(514-07-08) Saxon Take-Out II
Summary: After burning a pair of Saxon villages, the raiders from Sarum are caught by pursuit.
Date: July 8, 514
Related: Saxon Take-Out I
kamron elrick gaius arian padrig lysanor lainn landon 


The wealds of Sussex lighten behind them as the raiding party verges on the undefined border between Hampshire and Sussex. The smoke of two villages rises over the forest behind them, one defended to the death by aged warriors, the other given up without a struggle by its fleeing inhabitants. The Salisbury party is now followed by a small herd of captured cows, sheep, and other animals, and the sumpters are loaded down with what passes for goods and finery among the Saxons. It's not a haul that will make any of the raiders rich for life, but it's not table scraps either. The early summer continues to warm around them, as the wan sun rises up in the sky.

Despite the burgeoning heat, Kamron rides in full armor save for his helm, which is gathered at the front of his saddle. He still rides his rouncy Dancer, however, although he carries the lead to his charger, leaving Newt to help chivy along the spoils. The Dinton knight also carries a spear in his right hand, in addition to the axe at his hip. After all, the Saxons are likely to be coming back home at the same time, any of them who made it past the hunters in Salisbury.

Being in enemy territory, Elrick is also in his reinforced chainmail, not knowing when they may run into any returning Saxons as they make for home with the loot caravan in tow. Sword remains sheathed as in his hand is a lance that rests against his shoulders. Helm is already snuggly on his head. Without a second mount or a squire, the Laverstock's kit is most likely less than some of the others, a single lance and his charger.

Gaius rides at the back of the party, his charger Remus plodding along and following the others. The horse hardly seems traumatized by the events that had just transpired following the capture of his master. The horse's ears flicker, its tail swishes, another day at the beck and call of the Stapleford knight as far as the beast is concerned. After Gaius was roused from his unconciousness he revealed how had been found beaten and captured. Arriving at Sarum a day after the initial siege he had set to helping some peasant and worker's repair one of the gates that was battered open by the Saxon raiders. During this time the peasants had regaled the man with stories how the Saxon berserkers and warriors swept out from the forest lands, overrunning peasants and farmers who were caught outside of Sarum's defenses. Their bodies still littered the lands around Sarum, perfect pickings for scavengers, looters and carrion feeders. In true Stapleford fashion, the Knight set out with a small band of peasants to retrieve these souls who were butchered and left to rot.

Gaius did not recount many details, but it was clear he did not only find the bodies of Briton peasants on his quest. "They desecrated and defiled the dead." he had said, as he voted to end the lives of the Saxon's that were captured. With little time to waste and no squire of his own nearby to assist, he strapped his breastplate to his chest and began the ride back to Sarum. His mood soured. He leans on the saddle as he follows the group, "I do not believe I gave proper thanks to you all for saving me. If in the future there is any favor you need, please do not hesitate to ask…"

Blaze trots heavily alongside the other horses, his flank still splashed with Saxon blood. The crimson only furthers the mulberry's colors of dappled gray and red, and the smear looks almost painted. His rider has been quiet most of the ride, Arian's shield still secured to her arm and her hands twisted tightly in the gelding's reins. She glances over toward Sir Gaius at his words, and she offers a small bob of her head that includes a small smile — which is easily seen with her helmet at her hip. "If we asked for favors each time a Salisbury saved a Salisbury, we would all owe one another more than we could ever repay." Then she turns her attention back to the road.

Likewise is Padrig on his rouncy, leaving the charger relatively unburdened but on a lead to keep him close. Armored and armed, he looks somewhat bored after the recent pillaging and burning. He spares a glance back to the Stapleford, and his eyebrows rise as if he cold not possibly imagine doing anything other than rescuing the knight. This is further communicated aloud as he replies to Gaius with a grunt of dismissal - man-speak for 'no trouble at all.' His mind wanders, however, and he nudges his horse closer to Kamron's to place a query before the Dinton knight: "How many are riding scout ahead? It's making my skin crawl with nervousness that we've yet to encounter any returning Saxons."

Just as their initial ride to the Saxon village had been a somber one, the return trip was very much the same. Surely, they had accomplished what they set out to do, taking all that they could as a way to make the Saxons 'pay' for the destruction caused to their manors back home and yet the destruction which they, themselves, leave behind is somewhat sobering. Lysanor de Dinton is, once again, mostly quiet as she rides alongside the others. And while her mind sometimes flits back to the desparation seen upon the faces of the women and children alike, the attack on Sarum, among many other raids against them, led by their Saxon foe, remains clear within her mind. There is very little to rejoice about even after their victory, except for the fact that they had rescued one of their own. When Gauis speaks up, the Dinton maiden turns to hear his words; a small, polite smile forming on her lips at his offering of gratitude, "I am just thankful and relieved that we came upon you in time, Sir Gauis de Stapleford. Your very presence here inspires us all, I'm sure." Quieting down once more, she listens to others speak, like usual. Even she knew that they were still so far from the safety of their own homes and borders.

"Move, Roach." the eldest Laverstock knight grunts at his horse. Yes, Lainn calls his horse Roach. In fact, every horse he's ever owned has been named Roach. And he's had three of them so far. As with everyone else, he's in armor, two swords at his back. Which is odd, because while he's capable of fighting with two weapons, he doesn't usually. No, the reason is because is because you never know when you might need a spare for whatever reason. One breaks, lose it in battle, get it knocked out of your hand. So it's always handy to have a spare on you. He says there's a story behind that he keeps saying he'll tell. So far he hasn't. He hasn't said a whole lot today, keeping mum on his thoughts for the time being.

Landon was astride his charger, having managed to round up another horse that looks no better than a stumpeter, with his squire, a new responsibility for the Baverstock to have, leading a rouncy in one hand and a few goats in the other. Landon went mostly after wild stock rather than what was to be plundered from the houses, and currently saw no fit reason to be without his reinforced chainmail. His lance had shattered, so he was down to his sword and a few spears that were lashed to the rouncy. There might be a few chickens tied to one of the pack horses too, packed in crates or hung by their talons. The Baverstock was rather quiet, blood stains on his tabard showing he had quenched his vengeance. He may have even volunteered to help in ending the lives of the unconscious Saxons.

Kamron grunts his agreement with Padrig's wordless rumble, then gestures forward, "Sir Isyld is up ahead. Sir Agramar grumbled something about not having the numbers for real scouts and flankers, but I'm not certain that it was actually sentences. Besides, Sir Paddy, that's why we're taking another track back home. It might help." He gestures to Sir Arian as she responds to Sir Gaius more eloquently, then nods, rolling his shoulders in the heavy mail, "Maybe we've gotten lucky too."

Aaaaand he jinxed it. One of the squires shouts from behind, "Riders!"

Success
Landon checked his Awareness of 11, he rolled 5.
Success
Padrig checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 1.
Success
Gaius checked his awareness of 8, he rolled 6.
Success
You check your awareness at 9, you rolled 4.
Failed.
Gaius checked his awareness of 8, he rolled 12.
Failed.
Lysanor checked her awareness of 9, she rolled 19.

