(514-07-05) Saxon Take-Out I
Summary: A group of Salisbury knights take the fight to the Saxons in the wake of the attack on Sarum.
Date: July 5, 514
Related: Followed by: Saxon Take-Out II
kamron landon isyld arian elrick lysanor padrig 


It has been a long trip across Hampshire, following the trail of destruction left by the Saxon army. Even if no one in the party was a particularly skilled huntsman, it does not take a great deal of effort to follow the trace of hundreds of fighting men. It may, however, be a little sobering, when you're in a group of less than a dozen knights and about the same number of squires. Summer has been mostly dry, and as the group forges ahead into the forested wealds of Sussex, the day dawns foggy, slowly clearing up as the sun rises so that by late morning, when smoke is sighted above the trees, the sun is bright, dappling the forest floor around the party. Ahead of them, the forest opens up into a rough-hewn clearing, wide enough for a few acres of crops, a few cows and sheep, and a small village of tall, fair-haired people.

Sir Agramar de Sarum, a Household knight of Earl Robert in his early thirties, draws his horse to a halt a half-dozen paces from one of the paths into the clearing, back far enough from the edge of the forest to hide the group relatively well, "So. Obviously, the squires will remain back with the extra horses and the Lady Lysanor. Any other suggestions?"

Success
Isyld checked her awareness of 15, she rolled 11.
Failed.
Lysanor checked her awareness of 9, she rolled 16.
Failed.
Elrick checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 19.
Failed.
Padrig checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 13.
Success
Arian checked her awareness of 10, she rolled 6.
Failed.
Landon checked his Awareness of 11, he rolled 13.
Success
Kamron checked his awareness at 9, he rolled 7.

"Don't charge into the fools without proper lances to counter their spears-" is Landon's advice as he settles in with the group plotting the attack. He has a squire (horrah!) who is currently holding the two horses that were brought for the mission. The charger that Landon rides and a rouncy for the squire.

Isyld was along and despite the odds, she seemed in relatively good spirits. It was rare to find her differently though. A good natured smile is given, her squire riding sort of nearby. When they come to the clearing, she looks ahead towards the village and the smile does actually falter then fade all together. "Looks like mostly women and children and aged people." She turns about to look behind them to make sure there was no ambush, doing a complete look around, listening.

The old, scarred gelding has a rather low, but incredibly steady stride. His pale dappled coat is flecked with red, and heavy stripes of darker gray and red run through his tail and mane. His rider is armored and armed, the former freshly repaired; her sword is worn at her hip and the Greenman-decorated shield on her back. She looks quite ready for what lies ahead, and her expression is serious. Arian rides alongside her cousin, and her gaze lifts to squint at the sun through the trees. But it is the village that draws her attention, and she intakes a deep breath. Her fingers work at the reins nervously. When the older knight points out his suggestion, Arian offers a quick nod. "Yes… obviously…"

As the group halts before reaching the well traveled paths into the clearing, Elrick gently tugs on the reins as well, pulling his charger to a stop. When Sir Agramar splits up the group, leaving the lady and squires behind, the Laverstock looks over towards the clearing, not seeing much from his position. "Sir Agramar, I will volunteer to ride on the outskirts. To make sure that none of the Saxons are able to flee to give warning, and offer advance notice if others approach. If you find that agreeable, Sir."

Having been witness to the raid against Sarum personally and the death which the Saxons brought to them, Lysanor has remained quiet and thoughtful during the entire trip. Dressed comfortably in a thin wool, she opts for a more natural hue as to better blend in with the environment. Dressed in two different tones of green, the lighter shade coloring her bliant, she rides alongside the others on her pure white horse, her eyes will look distant from time to time as she focusing more on the many thoughts in her mind than on this task at hand. However, they have finally come to a stop and thus her attention is turned outwards, chin lifted in the hopes that she can get a decent view of the village ahead of the them. When told of Isyld's findings, her lips form a gentle frown and she simply nods. There is very little for her to do at the moment, but even if there are merely women and children and the aged to be seen, there is still an underlying tension which she feels.

For once, Padrig does not appear to be in the mood for his usual jests and innuendo; he is stone-faced and quiet atop his charger beside Arian, and his jaw clenches as he looks out toward the village beyond them. His fingers clutch tightly at the reins, and only when Arian speaks does he loosen his grip and shake a cramp out from his hands. "Any final words of wisdom, cousin? I trust your brain over mine," he murmurs to the knight beside him while his gaze shifts toward Sir Agramar; his mount snorts and stamps one hoof, sensing Paddy's nervous tension. With nothing valuable to contribute, however, Padrig merely shakes his head.

