn at 12, it rolled 18.

Success
Martyn checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 2.

Success

Success
Galahad makes a check for Spear vs Martyn at 12, it rolled 2.

Rozenn rolls 4d6 and gets (1 1 6 2) for a total of: (10)

Success
Galahad makes a check for Axe vs Isyld at 12, it rolled 8.

Galahad rolls 4d6 and gets (6 4 5 5) for a total of: (20)

Failed.
Isyld checked her horsemanship of 15, she rolled 19.
Isyld rolls 1d6 and gets (6) for a total of: (6)

Critical Fail!
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 20.

Critical Fail!
Martyn checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 20.
Crit Success due to +5 for mounted.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Axe vs Isyld at 12, it rolled 17.

Critical Fail!
You check your Sword at 15, you rolled 20.
Crit Success due to +5 for mounted.

Galahad rolls 8d6 and gets (3 5 1 3 4 4 3 3) for a total of: (26)

Rozenn rolls 8d6 and gets (3 6 2 6 1 1 6 1) for a total of: (26)

Martyn rolls 8d6 and gets (5 3 4 1 6 3 1 6) for a total of: (29)

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his spear of 6, he rolled 8.
Success due to +5 for mounted.

Cyndeyrn rolls 6d6 and gets (5 6 5 2 2 6) for a total of: (26)

There is a reason cavalry rules this era, and the knight is like a king on the battlefield. Cyndeyrn demonstrates the principle as he rides into their lot, lowering his lancetip from its typical position that wuold be used against a simiarly armed foe, to pierce his footbound foe. The man is not able to even bring his sword near to use before he is impaled, and flung some distance, landing in a bloody pile. As the rest of the knights meet the footmen, he spots Isyld knocked from her horse and whirls to ride to her aid, catching the man unawares from the rear, not with the full force of a charge, but just a thrust… which from the large Dinton is still nearly as damning.

Spearman, face mounted knight with a sword. Martyn's slash is forceful, the first one hitting the spear that's brought up to block him with enough force to break the spear in two. Not giving the man a chance to use any of the sword parts, the Baverstock swings again, this time forcefully knocking the spearman out. Turning his horse a bit more, he looks around to see if there's more enemies about, or if any of his comrades in arms might need assistance.

When the men upon foot appear, Rozenn is swift to descend upon one with an axe. She avoids his initial swing, cutting into him. It's glancing, but an expert shift upon her horse and the right pull upon reins brings the Burcombe knight back around in such a way that she's able to catch him utterly unawares. The brigand falls to the ground, unconscious. The Dinton heir is already aiding Isyld, but Rozenn kicks her charger into action; moving to defend the fallen woman so that she can get back astride her own horse in preparation for the men upon horseback.

The charge was off, but Isyld was already dedicated in it, so she follows through. It's unfortunate when her lance only grazes the man and his axe hits her hard enough to unhorse her. The tumble to the ground was painful enough and the man is still bearing down on her, axe drawn. At a disadvantage, she takes yet another hit and braces for another, but the Dinton heir is there in time to save the day and her life. Dark eyes find him through the helm, "Thank you," she offers briefly before seeking another weapon, her sword, to use against any other enemy.. while trying to find her horse.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Bandit 1 Valorous at 13, it rolled 16.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Bandit 2 Valorous at 13, it rolled 19.

It seems that the quick way with which their colleagues so to speak were completely obliterated causes the two riders to run away. "Let's go! These bastards're tough!" One shouts over to the other, and they start riding off down the road, clearly panicked.

Should no one go into pursuit, that is the last they hear of them.

Otherwise, one must catch up with them after the headstart.

Another issue, of course, is the lumber by the wayside. A manor is not too far from this road, so perhaps a prudent option is to request for assistance.

Success
You check your horsemanship at 15, you rolled 14.

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 17.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Sword Bandit Horsemanship at 10, it rolled 18.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit Horsemanship at 10, it rolled 17.

Failed.
Martyn checked his Horsemanship of 14, he rolled 19.

Success
Isyld checked her horsemanship of 15, she rolled 13.

Success
You check your Sword at 15, you rolled 14.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Sword Bandit Sword at 12, it rolled 19.

Rozenn rolls 4d6 and gets (6 1 1 6) for a total of: (14)

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Sword Bandit Horsemanship at 10, it rolled 13.

Galahad rolls 1d6 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)

Success
Isyld checked her lance of 15, she rolled 12.

Critical Success!
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit at 12, it rolled 12.

Galahad rolls 8d6 and gets (3 4 2 2 2 4 3 6) for a total of: (26)

Galahad rolls 1d6 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)

Success
Cyndeyrn checked his lance of 15, he rolled 1.

Success
You check your Sword at 15, you rolled 13.

Success
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit at 12, it rolled 2.

Galahad rolls 4d6 and gets (6 3 2 2) for a total of: (13)

Success
Galahad makes a check for Dismounted Sword Bandit at 7, it rolled 4.