Gaius manages a small smile to Arian, Padrig and Lysanor. "An inspiration? I guess my ability to take a few hours of beatings must truly inspire confidence…" he says with a little chuckle, wincing at some of the bruises and cuts that his breastplate now hides. It seems the Saxon villagers had their fun with the man while hwas tied up and bound, but he is a tough one and to him it seems more like a nice little bout in a bar then a near death experience. As he is at the back of the group he catches the bellowing of the squire near instantly. The reigns of his mount are yanked back to stop Remus in mid trot as he pulls forth his blade. "Do we make haste or do we turn and fight?" he calls out, and looks eager to fight.

Padrig looks dubious, but he nods slowly to Kamron's assurances that they are taking all precautions to—intercept a Saxon entourage, of course. With a heavy sigh, the knight jumps down from his rouncy which is immediately taken up by his squire. He launches into the saddle of his charger, fetches up his helmet, and jams it onto his head in swift motion. Rising up in the stirrups, he looks around before spotting the cloud of dust kicked up by Saxon riders in the distance, and for the benefit of any around him he points in that direction. Gaius's question takes the words right from his own mouth, and his charger dances beneath him with nervous tension as the knight looks back to Kamron. The Dinton appears to be the second-in-command. "I count eight, Sir Kamron, all on horseback."

Their trek back to the safety of home is interrupted by the alarm being sounded from a squire that was trailing behind them, Elrick turning his head to glance over as he mutters a curse, "So close…" When Padrig offers an update on what he sees, the other Laverstock quickly asks, "How far are they? If we have time, we should try to set up an ambush." Question now comes down to whether they need to create a hasty defense or not. Elrick does tug on his reins, slowing his steed to match the pace of the others.

"I don't know about the rest of you," Lainn remarks, turning his scarred face to look behind him at the riders approaching. "But I'm getting really tired of running." And he too starts to slow Roach down. "I suppose Sir Gaius and myself can slow them down, allow the rest of you get out of here if you're looking to make it back to Salisbury." At that, he looks over at Gaius. "Just the two of us against eight? Those poor slobs." he comments before looking back at the rest of them. "Unless the rest of you are of the same mind?"

Landon doesn't have to stand up in his saddle to see. "Grem, get moving boy. We've trouble coming down on us," he slides his helmet onto his head, for it had rested on his cantle like Kamron's. His visor he pulls up to shout to the rest, along with Padrig's words, "Eight. Aye. One has a lance!" Could they be friendlies?

"Just the fact that we were able to bring one of our own back." Lysanor starts to say and she could very well say more, but the alert that there are riders present silences her quickly enough. Turning quickly, she looks over her shoulder, in an attempt to get some view of the approaching strangers, though it is the information gathered by the others in her party that gives her a far better picture than what she can clearly view. Not planning on stopping nor turning back herself, she does continue forward knowing full well that she is not as skilled a horseman as the others were trained to be.

When the squire mentions riders, Arian draws her horse up short and starts to turn in her saddle a bit. When the numbers come, she grimaces a bit. Immediately, she goes for her helmet and resituates the protective gear over her head. She also reaches for her sword, drawing it from its sheath with a soft whisper of metal against leather. She looks over toward Kamron, offering him a gentle nod before she waits to hear more about those incoming riders — and whether they are Saxons. But something in her gut tells her she already knows what comes their way.

Sir Agramar doesn't even look back, taking the others at their word, "We can't even outrun Saxons with the livestock. And don't be a fool, Sir Lainn, no one is going to sacrifice themselves when they match us in numbers." Not including the squires or Lysanor, of course. He calls for his helm and charger, fussing around to make the necessary changes to get ready to go. "If they're foes, I'll take the one with the lance, leave you lot to clean up the rest."

Kamron looks to the elder knight, his lips pursing, but he shrugs his shoulders, jabbing the point of his spear into the ground so that he can dismount and switch horses to his charger. While he's on the ground, he pulls on his helmet, "They could be, Sir Landon." There's a pause as he hauls himself into the saddle of his charger, and then he continues, "But they probably wouldn't be coming from inside Saxon lands if they were, I think." Now atop the graying charger, he returns Arian's nod, "What say we go meet them, Sir Agramar? See if they're friendly, or if they like the taste of steel."

Behind them, the riders speed their approach, although as they near the group and it becomes clear that they are… definitely not knights, for all that three of them wear chainmail, five of them struggle down from their horses, dismounting awkwardly. Those five horses show themselves to be not much better than fleabitten nags, although the remaining three, with the riders still atop them, are certainly of better stock, probably knightly stock. One of the riders carries a lance and shield, the other pair axes and shields. Of the five now dismounting, three carry long spears, while the other two carry axes and shields.

Padrig leans over to accept a lance from his squire and to allow the boy to double-check the security of his armor. He smirks inside of his helmet at some of Agramar's words, but does not pose a rejoinder. Instead, he looks up to watch as the others approach, and he hesitates as his mount backs away from the squire and drives a hoof into the ground in eagerness to be moving. Ears perked, the charger knows as well as the others that something is going to happen quite soon. "I vote for steel," he grumbles, positioning himself on the left of the others so as to be available for flanking if necessary. He readies his lance and waits, staring intently at the approaching hodgepodge before picking out a potential target.

"Unless they're another group doing what we are-" Landon offers, and yet, when he pivots his mount around to get a good look at the group of eight coming upon him, he hisses, "Nevermind that Sir Kamron, they stink like Saxon's…" His nose wrinkles as his hand goes to wedge down his bucket helm, slamming it down and readying his hand upon the hilt of his blade should the other group make any hint of threat toward them.

There's a low, humored chuckle from Lainn. "Ah well, I'll get that noble death sooner or later, I imagine." Lazily, he tosses his helmet on, securing it, then pulling of the two blades on his back free, spinning the grip in his hand to the get the right grip. "You'll be owing me a king peice when the day out, sister." he mentions at Arian. Angling Roach, he moves to the other far side of Padrig, to the right, to flank the other side.

"Don't be too eager now Sir… there is plenty more death to deal for these dogs. I will tell you now, I found their compatriots using the bodies of our country men as targets to test their arrows and the sharpness of their blades. We should spare them no mercy, for they have denied Britons the grace of God to judge them as full men and women." he says, recounting how his quest proceeding. Remus seems agitated, the horse rearing up before being righted by Gaius. "I claim the right of Death on any who remain. Does any deny me?" he says as he looks to the other knights as they ready for battle.

As the others prepare to defend their caravan of loot, Elrick does the same as he starts working on the saddle packs that he had with him. When in battle, those would only weigh down his charger. Leaving some of his unnecessary kit with the squires and those who will not be joining the battle, the Laverstock Knight is ready with his lance, lining up with the other members of his family. "Too soon for a noble death yet, brother. You need more accolades for them to announce at your ceremony besides making poor Ari cry all the time." Despite being moments away from engaging against those who wish to take their lives, Elrick is trying to keep his own morale up by the light banter.

Arian glances over at Lainn, and she smirks. "I doubt that, brother. I'm actually using a shield." Then she spurs Blaze forward, preparing to charge in against the Saxons with her own sword at the ready. Then she looks over at Elrick. "A half-pence that I stay on my horse longer than you, 'Rick." She dimples at her other brother, her voice a singsong of playfulness. "And then we will see who is crying."