Kamron dismounts from his rouncy, moving over to mount the graying charger that his squire holds, hauling himself into the saddle and gathering up his helmet and shield. He nods to Landon, "I think we can probably avoid that, Sir Landon." Isyld's comment turns his head around, and he studies the village more closely before he nods, "I think that you're right, Sir Isyld. I think we've caught them out before their warriors return." He looks around the group, rolling his neck to loosen it, and then pulls on his helmet, settling it over his head.

Sir Agramar nods at the suggestions, gesturing to Elrick, "Yes yes, I think that's a good idea. Take your brother with you." He gestures to the not-currently-present Lainn. "Remember, we are here for funds to rebuild Sarum and the damaged manors as much as we are to repay them, so do watch for anyone taking valuables out with them." He's not going to order the death of women or children, but he doesn't seem that worried about it either. After all, they're Saxons.

When the leader of the expedition agrees to his suggestion, Elrick offers Sir Agramar a nod before looking over to his brother, motioning to Lainn that he will be covering the east. Which means Lainn would be covering the west, both hemispheres effectively blocked off and watched. It appears that the two Laverstocks assigned to the task will not be joining unless necessary or if something arises from their position. "Good hunting, Sirs." His gaze does stop on both Arian and Padrig, as if to silently tell them to be safe.

Landon doesn't seem to be offering any suggestions. He's like a bull in a china shop, the only way was forward and charging! It wasn't as if he could sneak around considering his size. So he waits for Sir Agramar to decide on a plan of action, watching as Elrick goes off to scout the outskirts.

Likewise, Isyld follows Kamron's actions, beckoning her squire over to seat herself on the taller, stronger charger. Once she's comfortable, she checks her lance, her axe, checks her squire has her two spares, and her sword. Shield and helmet are what completes her gear for being prepared for anything. A nod is offered to Landon and she checks that spear also. Good to go, but for what? Watching Elrick, she looks between him and Sir Agramar before the former departs. Riding forward enough, she puts herself between the village and Lysanor, just in case.

Padrig watches quietly as Elrick volunteers, and he lifts his chin when he meets Elrick's gaze - bidding his own version of a silent farewell and 'take care'. He returns his attention to the group, joining in with the general slow shift of people and horses as they prepare for a possible charge. He beckons his squire forward who approaches to offer Padrig a lance; the knight accepts it with a nod, and nudges his charger in closer to Arian's side.

Looking from Elrick when he presents his suggestion to the far more veteran knight, Lysanor's gaze lifts to view Agramar for the moment to await the man's response. Her attention then trails behind the departing Elrick for the moment, before Isyld comes to join her. A small, reassuring smile graces her lips in the Lady Knight's direction, feeling just a touch safer in the other woman's presence. For the moment anyway. This very well may be the calm before some great storm.

"You trust my wisdom?" Arian murmurs back with a small quirk of a smile on her lips. "I don't know if that is wise…" Then she twists her hands up in the reins once more before she nods curtly to the other suggestions. "I suggest we go sooner rather than later… I've experienced the downside of waiting too often lately." Thanks to the whole ordeal with Sior where too much planning and chatting lead to a rather brutal exchange. So, the Laverstock adjusts her grip on her horse's reins and focuses on the village ahead.

Sir Agramar looks about the group once more, then nods his head, "Fine then. We'll charge in there, cause chaos, drive the women and children off, kill anyone who fights back, pillage, and then burn. The order is rather important. In your own time." And he switches horses as well, putting on his helm and getting a spear from his squire, "The youngsters will keep you quite safe, Lady Lysanor, I'm sure. Just be sure to call out if there's trouble." Turning back to the other knights, he urges his horse forward, "Charge in your own time." Landon gets a turn of the helmet, "And if you see any spears too long for your taste, do find a new target."

Kamron looks at all the spears, then sighs a little and beckons to Newt, who fumbles with a spear for a moment before passing it over to the Dinton knight. Kamron looks up to the point of the spear, then shakes his head with apparent distaste. He settles his aged charger in on Arian's other side — totally coincidence, that, and advances alongside the others.

The knights are only a little ways across the acres of open fields when they're noticed, and a warning cry goes up in the little village. Women and children as tall as many knights start hurrying toward their homes, while a group of men with gray, braided beards, heavy axes, and shields start to move toward the narrow entrance to the village between huts.

Isyld accepts the smile of reassurance from the lady and offers a smile back, inclining her head, "My lady," the greeting given before she takes a deep breath and looks back towards the village. "Pillage, don't kill the women or the kids. Or the older people.. but be on the lookout for guards hiding out among them. Surely they wouldn't leave a village so unprotected after what they just did to Sarum. They have to be expecting retaliation.." A nod given to Arian, she agrees, completely. Then the warning cry is given and she exhales, helmet tugged on, lance taken in hand. "And so it begins."