Rozenn rolls 4d6 and gets (3 3 4 5) for a total of: (15)

Success
Martyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 12.

Martyn rolls 4d6 and gets (5 2 1 3) for a total of: (11)

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 16.

Success
You check your sword at 15, you rolled 13.

Success
Martyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 2.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit v Martyn at 7, it rolled 11.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit v Cyndeyrn at 8, it rolled 18.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Dismounted Sword Dex at 10, it rolled 18.

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Dismounted Sword Dex at 7, it rolled 14.

Rozenn rolls 4d6 and gets (1 3 3 5) for a total of: (12)

Of course, Cyndeyrn looks toward the men he spotted ahorse in the first place, maneuvering to prepare to meet them next after he has dislodged his lancetip from his second foe. Yet the riders seem to take the common-sense approach to things that the footmen did not, turning to flee. Of course, the Justice-minded Dinton makes toward pursuit, at least if he can catch them quickly, not keen on allowing the likely leaders of the little band to escape where their fellows fell. He gives his steed an eager squeaze and charges ahead - well, trots ahead. After the initial charge, his horse seems to be taking a laisez-faire approach to things. His arrival to the battle is likewise not so momentous as the first, as his lance is deflected and he earns some light grazing blow in return, and then finds difficulty striking with his blade thereafter, clashing weapons a bit ineffectually, although perhaps distracting his foe from Martyn's own attack.

There's just something about a fleeing target. Or maybe it's the fact that the two on horse are at risk of getting away with murdering someone in service to the Earl. Either way, Rozenn puts heels to horse and kicks off after the two that try to get away. She's just enough more skilled or on a quicker charger, but either way, the woman is able to come up at the man's flank and swing her sword to cut into him. It's a strong enough blow that he's unmounted, hitting the ground. She looks, only briefly, to Isyld's plight; a deeper frown crossing her features. But with Cyndeyrn and Martyn both going to the other knight's aid, she's able to round again on the man she's dismounted. And as the other two are able to keep the knight off and away from Isyld, she works once again, rounding a third time on her fallen man; keeping him from his horse, Isyld, or even running away. Oh no, there's no escape.

Martyn rolls 4d6 and gets (3 6 5 4) for a total of: (18)

Success
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit Horsemanship at 10, it rolled 9.

Success
Cyndeyrn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 2.

Isyld is having an off night, she rides well, even injured, towards the fleeing bandits, even managing to catch them. Only, it seems to be a trap as he circles around back towards her, spear out as she rides for him. Once more, she takes a hard hit and is again knocked from her horse. This time she doesn't get up. She's laying on the ground in a crumpled heap as her squire hurries to collect her horse and thank those ssising her.

Success
You check your FirstAid at 15, you rolled 11.

Success
Martyn checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 3.

Rozenn rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)

Failed.
Galahad makes a check for Mounted Spear Bandit vs Martyn at 6, it rolled 18.

Critical Fail!
Galahad checked its Mounted Spear Bandit vs Cyndeyrn=6 of , it rolled 20.

Cyndeyrn rolls 6d6 and gets (5 2 1 2 5 2) for a total of: (17)

Martyn rolls 4d6 and gets (3 6 2 5) for a total of: (16)

After a short battle, the knights of Salisbury successfully dispatch the brigands that have been terrifying the road to Leuvcomagus, and the road is slick with the blood of the man Cyndeyrn killed with the charge, while the horses of the bandits that were mounted are spooked in the aftermath and flee. The bodies of the outlaws litter the ground along that of the merchants, but the matter of the lumber is still unresolved.

Success
You check your FirstAid at 15, you rolled 4.

Rozenn rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)

Success
You check your FirstAid at 15, you rolled 9.

Rozenn rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)

Critical Fail!
You check your FirstAid at 15, you rolled 20.

Once the fleeing men are down, Cyndeyrn brings his horse around, scanning quickly to make sure there is no other threat nearby, and then looking down toward where Rozenn tends to their own fallen knight. "We should take her to Boscone to recover safely, as well as to ask if we might find some aid in dealing with all the lumber. Hopefully the wagon is still functional, that it might be reloaded and then continue on if a new driver can be secured."

While Cyndeyrn and Martyn see to the other brigand, Rozenn is quick to wheel away once hers falls to the ground. She dismounts on the run, nearly, jogging up to Isyld and grabbing the supplies from whichever squire has seen to provide them properly. She gets as much done as she can, which seems largely functional. Thank the gods for small favors. Hair loosened from braid beneath helm, the woman glances up to the Dinton and gives a quick nod. "I think that will be our best option. It's lumber at the Earl's request. I don't see them turning us down."

Having helped taking down the last of the bandits, Martyn nods a bit as he starts cleaning his sword. "How is she?" he asks, nodding towards the fallen Isyld, before he nods again. "We will need a competent driver, to bring the lumber back to Sarum."