Sir Agramar nods sharply, "Steel it is, I think. At them!" And then he's spurring forward.

Kamron notes to Gaius as he starts his horse forward on a walk, "Will you pay us back for the price each of them is worth, Sir Gaius?" Dry laughter accompanies the words, and then he's shaking his head at the Laverstock boys, "You shouldn't make Sir Arian cry, sirs." Beat pause, "She does not cry well." And then he's spurring his horse forward as well, leaving laughter behind him.

The Saxons rush forward without pause, the runners keeping up with the horsemen until they break into a canter to close with the knights. Before long, both sides are on the way to a sudden clash.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 4.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Arian at 15, you rolled 4.

The Laverstock woman causes Blaze to rear slightly before he plunges forward at the behest of his rider. Arian doesn't even slow as she crosses weapons with the Saxon, and his haft promptly breaks on impact. She is already turning her horse around to prepare to take advantage of her now weaponless foe.

Critical Fail!
Elrick checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 20. (+5 Mounted=Crit Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Elrick at 13, you rolled 15.
Elrick rolls 12d6 and gets (2 2 4 5 2 2 5 6 6 2 6 4) for a total of: (46) (-6 Hard Leather=40 Damage. Mortal Wound.)

Hearing his sister's words, Elrick's only answer is a quick of his lips that betrays an amused smile. However, hearing the Dinton Knight's comments though, the Laverstock is unable to hold in his own laugh, easily audible from under his helm. When the charge begins though, his demeanor returns to a passive mask, fully focused on the task at hand which is to ride down whichever Saxon is unlucky enough to try to stop him. The thundering of hooves from not only his own charger but the others provides a rather grim cacophony for the Saxons, a sign that death approaches.
For the poor sap that Elrick has selected, the reaper does indeed come, because once the knight closes in on his target, his aim is true. The lance that the Laverstock wields punches through whatever armor the Saxon was wearing as if it was a thin sheet of cloth. It drives straight into the chest, pulverizing the heart and the tip protrudes out of the victim's back, a burst of gory blood ensuing. Instead of taking time to extract the weapon, Elrick just releases the lance and draws free his blade, the ribbon of silvery grey visible around the hilt of the weapon. Now, he's scanning for his next victim, seeing which knight needs assistance.

Failed.
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 19. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Landon at 10, you rolled 12. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (4 2 2 2 4) for a total of: (14) (-6 Hard Leather=8 Damage)

The Baverstock charges his mount toward the footmen, as others charge the riders. His sword freed, he times it just right to deal a blow to one of the axe-men, twisting the reins of his horse to nudge the mount into a ready position to try again to hack and slash at his foe.

Critical Success!
Gaius checked his sword of 15, he rolled 15. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Gaius at 10, you rolled 1. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Gaius rolls 4d6 and gets (1 1 6 3) for a total of: (11) (-6 Hard Leather -6 Shield=0 Damage)

As the two groups close Gaius closes his lips tight, the sword in his hand cocked back at an angle so he can sweep forward as his mount extends his trot into a gallop. Remus is a Courser. Not as light and small as a Rouncey nor as large and powerful as a Charger. It suits the Stapleford man just right, and as he gains ground on the axe wielding Saxon his sword sweeps down like a sythe cutting at wheat. His blade catches chain mail, tugging the Saxon along but ripping free with a few links of metal in its wake. No blood flows from the man and Gaius quickly turns his horse to sweep once more against the barbarian. He leans into the second swing, angling Remus to the left to avoid the counter strike of Saxon.

Success
Kamron checked his lance at 10, he rolled 6. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Kamron at 13, you rolled 5.
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (6 5 3 6 3 5) for a total of: (28) (-6 Hard Leather=22 Damage)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Kamron's Unconscious at 8, you rolled 20.

Kamron lowers his spear as he charges, tucking in low behind his lance as he drives toward one of the spearmen, "Family and Faith!" The shout comes as he leans into the blow, driving the giant Saxon to the ground and riding on, the spearpoint scraping over his shield and sliding off. He lets the spear go, leaving it impaling the much larger man on the ground, and hauls out his axe, fierce joy in his eyes. He looks about, then spurs his horse toward where Padrig is clashing with one of the mounted men.

Success
Lainn checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 3. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Lainn at 13, you rolled 8.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (1 5 3 4 3) for a total of: (16) (-12 Reinforced Mail=4 damage)
Success
Lainn checked his horsemanship of 10, he rolled 5.

There wasn't a lot of anything going with Lainn, beyond getting stabbed with the lance and almost falling off his horse. Good job, bro, you really showed them, eh. Having to set with the fact that he'll have to nurse his wounded pride, later, the most he can do, is roll off Roach onto the ground, slapping the horse on the rear with the flat of his blade to get him to move out of the way. Now moved, he can try to handle the spearmen in a more friendly, up close and personal way.

Success
Padrig checked his lance of 15, he rolled 2. (+5 Mounted +5 Lance=Success)
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Padrig at 15, you rolled 5.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (2 5 1 2 5) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=0 Damage)
Success
Padrig checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 2.
OOC: This should have hit, but modifiers were miss-added by the GM. It should have been 20 Skill and +5 to roll, making the roll a 7

Padrig misses. The Saxon does not miss, but his blow skitters harmlessly off of Paddy's shield. Paddy passes by and wheels his charger about, throws the lance down and draws his sword.

When things start getting heated behind them, Lysanor remains under the protection of the squires, who continue to defend both her and the loot which they had taken. They can only move so quickly and they wouldn't want to pull too far ahead of the group, less there is more trouble waiting for them along this very path as well. Taking some pause, their progress halted, the group turn to observe the clash in the distance, the young squires either looking eager in their wish to help their knights or nervous as they were charged with the job of protecting the stolen gear and Lysanor as well! It is Kamron's words uttering their family motto that draws Lysanor's attention to him. Those very words now lend her her own strength and with this she whispers a quiet prayer beneath her breath for the safetly of not only her cousin, but their companions as well.

Success
You make a check for Agramar Lance at 15, you rolled 13.
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Lance at 20, you rolled 6.
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (6 5 1 4 1 2) for a total of: (19) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=1 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Horsemanship at 15, you rolled 12.

The squires cluster in around the Lady and the remounts and the spoils, drawing swords and spears to defend them if needed. Sir Agramar places his lance just a heartbeat better than the lance-wielding Saxon, scoring a glancing hit up and over the shield and the man's shoulder that shatters his lance, and both men drop wood and draw steel, Agramar's sword against the Saxon's axe. Two of the Saxons are down, and one of those still upright is drawing a second, smaller axe from his belt after having his primary weapon destroyed by the lady knight.