"Of course, Sir Agramar," Lysanor starts, her eyes looking to the faces of the squires, some so eager to find action of their own. "We will keep watch from this distance as well and hopefully, we'll be able to alert you if we catch wind of anything."

Landon looks eager suddenly, as if a dog has got his teeth into a bone. Oh wait, he was EATING. Yes, somewhere he had shoved some jerky into his mouth. Everyone needs an energy boost before causing trouble right? In either case, he flashes a grin to Sir Agramar for the decision to charge in and stir the bee hive. The Bear of Baverstock climbs back up onto his charger, settling gear to prepare.

Critical Fail!
Arian checked her lance of 10, she rolled 20. (+5 Horse +5 Lance=Critical Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Grayest Old Saxon vs Arian at 10, you rolled 17. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Arian rolls 12d6 and gets (6 2 6 1 3 5 4 2 6 2 4 2) for a total of: (43) (-6 armor=37 damage)

Arian casts her cousin another wry smile. "Alright… keep up!" Then she spurs her heels into the mulberry's sides, and the horse charges forward with a kick of hooves. She draws her lance from behind her shield. She makes straight for one of the first Saxons — an old, greying warrior that has perhaps seen better days. A combination of her horse's full-bodied ride and the precision of her speartip sends the man backwards, hitting the ground. Arian tugs her horse around as if to prepare for another pass, but her target is not getting up…

Success
Isyld checked her lance of 15, she rolled 8.(+5 Horse +5 Lance=Success)
Success
You make a check for Prettiest Old Saxon vs Isyld at 10, you rolled 3. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Isyld rolls 6d6 and gets (5 1 6 5 3 6) for a total of: (26) (-6 armor -6 shield=14 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Prettiest Old Saxon's Unconscious at 10, you rolled 18.

A last minute instruction for her squire, "Stay with the lady, protect her." Then Isyld is off like a shot, lance out, aiming for the one who actually looks like he had a bath this month. His hair was sort of clean. Until she smashes into him with her lance. When he falls, she draws up on her reins, bringing her charger to a sudden stop while she brings up her axe, prepared to continue fighting.

Failed.
Kamron checked his lance at 10, he rolled 15. (+5 Horse +5 Lance=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Average Old Saxon vs Kamron at 10, you rolled 15. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (5 5 1 3 2 5) for a total of: (21) (-6 armor=15 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Average Old Saxon's Unconscious at 9, you rolled 13.

For a wonder, Kamron actually manages to hit his target with his lance, slipping the point past the Saxon's shield and punching it into the man's chest. His spear cracks midway up its length, sending splinters flying and leaving Kam holding a length of wood about three feet long. It's a familiar feeling, but this time, there's no dread in the man's heart. Instead, he merely turns his horse within the confines of the Saxon village, pulling the axe from the loop at the right side of his belt and looking around to see the results of his charge.

Success
Landon checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 8. (+5 Mounted +5 Lance=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Axe vs Landon at 10, you rolled 3. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Landon rolls 6d6 and gets (3 1 6 3 3 5) for a total of: (21)
Failed.
You make a check for Landon's Saxon's DEX at 5, you rolled 8.

Bear to bear, Landon charges with the other's but his target is meant for the beast of a Saxon that could measure at the same height as he is, close to at any rate! There's only one loud adrenaline hollering yell as he runs his lance into the other man. It's not a killing blow, but one that sends the tall bugger to kiss the earth all the same, and is successful.

Success
Padrig checked his lance of 15, he rolled 8. (+5 Mounted +5 Lance=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Fattest Old Saxon vs Padrig at 10, you rolled 19. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Padrig rolls 6d6 and gets (1 6 2 4 1 1) for a total of: (15) (-6 armor=9 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Fattest Saxon's DEX at 5, you rolled 19.

Gritting his teeth, Padrig shifts his lance for a better grip before kicking his charger into a full-on gallop. He swings wide out to Arian's side, lining up with the fattest Saxon of the group. So of course it's only natural that his blow is glancing; yes, it's only natural that Paddy cannot hit the broad side of a stables in bright daylight with nothing in the way. It's only natural that the Saxon raises his weapon in time to knock the lance aside, and in doing so snaps it right out of Padrig's hand and then promptly tumbles onto his butt. In disgust, Paddy throws aside the splintered remains as he completes his pass, and his hand drops to his hilt to draw his sword. At least he managed to knock the fat bastard onto the ground.

Success
You make a check for Agramar's Lance at 25, you rolled 11. (+5 Horse and +5 Lance included)
Success
You make a check for Old Saxon vs Agramar at 10, you rolled 6. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Kamron rolls 6d6 and gets (3 6 5 2 6 3) for a total of: (25) (-6 armor -6 shield=13 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Agramar's Old Saxon's Unconscious at 11, you rolled 16.