The trip to Boscone is relatively quick; even with a wounded Isyld, it should not be too much trouble for the knights to arrive. When they do, however, it is night, and the moon is merely a dark reminder of its full splendor. It is cloudy enough that not many stars can be seen in the sky, but those that are visible remain bright as ever.

The Manor in question seems to be very distinctly pagan, what with symbols belonging to the Morrigan hanging from some altar that must serve as an impromptu chapel for those of the pagan faith. The Manor House, thankfully, is still illuminated with candle light, and the crackling of a fireplace can be heard from behind a door.

The knights are taken in, as Sir de Boscone is not a man who tarries in receiving his fellow knights of Salisbury, and are given some food and drink before he sits down.

A man of thirty-something years of age, Sir de Boscone has a rich blond beard and piercing blue eyes, but a quite remarkable absence of hair on his scalp. "Sirs, I hope my hospitality is not lacking. It has been sometime since we received the Earl's knights in this very hall."

"We are most grateful for it, sir," Cyndeyrn will answer the man, making sure that Isyld is brought in with care and settled somewhere. He gives a fairly diligent reporting of the overall course of events, their mission and the shipment ambushed along the road, along with the fate of the men responsible. "Little more can be done now, and hopefully the supplies will stay the night with the men vanquished and the difficulty of moving them, but we would hope for some strong men from the village to aid in reloading the shipment come the morrow, that it might be set back on course to arrive in Sarum and repairs on the castle there be underway. Our injured companion, it seems, may have to impinge on you a while longer also, until she is well enough to make the trip home."

"She'll be fine," Rozenn decides, after a final glance over the woman. "She needs a good meal and rest, but she'll make it without too much time to recover." It might take some work to get Isyld awake or onto a horse with someone, but at least she won't bleed out on the way to Boscone. The Burcombe seems somewhat curious with the symbolism to the Morrigan, but she is just as thankful as the others when they come in. "She should not need overlong, as she was not too badly injured. I am sure the Earl will be greatly appreciative and pleased to hear of any aid you can provide."

Martyn nods in agreement with Cyndeyrn, with a brief smile to their host. "We are all very grateful for your hospitality, and your aid in our task." Otherwise keeping silent as he listens to the others for now.

"That explains why the merchants have not come here for quite sometime," de Boscone remarks with a sigh, leaning forward as he considers the predicament of the knights, looking between Martyn, Rozenn and Cyndeyrn. "I can provide a wagon and a workhorse to assist you in your endeavors, though I cannot spare a farmhand at this moment," not when they're so close to harvest, anyway. "If that is what you need, at any rate."

"The difficulty, I think, is in driving the wagon," Cyndeyrn will answer that, looking thoughtful on the matter. "The one that was attacked itself may still be functional, although the horse that drew it less so, and so we would be grateful on that count. But of course none of us have any practice with draft animals, learning to ride only in the saddle. If you are unable to spare anyone, perhaps we might send riders to one of the nearby manors in the morning, to see if they have a man capable of taking it up."

Leaning back on her heels, Rozenn looks thoughtful. "I would like to think perhaps it could not be too difficult, but the fact of the matter is that we will be down a sword as it is." With Isyld recovering. "If one of us is driving, that leaves only two to defend. If there are brigands about, brave enough to attack a shipment meant for the Earl… I am not so keen on those odds."

Martyn nods a bit in agreement with both Rozenn and Cyndeyrn. "The big problem is that we will be one less sword to defend the shipment, I agree," he offers, loking a bit thoughtful as he considers this.

"Aye, you would be one less sword," and de Boscone rubs his beard for a moment, leaning back against his seat. "I might concede this: if you can convince anyone in my village to accede to your request, they have my blessing to go with you, provided they return, with workhorse and wagon, safe and sound."

Failed.
Cyndeyrn checked his courtesy of 8, he rolled 17.

Failed.
Isyld checked her orate of 3, she rolled 11.

Critical Success!
You check your Orate at 3, you rolled 3.

"Sir, I do believe that any or perhaps all of us would be more than glad to provide a return escort to your man, to ensure that he, horse, and wagon are delivered safely back to your lands." Rozenn may perhaps be speaking out of turn, as Cyndeyrn has largely provided their voice. "I am certain the Earl would not fault us this, not for bringing his needed lumber and upon hearing of your generosity in this difficult summer we have had."

"Very well, I bessech you to spend the night, then, and in the morning, should any villagers decide to assist you, they have my blessing to do so," de Boscone replies, offering a nod to them before he stands up, ostensibly to go to his own quarters.

In the morning, it is as promised, and villagers were rounded up at the square. After an introduction of his fellow knights of the Earl, de Boscone let each speak, in turn, on the merits of why the villagers should concern themselves with the successful transport of the lumber. It seems lukewarm, with several people shaking their heads as some of them speak, until Rozenn takes the stage.

After her rousing speech, five villagers step forward to volunteer on the transport to Sarum, and protection of the workhorse and wagon subsequently.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License