Critical Fail!
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 20.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Arian at 15, you rolled 6.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (4 3 2 4 2) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Chain -1 Secondary Weapon=2 Damage)
Failed.
Arian checked her horsemanship of 10, she rolled 14.
Arian rolls 1d6 and gets (5) for a total of: (5)

Arian owes Elrick a half-pence. As she comes around, their horses almost collide and their weapons clatter together. Hers is thrown from her hand, and the weight sends her off balance as the weapon dangles from its leather lanyard. The force of the man's axe across her chest sends her out of her saddle, and she slams heavily into the ground. Again. The fall jars her, and stars explode across her vision.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 6.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Kamron at 7, you rolled 5. (Skill Split:7)
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (4) for a total of: (4) (-4 Shield Armor)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (1 4 2 1) for a total of: (8) (-10 Mail -2 Shield=0 Damage)

Kamron drives his charger wither-to-wither with Padrig's opponent, coming in at his shield side. He slams his shield into the other man's shield, hammers his axe into the round wood, and then grimaces as the blade skitters off the man's chainmail. And then Arian is knocked to the ground, and Kamron's knees tighten around his charger, sending the old horse dancing sideways for a moment. "Paddy! You have this one." He hopes, because Kamron is twisting around in his saddle, turning to face the other mounted Saxon now.

Success
You make a check for Agramar Sword at 19, you rolled 5.
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Axe at 21, you rolled 18.
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (1 6 2 5 2 4) for a total of: (20) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=2 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Agramar Horsemanship at 15, you rolled 1.

Sir Agramar faces the lead Saxon sword to axe, the two men hammering weapons and shields. The larger Saxon comes out ahead, sending Agramar wavering in his saddle for a long moment before he remains there, recovering slowly.

Success
Gaius checked his sword of 15, he rolled 3. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Gaius at 10, you rolled 14.
Gaius rolls 4d6 and gets (1 2 1 6) for a total of: (10) (-6 Hard Leather=0 Damage)

Gaius is a multitasker at heart. At the moment he is juggling between cutting down the Saxon dog before him, and the battle prayer to the Archangel Michael flowing from his lips. "Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium. Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur…" his sword sweeps, deflecting the axe the Saxon swings and at the last moment Gaius drives the blade forward to stab the man in the arm, spinning him away as his mount tears upwards. "…tuque, Princeps militiae coelestis, Satanam aliosque spiritus malignos, qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo, divina virtute, in infernum detrude." His sword cocks back, the blade shining in the fading light as he drives it down for another attack. "Amen."

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 2.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Padrig at 8, you rolled 6. (Skill Split:8)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (5 1 4 3 2) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=0 Damage)
Success
Padrig checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 5.

For the second time, Padrig's shield merely slams into the Saxon's side, but the angle is all wrong and he cannot make contact with his sword. The close quarters, however, denies the opponent opportunity to seek purchase with his axeblade, and so while the sound of metal-on-metal rings in his ears, Padrig is unharmed as he peels away and sweeps around in a tight, controlled spin. He lifts his weapon to signal he has heard Kamron, and then nudges the charger into another pass.

Success
Lainn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Lainn at 6, you rolled 4.
Lainn rolls 4d6 and gets (1 1 1 2) for a total of: (5) (-6 Hard Leather=0 Damage)

That didn't feel like a great hit. Mean, he hit, and that's great, but it didn't feel like a great hit. That make sense? Anyways, There's little Lainn can do and he has half a mind to just trampling the bastard and moving on because he has better things to do with his time than play patty-cake with a Saxon on a stick. But well, if he did that, he just knows what people might say. So he just goes in to take another swing and hope this time it actually does something other than tickle.

Critical Success!
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 15. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Elrick at 7, you rolled 9.
Elrick rolls 5d6 and gets (2 2 6 6 2) for a total of: (18) (-6 Hard Leather=12 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Elrick DEX at 8, you rolled 5.

Though the chieftain may look like a more glorious target, Elrick sees that the Saxon that Lainn is facing has him on the defensive. Blood before glory, the Laverstock will not see his older brother fall, especially when they are still in enemy territory with help nowhere near. Spurring his horse into a gallop, approaching the Saxon rapidly and taking note of where Lainn is positioning himself, not wishing to accidentally ride into his brother. With his blade raised, it slices down as he gets within range, the razor sharp steel cutting into the armor and slicing through muscle and flesh. Elrick remains, staying engaged with full intention of finishing off the Saxon with his brother.

Failed.
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 19. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Landon at 10, you rolled 2.
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (3 2 6 2 3) for a total of: (16) (-6 Hard Leather -6 Shield=4 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Landon DEX at 8, you rolled 2.

The Baverstock wasn't showing the same inspiration as he had to attack men who raided Imber, though that didn't mean he wasn't doing some damage. The axe-man just avoided the heavier swing of his blade, moving in time to get glancing blows - blows that drew blood but not necessarily fatal. Landon grunts as he turns again for a third rally against his foe.

Two of the spearmen are down and not moving, pierced by lances in the initial charge, and one is now being doubleteamed by Laverstock boys. The two axemen on foot continue to fight against Gaius and Landon, while Padrig faces off against a mounted Saxon and Kamron and Arian now face the second.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 6. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Knocked Down +10 Full Defensive=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Arian at 12, you rolled 16. (Skill Split:2 +5 Mounted +5 Downed Foe included)

The dust-covered Knight draws herself back to her feet as Kamron comes charging in to her rescue — or at least to her assistance. She has her shield readied as she slashes out her sword, slamming into the Saxon's shield as she does. She may cause the man no harm, but she at least is given plenty of space to get comfortably to her feet. "Kam… if you could… I would really like my horse." She says this through gritted teeth, her jaw tight.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 4.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Padrig at 15, you rolled 5.
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (4) for a total of: (4) (-4 Shield Rating)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (3 3 2 6 4) for a total of: (18) (-12 Reinforced Mail -2 Shield=4 Damage)
Success
Padrig checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 6.

Once again, Padrig smashes his shield against the Saxon, trying to throw him off balance, but the shield slips and allows a small window for the axe to slice right beneath into his other side. Paddy grunts at the impact, feeling the *schink* of chainmail yielding beneath a sharp edge and the further pierce of a clean slice into the skin. The force knocks him back in his saddle, but with his knees he manages to get the charger to wheel about sharply to provide an opposing force to keep him in the saddle. The Laverstock tilts his head back and lets out a loud "YAH!" in response to not landing on his ass, and then shakes his helmet back into place.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 12. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Landon at 10, you rolled 9. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (3 4 5 5 2) for a total of: (19) (-6 Hard Leather -6 Shield=7 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Landon DEX at 8, you rolled 7.

Landon is getting mad. The axe-welding saxon just won't die. Axe clangs against sword and more blood happens, but the battle continues.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 6.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Kamron at 13, you rolled 1. (Skill Split:13)
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (6) for a total of: (6) (-6 Shield Rating)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (6 5 6 1) for a total of: (18) (-10 Mail=8 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Kamron Horsemanship at 10, you rolled 8.
Success
You make a check for Newt's Squire Roll at 15, you rolled 2.

Kamron gives the Saxon before him a shove with his shield, setting him off-balance enough to loop the head of his axe through the edge of the much bigger man's shield and into the back of his shoulder, drawing blood through the Saxon's chainmail. He bites back a comment about Arian being on her back that the lady knight probably would not appreciate here and now, and he probably would not make around family and friends, and instead calls out, "Newt! Find Blaze!" The squire bobs his head in apology to Lysanor, and then spurs his rouncy off after the runaway mulberry. "I'm on it, Sir!"