Sir Agramar's lance strikes true, splintering his own spear as he rides past his target. The experienced knight drops the haft of his lance and draws out his sword, wheeling his horse and pointing to the nearest hut, "There's more of them!"

Indeed, even as Arian kills her target, and Isyld, Kamron, and Agramar's targets don't get up, the aging and broken bodies thrown onto the ground, several of them with spearpoints still piecing them. But there are more Saxons coming out of the huts, three of them with long spears, two with axes and shields, and one of them, an ugly, scarred old bastard, with just the axe. None of them looks a day under fifty, and several of them, including the man without a shield and with a half-dozen layers of scars across his bare chest, look to be over sixty.

Critical Success!
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 15. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Axe vs Arian at 10, you rolled 6. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (2 6 2 5) for a total of: (15) (-6 armor -6 shield=3 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon's DEX check vs Arian at 5, you rolled 13.

Blaze dances around, tail flicking this way and that as his rider seeks another Saxon. Arian tosses away her broken spear, and immediately draws her sword to bare. Her shield is shifted and braced as she turns her sights on one of the axe-and-shield wielding Saxons. She pushes her horse forward and sweeps her sword out to strike at the Saxon, though the precision is not as it was with her spear as her sword rattles against the man's shield, though her blade does manage to knick across his wrist.

Critical Fail!
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 20. (+5 Mounted=Critical Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Axe vs Isyld at 10, you rolled 4. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Isyld rolls 10d6 and gets (1 2 4 6 2 2 4 4 2 5) for a total of: (32) (-6 armor -6 shield=20 damage)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Unconscious check vs Isyld at 4, you rolled 2.
OOC: Forgot the Axe's special ability against shields on both sides throughout this scene.

So the sound of an axe striking Saxon is pretty disgusting but somehow satisfying. Isyld knocks him down at least, leaving a trail of two behind her. For just a moment, she takes the second to look around and gauge the others, to see where she is needed, noticing two on the Dinton, she hesitates just long enough to see if the Laverstock was going to aid. If she is, she moves to assist Sir Agramar, against the spearman. (In the next round)

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 3. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon's Axe vs Landon at 10, you rolled 14. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (5 1 3 5 2) for a total of: (16) (-6 armor=10 damage)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Saxon's DEX check vs Landon at 5, you rolled 20.

Lance is dropped, sword is unsheathed. Landon's target gets up from the initial attack but another sword swing puts him down again. But the brute was stubborn - as he ought to be at that size. Thus, the fight continues.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 8. (Skill Split: 8 +5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Old Saxon's Spear vs Kamron at 14, you rolled 3.
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (2 2 1 6) for a total of: (11) (-6 armor -6 shield=0 damage)
Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 8. (Skill Split: 7 +5 Mounted=Success)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Old Saxon's Spear vs Kamron at 14, you rolled 20.
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (2 5 2 3) for a total of: (12) (-6 armor=6 damage)

Kamron finds two old men charging at him from within houses, managing to get his shield up in time to fend off one spear-point. His charger wheels to allow him to face the other one at the same time, hooking the blade of his axe around the haft and bringing it down hard, snapping the spear over his knee. While the aged man stumbles and tries to recover from the broken weapon, Kamron lowers his shield, hacking down over top rim to bury his axe in the man's shoulder, "Does anyone else feel strange fighting gray-hairs? I think Sir Bellas," his old knight, "would have hit me for complaining, but…"

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 1. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Axe vs Padrig at 10, you rolled 9. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (2 2 1 3) for a total of: (8) (-12 armor -6 shield=0 damage)

Padrig swings his charger back around and with sword in hand attempts to lay into his wounded Saxon. The wily bastard is ready, though, and easily knocks back Paddy's swing away with his axe. The axe continues in an arc and thuds against Padrig's shield, which he brings up at the very last second and at a bad angle; the axe blade slides down the shield and strikes against Paddy's thigh glancingly. The *sching* of metal-on-metal is loud but comforting in the Laverstock knight's ears as he nudges his charger out of range and maneuvers to bring him back toward that same damnable Saxon bastard.

Failed.
You make a check for Agramar's Sword vs Spear at 14, you rolled 15. (Skill Split: 9 +5 Mounted=Failed.)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Agramar at 14, you rolled 18.
Failed.
You make a check for Berserker's Love: Wotan at 16, you rolled 18.
Success
You make a check for Agramar's Sword vs Berserker at 15, you rolled 9. (Skill Split: 10 +5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon Berserker vs Agramar at 10, you rolled 7. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Disheartened already included)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (2 2 5 2 6) for a total of: (17) (-10 armor=7 damage)
Success
You make a check for Old Saxon Berserker DEX at 10, you rolled 2.

The second wave of Saxons runs into a wall of weapons, one being dropped immediately by the axewoman, another knocked down by a thunderous blow on the shield that drives him to his (aching) knees, the Bear knocks down his taller original foe, and one of them actually manages to get a hit on Padrig — although it doesn't do any harm through the layers of metal. Three spearmen hem in Kamron and Agramar, all of them remaining on their feet for all that one looks to his broken spear with confusion and frustration. And then there's the really, really, really ugly and scarred-up old man. He raises his axe over his head, bellowing an invocation to Wotan — okay, gumming an invocation to Wotan — but it doesn't get the blood flowing like it used to, and with a bit of disappointment writ on his gray-mustachioed face, he advances on Agramar, who fends off the spearman, and actually manages to get a sword into the distracted berserker.

Hidden amdist the trees and in the company of the other squires, Lysanor's gaze is cast out to view the confrontation in the distance. Sensing her nervousness, the woman's horse shifts beneath her, before she is able to sooth it with a gentle hand and soft words. From her hiding place, her eyes continue to observe, seeking out her cousin first and foremost through the chaos. Even still, the fighting aside, she does as promised and surveys the area surrounding the group. She knows that the scouting team will learn of something first, but if they don't or if they are making a hasty return to the village, she wants to be on the ready in case she has to take any actions herself.

Back in the trees, Newt looks over to Lysanor, "Don't worry, Lady Lysanor. Kamron's learned not to take on two Saxons at once." And then he looks back to the village and… oh… look… there's Kamron fending off two spearmen. Newt winces broadly, "That is, not two axemen at once. Y — y — yes, that's what he learned."

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 6. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Axe vs Arian at 5, you rolled 18. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Knocked Down included)
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (4 5 5 6) for a total of: (20) (-6 armor=14 damage)
Critical Success!
You make a check for Saxon's Unconscious vs Arian at 7, you rolled 7.
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon's DEX vs Arian at 5, you rolled 7.
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Valorous vs Arian at 12, you rolled 3.

The Laverstock woman pulls her gelding around with her sword still readied and shield tucked against her side. Arian tightens her jaw as the Saxon. "I would offer surrender," she hisses. She does not say more before she drives the horse forward once more, this time with her focus behind the swipe across the graying man's chest. His shield and armor does little for him, and he ends up on the ground under the power of her strike. "I suggest staying down!"

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 9. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Axe vs Landon at 5, you rolled 19. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Knocked Down included)
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (3 2 4 5 1) for a total of: (15)

Finally, Landon managed to plow his sword through the Saxon's neck. It ended things for good, for his opponent. Onwards to causing chaos and plundering and such. He's a figure in the background now, but he's still doing what he needs to help out.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Critical Success!
You make a check for Saxon Axe vs Padrig at 10, you rolled 10. (-5 Mounted Foe included)
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (4 1 1 3 6 2 2 4) for a total of: (23) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=5 damage)
Success
Padrig checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 8.

This day just keeps getting better and better…for Padrig's target, who not only dexterously (which is somewhat surprising and also revolting to watch) knocks back Padrig's sword like it's nothing, before delivering a fierce chop into his side partially slowed by the edge of Paddy's shield. The Laverstock grunts in pain with the impact but knees his charger into pulling away, wrenching himself free. Gasping, he urges the charger out of reach once more and around in a circle to circumvent the inertia from the clash and to keep ahorse. Luckily he stays aloft, and with gritted teeth and half-growl, half-screech of determination prepares to stab at the Saxon again.

Failed.
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 16. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Isyld at 14, you rolled 5.
Isyld rolls 5d6 and gets (2 5 1 3 1) for a total of: (12) (-6 armor -6 shield=0 damage)

Isyld makes a swing for the Saxon, one with a spear on Kamron, and finds nothing but Shield with it. Frustrated, she draws it back, but gets hit in the process. It's not enough to unhorse her but it's too close! She makes another swing, trusting her squire is protecting the lady.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 8. (Skill Split:3 +5 Mounted=Critical Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Stick vs Kam at 9, you rolled 3. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (6 3 3 6 1 6 1 6) for a total of: (32) (-6 armor -6 shield=20 damage)
Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 1. (Skill Split:12 +5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon's Spear vs Kam at 14, you rolled 17.
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (6 6 6 3) for a total of: (21) (-6 armor=15 damage)
Success
You make a check for Saxon Spearman's Unconscious vs Kam at 9, you rolled 1.
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Spearman's DEX vs Kam at 5, you rolled 16.

Kamron nods to Isyld as the axewoman drives her horse close, "Thank you, Sir Isyld," and then he's spurring his own horse over toward where Sir Agramar is facing two foes. As he goes, he guides his horse's shoulder into the man with the broken spear, sending him staggering and almost casually chopping his axe down into the man's head. He twists to draw the axe free, and then he's facing another spearman, and this is not nearly as casual, the knight collecting another thrust on his shield and then slamming his axe into the graybeard's shoulder, slamming him down to the ground.