Success
Lainn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 1. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Lainn at 6, you rolled 3. (Skill Split:6)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (1 5 5 5 1) for a total of: (17) (-12 Reinforced Mail=5 damage)
Success
Lainn checked his horsemanship of 10, he rolled 8.

Lainn just can't do anything right. He gets stabbed. Again. In almost the same spot. He's going to feel it tomorrow. And likely the rest of the week, so he'll have to go easy on the whores for the next couple of days. Or not, he isn't very pleased with the fact that the baby of the family just killed someone a hell of a lot easier than all the effort Lainn was putting into it. The shame train doesn't make any stops today. Somehow, in his head, he found this going a lot better than he had hoped. So what to do. Might as well try to assist his erstwhile cousin Padrig. Unless he somehow manages to screw that up too.

Success
You make a check for Foot Spear vs Elrick at 7, you rolled 4. (Skill Split)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (2 5 2 1 5) for a total of: (15) (-12 Reinforced Mail=3 Damage)
Failed.
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 16. (+10 Uncontrolled Attack +5 Mounted:30 Skill. 20 SKill +10 Roll=Critical Success)
Elrick rolls 10d6 and gets (2 2 6 1 4 2 2 4 5 5) for a total of: (33) (-6 Hard Leather=27 Damage. Major Wound)

With his brother taking another blow from the Saxon that they are engaged with, Elrick appears to be taking a gamble to end the fight before it gets any worse for the both of them. This means that his blow is a slower, but surer one. The riskier tactic does come at a cost as it allows the foot soldier to get in a free strike, one that lands but due to the Laverstock's superior size and strength, the knight does not come close to slipping off his steed. With the tip of the spear digging into the chained links by his hip, it makes a light cut. In exchange, Elrick's blade comes down swiftly and ruthlessly, cleaving into the Saxon's neck, not enough to decapitation. When he pulls his blade back roughly, a spray off blood is released as the lifeless body collapses. No word of concern is offered to Lainn as he knows his brother is strong enough to take more than one blow, instead, the younger brother is on the move again, this time going to assist his cousin, Padrig.

Critical Fail!
Gaius checked his sword of 15, he rolled 20. (+5 Mounted=Critical Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Axe vs Gaius at 10, you rolled 12. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Gaius rolls 8d6 and gets (6 5 5 4 6 6 1 3) for a total of: (36) (-6 Hard Leather=30 Damage. Mortal Wound.)

As that incantation of Amen leaves his lips Gaius's sword falls heavy, hard, and true. The tip of the blade grazes the Saxon's neck and seems about to miss and scoring nothing more then a light scratch across his gullet. Gaius then drives the blade forward, its sharp point parting the flesh of the Saxon's neck to sink into the man's chest and pierce through his lungs. The Saxon gives a gurgling cough of blood, a fountain of his precious life erupting from his mouth before Gaius's mount carries him forward and rips the blade from his throat. Gaius's sword drips with blood as Remus carries him towards the Saxon that battles viciously with Sir Landon.

Success
You make a check for Agramar Sword at 19, you rolled 16.
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Axe at 21, you rolled 6.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (6 6 6 4 2) for a total of: (24) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=6 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Horsemanship at 15, you rolled 3.

Sir Agramar continues to spar with the huge Saxon, slashing the man's thigh, but not knocking him from his horse. They appear to be at a relative stand-off, at least for now.

Another pair of Saxons join the other two on the ground, while the horsemen struggle against their foes and the remaining footman suddenly becomes overwhelmed.

Even Lysanor knew that there was no apology needed, but she nods still in acknowledgement of the young squire's concerns and is relieved to see that, perhaps, Arian will get her horse back. It's difficult to feel safe anywhere, especially when there is a hard fought battle going on just steps away. While some of the squires remain by her side, there are a few of them than do wander further to ensure that there are no Saxons coming from any other direction to surprise them. From her distance atop her horse, the Dinton maiden continues to keep vigilant watch over her comrades. She can already see that many of them are ailing, having taken harsh blows and yet whether their injuries to continue on.

Critical Fail!
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 20. (+5 Mounted=Critical Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Foot Axeman vs Landon at 10, you rolled 13. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Landon rolls 10d6 and gets (6 2 6 4 3 3 5 1 2 3) for a total of: (35) (-6 Hard Leather=29 Damage. Major Wound.)

Maybe Landon sensed that other /knights/ were coming to his aid, out of the corner of his bucket helmet slit! Or maybe it got to a point that Landon was so mentally charged and angered that that vengeance came full force. With a raging growl behind his helm, his sword is lifted and this time when it comes down from the back of Brute, his stocky charger, it comes down with such a violent force that the man's head gets lopped off his bloody shoulders and sent flying from the momentum. The Saxon's body freeze frames before it slowly slumps into a messy pile. Grunting, blade wet now with the death of the Saxon upon it, he turns to regard how his fellow knights are making out.

Gaius doesn't even have time to join Landon in the kill, as the other knight expertly dispatches his foe. Remus is hauled back mid charge, the horse's feet kicking as it rises in the air as it lets out its disatisfaction, as if it too was hungry for a kill. "Well done Sir…" Gaius remarks with a tip of his head as he circles his mount in a single spot, surveying the battle around him. He trys to tune out the song of sword and axe clashing, in case the crash of hoofs signal the approach of another Saxon band. He closes his eyes before he spurs his Remus towards Newt, to assist Arian on remounting if need be as she and Kamron battle the Saxon.

Success
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 1.
Success
You make a check for Horse Axeman vs Elrick at 8, you rolled 7.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (4 2 4 5 4) for a total of: (19) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=1 Damage)
Failed.
Elrick checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 18.
Elrick rolls 1d6 and gets (5) for a total of: (5)

The success that Elrick had been riding on seems to come to an end when he moves to assist his cousin, Padrig. Oddly enough, the damage dealt by the Saxons does not compare to the blow dealt to him by gravity and the weight of his armor. With his blade going high and missing, it opens up the Laverstock's guard to take a Saxon axe into his side. The bladed edge of the axe cuts barely deep enough to draw blood, but the force of the blow was able to knock the rider off of his mount and onto the ground. With his breath knocked out of him, Elrick rolls to the side to evade any following blows if they were coming. Then he clambors back to his feet, only to see that the Saxon was knocked off his horse as well by Padrig. Without hesitation, he charges the axeman with his blade while on foot, not bothering to try to remount his charger.

Failed.
Arian checked her horsemanship of 10, she rolled 18.
Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 12. (-5 Mounted Foe=Failed.)
Success
You make a check for Horse Axeman vs Arian at 7, you rolled 4.
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (2 1 1 1 5) for a total of: (10) (-12 Reinforced Mail -1 Secondary Weapon=0 Damage)

Failed.
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 19.
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axeman vs Kamron at 12, you rolled 18.