Success
You make a check for Agramar's Sword at 24, you rolled 6. (+5 Mounted already included)
Kamron rolls 5d6 and gets (4 2 6 3 4) for a total of: (19) (-10 armor=9 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Berserker's DEX at 10, you rolled 17. (Berserker uses Uncontrolled Attack, but is knocked down before he can attack)

Sir Agramar takes advantage of the support from the Dinton, watching the scarred-up Saxon psych himself up, and then planting a sword neatly in the join of his chest and arm, thrusting the old man onto his back before his charger.

The Saxons are definitely getting the worst of it, apparently outmatched by the youth of the attacking knights. They are, however, buying time for the women and children of the village to gather their belongings and flee. Several women carry sacks holding their belongings, or hefting children on their hips, or trying to run off flocks of sheep.

Success
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 2. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Critical Success!
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Isyld at 14, you rolled 14.
Kamron rolls 8d6 and gets (3 2 3 4 1 6 5 3) for a total of: (27) (-12 Reinforced Mail -6 Shield=9 damage)
Isyld rolls 1d6 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)

Falling off her horse is pretty painful but Isyld was more worried about the hit she took from the spearman. Another worry was being on the ground with the others she had knocked down earlier, it's a real concern! She does manage to get her weapon and shield, hefting it towards the spearman… Old people suck.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 11. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon axe vs Padrig at 10, you rolled 5. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Padrig rolls 5d6 and gets (4 6 5 1 4) for a total of: (20) (-6 armor=14 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon DEX vs Padrig at 5, you rolled 15.

Finally! Frustrated, Padrig stabs viciously at his Saxon target, and this time the man cannot get his body twisted out of the way in time. There is a satisfying give as his sword sinks into the flesh, and he yanks his weapon free just before the charger dives past and whips in a half-arc again to bring Padrig back to face his really, really obnoxious foe. The blood gleams wetly on his blade, and the Laverstock bares his teeth in a crazy half-grimace/half-smile.

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 9. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Kamron at 9, you rolled 13. (-5 for knocked down included)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (1 2 2 6) for a total of: (11) (-6 armor=5 damage)

As the Saxon spearman tries to get back to his feet, Kamron loops his axe under, slipping it past the other man's shield and punching it into his chest. This time, when the old man goes down, he doesn't get back up. Kamron wheels around, spotting Isyld falling from her horse, and urges his horse back in that direction again, "I apologize, Sir Isyld. I know I should never leave a lady without a chaperon." Circling around, he slams his axe-head into his shield to create a clatter, adding, "I have been a boor, Sir. Will you ever excuse me?"

Success
You make a check for Old Saxon Berserker vs Agramar at 20, you rolled 18. (-5 Disheartened -5 Downed +10 Defensive included)
Success
You make a check for Agramar vs KDed Saxon Sword at 29, you rolled 1. (+5 Mounted +5 Downed Foe included)

The Berserker hauls himself slowly to his feet, bleeding and bloodied, defending himself with the haft of the axe from Sir Agramar. There aren't many Saxons left standing anymore, and most of them are women or children fleeing their home.

Failed.
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 18. (+5 Mounted +5 Downed Foe=25 Skill. +5 to roll=Critical Success)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Saxon axe vs Arian at 5, you rolled 20. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Downed already included)
Arian rolls 8d6 and gets (3 5 5 3 2 6 4 3) for a total of: (31) (-6 armor=25 damage)

Her Saxon does not get up. Arian takes a careful account of the village, counting up her fellow knights before she spots the older Knight facing off against the Saxon. She kicks in her heels again, driving Blaze forward toward Berseker. Her shield is drawn in tight, and her sword tucked in as she pushes forward. Then she slashes out, her sword cutting up the Saxon's back and sending him sprawling so that Agramar can land that final hit. "Padrig! How are you faring?" She starts to look around, hoping to spot Elrick and Lainn at some point in this chaos too.

Success
Arian checked her sword of 15, she rolled 14. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Arian rolls 4d6 and gets (6 1 5 5) for a total of: (17) (-10 armor=7 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Berserker's DEX vs Arian at 10, you rolled 17. (-5 Mounted Foe already included)
Success
You make a check for Agramar Sword vs Berserker at 24, you rolled 16.
Kamron rolls 10d6 and gets (5 4 2 1 1 3 5 1 4 4) for a total of: (30) (-10 armor=20 damage)

Success
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 12. (-5 Knocked Down=Failed.)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Isyld at 9, you rolled 20. (Skill Split:4 +5 Downed Foe)

Isyld belatedly gives Kamron a nod, since his thanks. She tries to get to her feet and all, finally, still swinging the axe at the foe.. but Kamron, the self-proclaimed romantic knight, or was it gentleman knight? He comes to her rescue. "Thank you, in return."