Seeing Arian take another axe-blow to the shield and shoulders, Kamron pushes forward a little too hard, getting inside the reach of his own axe… and that of his foe. They both struggle with shields and arms, trying to shove the other one off their horses, before Kamron's charger takes a step back to get them a little more space.

Failed.
Padrig checked his Hate for Saxons of 13, he rolled 16.
Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 5. (-5 Disenheartened=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axeman vs Padrig at 7, you rolled 11.
Padrig rolls 5d6 and gets (5 6 1 3 4) for a total of: (19) (-10 Mail=9 Damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axeman's Horsemanship vs Padrig at 10, you rolled 18.
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (6) for a total of: (6)

Summoning up his hatred for Saxons seems to fail Padrig, and it is with nothing more than simple grim determination to finally kill the shit out this dude that Padrig throws himself behind his shield and shoves back the axe before it can land a blow. It lodges in the shield temporarily, giving Padrig the opportunity of yanking it aside and opening the Saxon's torso for a vicious stab. It slides through cleanly, and then disappears as Padrig yanks it free, shakes away the grip of the axe in his shield, and is carried around by his charger for another round in time to see his cousin fall picking himself up off the ground to charge down the dismounted Saxon. "Get him, 'Rick!"

Landon nods to Gaius, saluting him with a clank of his shield and sword, before he nudges toward the action with the Chiefton - ready to jump in if one of the other two break off to allow there to be room.

Failed.
Lainn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 18.
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Chieftain's Axe vs Lainn at 7, you rolled 20.

Lainn hasn't felt this futile in a long time. It'll be a moment of doubt later in his own skills, but not a hate for Saxons. And at least if he's managed to do anything, it's make the chieftan break his axe on his sword or at least help in that fact. It's that spurs him on a little bit more. Nevermind the fact that the elder knight amoung them could certainly use the assist, so he'll assist. But trying to cut the other man down to size.

Critical Fail!
You make a check for Agramar Sword at 19, you rolled 20.
Success
You make a check for Chieftain Axe vs Agramar at 14, you rolled 2.
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (4 1 3 4 5 6) for a total of: (23) (-12 Reinforced Mail=11 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Agramar's Horsemanship at 15, you rolled 11.

Agramar nods to Lainn as the other man approaches, but he is then being forced back by the Chieftan's assault, taking a slash to the sword arm and losing his sword. The blade goes flying to the end of his lanyard, and he starts struggling to pull it back in. Thankfully, the Chieftain is distracted by the sudden loss of his axe's head, and he scrabbles at his hip, drawing out a smaller axe as a backup weapon.

Now with the Saxons down to three, and each one swarmed by two knights of Sarum, and one of them gets tumbled down to the ground, his rouncy going bounding off to get out of the press.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10. (+5 Mounted +5 Downed Foe -5 Failed Passion=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Dishorsed Axeman vs Padrig at 5, you rolled 14. (Skill Split:10 -5 Mounted Foe -5 Downed included and added wrong)
Padrig rolls 5d6 and gets (3 3 6 4 5) for a total of: (21) (-10 Mail=11 Damage)
Success
You make a check for Dishorsed Axeman vs Padrig DEX at 8, you rolled 6.

Gaius brings his own Remus up next to Blze, grabbing the stead's reins and holding it steady as he looks to the squire, "Return to the Lady Lysanor and ensure she and the others are safe." he instructs them as he pats the side of Blaze's long neck to keep the horse calm and steady. When Arian finds herself once more in saddle Gaius grins to her. "Ah and the debt is partially repaid." he says before he rides away to give her room to move. Gaius rides away from the battle to sweep around the outskirts, incase there are some rakes and scoundrels in the distance with bows or to perhaps spot another approaching band of Saxons.

Where Lysanor finds Arian back upon her horse, she also notices a few others who have fallen from their own. Her slender fingers tighten upon her reign they way they do whenever she gets nervous. With the numbers of their foes dwindling, the Saxons who are left continue to fight and fight hard! In the chaos, the Dinton healer does witness their leader, Sir Argamar collapse under the brunt of the Saxon Chieftain's axe. Not knowing whether the man lived or died, she fights an urge to race forward to assist, knowing that this would be the job of the squires.

Failed.
Arian checked her horsemanship of 10, she rolled 11. (+5 from Gaius' assistance=Success)
Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 9.
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Arian at 7, you rolled 8.
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (6 4 2 4) for a total of: (16) (-10 Mail=6 Damage)

Arian has struggled to get Blaze to settle down long enough for her to get back onto his back. When the Saxon comes down on her with his axe, her shield is up to meet the strike and it rattles the reinforced wood. She is only able to catch her breath when Sir Gaius grabs hold of Blaze and steadies the mulberry long enough for her to pull herself back into the saddle. "See? What did I say about favors?" Then Arian turns to the Saxon and attempts to take an opportunity to strike out against the foe. It is with Kamron's help that the hit does send the Saxon sprawling off his own horse.

Critical Fail!
Lainn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 20.
Failed.
You make a check for Chieftan Axe vs Lainn at 6, you rolled 16.

Well it's a good thing that Lainn has a second sword on him, because he draws that and is about to take a swing at the chieftan, especially after knocking around Agramar the way he did when he surrenders. Now that's something that the Laverstock wasn't expecting. Wounded, feeling mroe than a bit woozy, he grits his teeth, holding the sword out, still clearly debating on wether or not to actually strike the man down in cold blood. And it's really tempting idea.

The din of battle starts to quite down, and Gaius can hear the Saxon Chieftan call out for mercy. Already Remus is charging back towards the site of the battle, the Knight dismounting with sword still in hand. "He calls for Mercy? Can he not die with some dignity? The dignity he and his scum stole from our people when they ran them down like dogs?" The Stapleford's Knight's blood is clearly risen in a boil of black humors. "Give him to me and the last moments of his life will be set to something that God approves of." Likely dying. Or atleast telling them something about the approaching Saxon horde. Gaius wants death, but he knows there is much they can get from the Chieftan.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 13.
Failed.
You make a check for Horse Axe vs Kamron at 8, you rolled 19.
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (2 2 5 6) for a total of: (15) (-10 Mail=5 Damage)

Newt nods to Gaius shakily, taking off back toward the Lady and the loot. Kamron circles around the Saxon, clattering the head of his axe against the rim of his shield to draw the attention of the big man. And then he urges his horse forward opposite Arian, striking out with his axe as she strikes out with her sword. It's unclear which of them lands the telling blow, but the result is the Saxon sliding from the saddle onto the ground.

Failed.
Elrick checked his sword of 15, he rolled 16.
Success
You make a check for Dishorsed Axeman vs Elrick at 5, you rolled 4. (Skill Split:5)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (3 3 1 5 1) for a total of: (13) (-12 Reinforced Mail=1 Damage)

The clash between the axeman on the foot with Elrick who is also on foot continues, and it is the former who gets the upperhand in this exchange as well. The swing from the Laverstock misses once more as the Saxon appears to be more nimble than he looks, and once more an opening is created, then taken. And once more, the reinforced chainmail protects the knight from any major wounds, another light scratch. It is when Padrig's blade cuts into the Saxon does Elrick release a sigh and lowers his guard, "Thanks, Paddy. This little prick was a feisty one." He then looks over the area to see how the others are doing, before seeing Sir Agramar falling and Lainn facing the Chietain alone. However, eyes widen when it appears the Chieftain is surrendering, "Gods, it looks like the chieftain is yielding to Lainn!"