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 6. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Spear vs Kamron at 10, you rolled 14. (Skill Split:10)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (4 4 3 2) for a total of: (13) (-6 armor=7 damage)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon DEX vs Kamron at 5, you rolled 19.
Success
You make a check for Saxon Spearman's Valorous at 12, you rolled 1.

Kamron's clatter of axe on shield draws much of the Saxon spearman's attention, so that he can guide aside another thrust of the spear and hack into the man's back as he rides past, circling back to help cover the ground-bound axewoman and give her time to get back to her feet, "I couldn't leave myself in your debt for the rescue, now could I, Sir Isyld?" His head turns away from the battle before him for a moment, finding the Laverstock colors on two frames still on their steeds, and then looks back to his own opponent, "I had to return the favor."

Sir Agramar takes advantage of Arian's blow, slashing across the throat of the falling graybeard, cutting across three scars to finish the old man. That leaves only a single spearman alive and fighting, and he struggles to rise to his feet despite his spear having gotten broken off at some point. Raising his quavering voice, he begins to sing a death-song, bold and clear.

Success
Padrig checked his sword of 15, he rolled 2. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon Axe vs Padrig at 5, you rolled 19. (-5 Mounted Foe -5 Knocked Down already included)
Padrig rolls 5d6 and gets (6 2 4 6 4) for a total of: (22) (-6 armor=16 damage)

With his final salvo, Padrig makes a desperate thrust toward his downed Saxon. The large man is still dazed from having the wind knocked out of him, and he is given no reprieve as the Laverstock drives his sword into the man's lung. Without so much as a word, Paddy leaves the man to choke on his own blood as he wheels about and checks the status of the other knights. The others appear to be whole, fairly well, and in the process of finishing off their final targets. Paddy dismounts and leads his charger slowly through the village as he begins the slow process of ransacking the huts for valuables left behind.

"Thank you, Sir Kamron," Isyld offers, but she's not going to go and leave him with the spearman. She's hurt, but she's determined to help take down the old guy. While the others do what they can, she tries to just stay in the fight, hoping her squire managed to keep tabs on her horse once she fell off.. while guarding the lady. Isyld doesn't ask for much!

Success
Kamron checked his axe at 15, he rolled 7. (+5 Mounted=Success)
Success
You make a check for Saxon's Stick vs Kamron at 5, you rolled 3. (Skill Split:10 -5 Mounted Foe already included)
Kamron rolls 4d6 and gets (1 6 1 4) for a total of: (12) (-6 armor=6 damage)

Success
Isyld checked her axe of 15, she rolled 4.
Failed.
You make a check for Saxon's Stick vs Isyld at 4, you rolled 9. (Skill Split:4)
Isyld rolls 5d6 and gets (3 6 2 5 2) for a total of: (18) (-6 armor=12 damage)

Failed.
Arian checked her awareness of 10, she rolled 13.
Failed.
Lysanor checked her awareness of 9, she rolled 12.
Failed.
Elrick checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 11.
Success
Padrig checked his awareness of 10, he rolled 2.

Arian sweeps out of her saddle, dismounting to start the search around the village with the others.

With the confrontation against the Saxons winding down, Lysanor looks a tiny bit more relaxed than she had in a long while. She draws herself taller, straightening her back as she shifts within her saddle, the fingers which once held her reigns tightly only now beginning to loosen. "My dear cousin may be somewhat reckless." She comments idly to Newt, "But he, no they, have quickly made short work of it all. For the most part, I think." She knows that the fight isn't over yet, but with the others already beginning their search, there is some concern that forces her her brows to knit, "Let us hope that we are able to depart before the rest of the Saxons return."

Padrig disappears into a hut somewhere close to the center of the village, and he is only gone for a handful of seconds before he's backpedaling out the door. "I've got something over here! Gonna need some help!" he calls out loudly, and vaguely, before heading inside once more.

Success
Elrick checked his merciful of 10, he rolled 8.

With the battle winding down, Elrick scans the horizon one last time before turning his charger about and heads into the small village with his unused lance tucked under his arm. As he enters the small village, by luck, he runs into a Saxon woman who has a rather valuable prize by the reins. She is attempting to lead a charger away, either to flee on it to with it. Having none of that, the Laverstock Knight immediately rides in front of her, cutting off the escape route, "Yield! Or I will force you to yield!" His tone certainly sounds menacing, though whether or not the knight would ride down the woman has yet to be seen. The reaction from the woman was panic, letting go of the reins to turn to run. It appears that Elrick is feeling merciful today because instead of running her down from behind, he trots his steed to the charger she leaves behind, reaching out for the reins to secure the horse.