Success
You make a check for Agramar Sword vs Chieftain at 19, you rolled 5.
Critical Success!
You make a check for Chieftan Axe vs Agramar at 15, you rolled 15.
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (2) for a total of: (2) (-2 Shield Armor)
Kamron rolls 12d6 and gets (2 1 1 6 3 2 1 3 3 2 4 1) for a total of: (29) (-12 Reinforced Mail -4 Shield=13 Damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Agramar's Horsemanship at 15, you rolled 16.
Kamron rolls 1d6 and gets (5) for a total of: (5)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Chieftan Valorous at 17, you rolled 20.

The Chieftain slams his shield out at Lainn, catching a sword-blow, and then whips his newly-drawn secondary axe around and into the join of Sir Agramar's left shoulder and neck. The blow sends the knight falling to the dirt road, and the Chieftain wheels on the remaining knight facing him… and then notices that there are no more Saxons standing with him. He starts to wheel his horse to try to run, and then sees that he is more or less surrounded. Dropping his axe and shield, he cries out with a thick accent, "I yield."

Padrig does stuff and things. Dead Saxons, etc.

And Lainn is still looking at the Chieftan with a bit of unbridled fury in his face. A mixture of frustration from not doing a whole hell of a lot during the battle and seeing Agramar's knocked down like that. "Healer!" he barks out, without taking his eyes off the chieftan, mostly for Agramar's sake. "I accept." he says through grit teeth. "Off the horse." he indicates, keeping his sword trained on the other man, but refraining from striking him dead.

Kamron looks around the battlefield, then looks down to Arian, "You have a problem with favors, Sir Arian? I think them rather pretty, generally." Now he's just being obtuse. But then there's a raging Christian, and Kamron tucks his axe into the loop at his hip, urging his horse forward and raising up a hand, "Hold, Sir Gaius! Are we not — " There's a moment's pause, when he might have said 'Christians,' but he instead continues with, "knights? We do not slaughter those who have yielded to us."

Failed.
Gaius checked his vengeful of 7, he rolled 19.
Success
Gaius checked his forgiving of 13, he rolled 7.

The sword that Gaius holds is held by a knuckle-white grip, blood still running down the center of the sword and dripping into the grass at his feet. "And are we not to protect to innocent? The peasants and our countrymen?! I saw their broken bodies on the fields and forests outside of Sarum! I saw how these dogs played with them and defiled them! His sword shakes, "There must be justice…" the sword starts to rise, though Kamron's words weigh heavy on the man. Perhaps if he was lost more to bloodlust those words would not pierce his desires for vengeance, but they do. Gaius grits his teeth, starring at the Chieftan as he begs for forgivness.

The squires are getting restless and though they were told to protect Lysanor and the loot, some look ready to charge forward and aid the fallen knight, though with Newt's return to the group, many offer up compliments or pat him on the back if they are close enough. Even Lysanor looks impressed by the squire's valiant efforts. "I am sure that Sir Arian appreciates your help out there." Her words spoken warmly to her cousin's squire, but once she hears the call for a healer, she looks to the knights-in-training around her before leading her horse forward with a few of the squires in tow. The remaining squires stay behind to guard the loot! Once near, and when it is determined that all is well and they are 'safe', she is helped off of her horse and already she gestures to the squires who decided to come with her, "I will need his armor removed," And even when she says this, she is already soaking a clean cloth in vinegar, knowing that she will have some wounds to cleanse.

"Let it go, Sir Gaius. We have slaughtered enough this day," Padrig offers in a quiet tone, gazing dispassionately around at the scattered bodies of Saxons versus their—none. His shoulders droop a bit and he nudges his charger around, stepping daintly over the unconscious form of his most recent foe. In silence he peels away from the group and makes his way toward the collection of squires around Lysanor.

Whistling for his own charger who did not wander too far away, Elrick was able to reclaim his mount and all is right in the world for him, when he is sitting astride his steed once more. However, this gives him a better vantage point and he sees Gaius with a rather grim expression on his face, realizing the other man is ready to commit black murder, "Stay your blade, Sir Gaius! You slay him and you will have issues with me!" His gaze is narrowed as he nudges his steed closer to the other knight who appears to be conflicted, "We all have lost loved ones or have close friends who have lost loved ones. I would like to see him dead as much as you do, but doing so will be detrimental in our war against these Saxon scum. Ransom him and we gain resources to use against them, to kill /more/ of them."

Arian turns Blaze around, as if expecting more — but then there is just the Saxon and he is surrendering. She pulls the gelding up short, trying to calm the battle-excited horse. Then she offers a quick nod, glancing slightly between Gaius and Kamron. Her jaw sets a bit. "Sirs… we have killed plenty of Saxons today, do you not think? He is worth the ransom, just as I would hope that should I be captured by the Saxons that I am worth my ransom." Logic, this one. She then breathes out a slow exhale, feeling the ache in her bones from the fall from her saddle.

"He's more valuable to us alive then dead!" Lainn snaps at Gaius. "He yeilded, it will be respected!" He doesn't really turn his eyes away, no, the Laverstock is clearly not trusting enough to take his eyes off the now captive. "There will be justice, Lord Robert will see to it." In his mind, there's little else to be said, because as much as he personally wants to strike the chieftan down, he doesn't. There's rules to be upheld an all. There's a moment where the serious facade cracks. "Oh Ari, I don't know about that. Sometimes, I think I'd pay them to keep you." Love you, sister! Really.

The Chieftain shakes his head slightly at Lainn, harrumphing from behind his mustaches, but he still dismounts, moving gingerly, with wounds still weeping blood.

Newt blushes under the acclaim of his fellows and Lysanor's words, "S — S — Sir Kamron says she needs to get her own squire." Sir Agramar's squire advances with Lysanor, while the others stay back with the loot.

Success
Kamron checked his just at 16, he rolled 4.

"Are we not supposed to be better than them, Sir Gaius?" Kamron wheels his horse around, but the support of the other knights causes him to relax, and he nods, looking around the chaos that was a battlefield a moment ago. Gesturing to Arian, he adds, "You would not deny our people the ransom, would you, sir? It would certainly help Sarum rebuild a great deal better than another Saxon head." Lainn's commentary causes him to snort a laugh, although it's a dry one, and he shakes his head within his helmet.

Arian scoffs at Lainn's words. "No one asked you," she mutters under her breath. Then she continues to calm Blaze, brushing her fingers through his mane. She casts a glance toward Newt, and scowls a bit. "I have a squire waiting for me at Laverstock… Lady Avane de Ford… so, there… I have a squire." She's just not here! Then Arian tilts her head slightly, looking over toward Kamron as he snorts, and her eyes narrow.

"Ask the farmer who lies dead in his field if he felt better than them, as he watched his family butchered in their home. These Saxons struck with no warning and no mercy, and like dogs they now whimper with their tails between their legs, begging…" The crisis is averted though, Gaius only have words of rebuke as his sword is sheathed. "Saxon. Do not think you have escaped my justice. I will find it. In heaven. In hell. Even in Annfwn if fate finds me there. For what you and yours did these last few days before the walls of Saxon." He vents his frustrations with words, and when finished he returns to his mount with a sour look.

For Agramar:
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 2.
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 7.
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 9.
Failed.
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 16.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (3) for a total of: (3)
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)

"Oh, will you shut up. I think no one is the mood for moral posturing." Lainn remarks at Gaius, directing the now the unhorsed chieftan where to go. Because he's certainly not keeping his horse for the moment. No need to make a sudden escape. He's picked up his blade that was knocked out of his hand. "We will await here long enough until Sir Agramar is able to ride and make our way back to Sarum. Until then, someone bind this man's hands. Because I would really hate to have to deal with an escapee."

The Saxon chieftain looks up at the knights now protecting him and the one still calling for his head, "In war, people die." The words are still heavily accented, but are understandable, "Just like the people in my home were killed by you." He gestures to the two columns of smoke behind them, then holds out his hands to a squire to bind them.

With the older knight's armor removed, Lysanor works quickly in her attempt to clean out any open gashes, before pressing some herbs into them to help stop the bleeding and, hopefully, to aid in the man's natural healing process. A salve is applied to the rest of the smaller scrapes and bruises before she, with the help of one of the squires, begins to bandage the man up. "He took some brutal damage, but in time and with some rest, we'll be able to determine whether he will need more care or not. For now, we just need to keep him comfortable and safe. Her hands bloody, which can also be seen smeared over sections of her tunic, she then rises to leave the unconscious man in the care of his squire for now. With the Saxon Chieftain still looming around, this is the first time that she is able to take a good look at him. She rarely sees her foes this closely, especially not one of such import. Or at least not alive. She says nothing to his words, her eyes now scanning those around her to find the person who is the most injured out of their group.

Kamron urges his horse forward again, "Easy, Sir Lainn. Easy, Sir Gaius. Remember, we are all on the same side, here. We are all defenders of Salisbury and its people. This man has yielded, and we have several more prisoners as well, if they survive." He gestures to the fallen Saxons. Three of them are still alive, although it is difficult to tell at this point and from horseback. Looking down to his cousin, he adds, "Will he — " And then she is already answering his question, "Thank you, Lysie. I know he is in good hands. We'll clear out one of the carts," the ones with chickens in the back, "and use it to carry him. But we should keep moving as soon as everyone is safe to do so."

With the potential impromptu execution avoided, Elrick turns his charger away to look for Arian, knowing that she had also been knocked off her steed earlier. A slow trot brings him closer to his sister, his eyes making sure she isn't badly wounded, "Ari, you all right?" A genuine question of concern though what follows is certainly expected from the younger sister, "By the way." He doesn't even have to say more as Arian would finish what he is saying for him, about Elrick winning the bet.

Gaius is already riding away from the scene of the battle, though he clearly hears the words of the other Knight and the Saxon. His horse starts to circle around the others, the man clearly just needing some time to himself it seems.

Arian has finally gotten Blaze to calm, and she pulls up her gelding alongside Kamron's as she looks after the departing Knight. She glances over at him, and her voice drops into a secretive murmur. Then she offers him a small smile before she looks back over at her brothers. "Let's get our captives secured, hm?" Her gaze slides over Kamron once more before she starts to pull her horse away from his.

"Yes, yes, war is hell an all that rot." Lainn rolls his eyes, prodding the cheiftan along. "People die, such is life, and the cycle continues ladeeda. Spare your platitudes, no one on either side no longer cares at this point. If anyone really cared about ending the cycle of 'kill and revenge', none of us would be here. Now, shut up." With a grunt, he puts his lips up to whistle for Roach. "Roach! Get your big ass over here! Roach? Roach!"

Roach is in a nearby patch of grass, munching away and only grugingly trots over to Lainn.

Lysanor will move from one injured to the next, but like always, the Dinton maiden is used to some reluctance from knights who believe they require no healing. While the heated discussion over the fate of the war chieftain does disturb her, her gaze follows Gaius as the man sets off on his own, an action which brings a frown to her lips. For a moment, she simply watches him, allowing her healer's gaze to assess whether he may be in aid or not, but for the most part, he looks capable and well enough that she decides not to call out after him. There are other patients around as it is.

Kamron has just taken his helmet off when Arian rides up alongside him, and that allows the red flush at his ears to show, although honestly, he's a little pink under the helmet anyhow from the exertion of battle. That's his story, and he's sticking to it. He clears his throat, "I think it would indeed be a wise idea to get our captives secured, and put out a few more scouts on the way back. It will certainly strain the strength of our main body, but if we can avoid anything more like this…" He gestures down to Sir Agramar then, waving Lysanor off when she looks to him and tapping his chainmail, "Unhurt, Lysie." Although he does gesture to Arian to suggest that she could use a little attention.

Padrig has made his way slowly to the other squires left behind, and in silence he has dismounted his charger, given it a kind pat, and passed it off to his squire. His helmet comes off and he shakes out his sweaty hair before passing off this garment too. With a lift of one hand, he wards off any questions posed to him and walks away from the group; he doesn't move far, but enough of a distance to discourage even his own squire from following.

Gaius is not wounded in body, though he still retains a few bruises from his capture, nor it seems even in pride as he knows that the mercy the other Knights espoused is the true path he should walk. He is wounded in his own unique way, perhaps in some way tied to the cult of Death that is always whispered about when the Stapleford name is brought up. He keeps to himself, his gaze occasionally looking back to the others or sweeping across the landscape to keep watch.

Critical Fail!
You make a check for Squire First Aid Padrig's Foe at 10, you rolled 20.
Failed.
You make a check for Squire First Aid Arian's Foe at 10, you rolled 15.
Failed.
You make a check for Squire First Aid Kamron's Foe at 10, you rolled 13.

As the squires begin to work their way over the battlefield, they find dead men for the most part, although Sir Agramar's squire goes furtive for a moment and creates a dead man with his dagger before announcing, "This one's dead too," in the way of several calls from others about dead Saxons. Two, however, claim live Saxons, although badly wounded (the lance through the shoulder of one of them probably doesn't help).

If it's not one knight riding off into the sunset, it's another knight… dragging himself to where the squires and loot are kept. Unfortunately, Lysanor have seen some of these signs before, or Padrig's current actions only hint of what's to come. For now, she can only share a look with Kamron, before nodding to check on Arian. Or she would check on Arian, if not having heard word that one of the injured Saxons was actually dead and from where she stands, she can already tell that the others are in terrible shape as it is. No matter, her attention returns to Arian, remembering how the woman had fallen off of her horse, "Sir Arian, do you mind if I examine your wounds to ensure that none of them has become infected? If anything, you probably have a terrible bruise from the… fall."

For Arian:
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 3.
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 9.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)

For Padrig:
Failed.
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 17.
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 12.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)

For Elrick:
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 7.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 7.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (2) for a total of: (2)

For Lainn:
Critical Success!
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 14.
Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 9.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License