<OOC> Kamron says, "Okay, so that's 7 dead Saxons, and 5 unconscious with Major Wounds."

Kamron combines with Isyld to demonstrate the superiority of axes over spears, chopping down the old Saxon as he desperately tries to strike out at them with his broken spear. It's not really fair, but he's still trying to hit the knights, so it's okay, right? Nodding to the axewoman, he turns about to start looking around the village. Padrig's call gets his attention, and he spurs his charger in that direction, gathering axe and shield alike in his left hand to dismount smoothly and join the Laverstock man inside the hut, "What is it?"

Sir Agramar looks about as well, then begins to beckon the squires and Lady on when it appears that there are no further warriors left in the village.

Newt nods quickly enough to Lysanor to inspire future generations to create the bobblehead, "A good knight doesn't w — worry about his safety, Lady Lysanor, only the s — safety of others." Probably not the best lesson for Kam to be teaching him, but Kam is as new to teaching as Newt is to learning. "It, it looks like they've cleared the village, Lady Lysanor, if you want to see it before it's burned?"

With most of the Saxon warriors having already fallen or were dead, Lysanor edges her horse forward a touch so that she may get a better sense of the wounded, both in her own party and among the Saxons. However, after having heard one of the Laverstocks, she isn't quite sure of his name, calling out in need of assistance, she exchanges a glance with Newt, "I suppose that isn't a terrible idea and maybe we can see if there is anything which we can do to help." She ignores the odd stuttering in the poor squire's speech and simply flashes him with a comforting smile, "Shall we?" And this is said to all the squires, none of whom would want to be left behind, she is certain. With those words spoken, she presses her horse forward to wander closer into the village and perhaps in the direction of the hut that Padrig disappeared into.

Those nearest the hut may hear a bit of scuffling and some grunting, and then the sound of something heavy being dragged. Pause. Scrape. Pause. Scrape. Eventually Padrig emerges again, backing out of the hut with his arms curled under those of an unconscious knight; the man is quite clearly not a Saxon. Paddy lays him down outside the hut, resting a hand on the knight's chest and then his forehead to check for life before he steps back into the hut. A moment later he returns with arms and armor for a knight, and a surcoat in Stapleford colors. "Lady Lysanor," he calls out, seeing that the woman is now approaching from the distance with the squires as her entourage. He raises a hand to catch her attention, just in case.

Failed.
Lysanor checked her heraldry of 3, she rolled 16. (+10 for well-known manor=Failed.)
Failed.
Elrick checked his heraldry of 10, he rolled 19. (+10 for well-known manor=Success)
Failed.
Padrig checked his heraldry of 6, he rolled 15.(+10 for well-known manor=Success)
Failed.
Elrick checked his recognize of 7, he rolled 14.
Failed.
Padrig checked his recognize of 7, he rolled 16.
Failed.
Kamron checked his heraldry at 5, he rolled 7. (+10 for well-known manor=Success)
Failed.
Kamron checked his recognize at 5, he rolled 10.

Drawing closer to the hut and hearing all of the raucous coming from within, Lysanor bows her head a tad as if trying ot peek inside of the structure while still on her horse, but even she knows that this will never do. "Perhaps we should take a closer look. I am curious as to what was found." This is spoken to Newt once more as she allows the helpful squire to assist her from her horse to stand safely on the ground. Before she even turns to enter the hut, she hears her name called, "Come on, Newt, let's see what… oh my." Her eyes widen slowly when Padrig brings out some the arms and armor of what should have been a familiar house, but with grime and blood, possibly, covering the surcoat, it's difficult for her to make out which, despite it's familiarity. "What is this? Or… where did /they/, the Saxons come across this gear?"

Kamron blinks at the burden that Padrig is hauling out, slipping the haft of his axe into the loop at his belt and stepping forward to help haul the man out of the hut and get him comfortable on the trampled grass. He looks over to Newt as Lysanor approaches, nodding his thanks and then gesturing around the buildings, "Start going through them, Newt. Bring out anything of value." Sir Agramar has already begun the search, but Kamron keeps his attention on the apparent knight, "This man does not look much like a Saxon, although I certainly cannot place his name, Lysie." Spotting the blood on Padrig's armor, he reaches up, pulling off his own helmet, then inquires, "Are you alright, Sir Paddy? I know that Sir Isyld took a wound too, and some of those Saxons aren't dead yet…"

As the adrenaline begins to wane, Padrig sags against the wall of the hut and presses an armored hand to his side. He pants heavily, brows knitted as he gazes at the unconscious man and the pile of gear dumped on the ground in front of him. "Raid in Sarum, probably," he answers between breaths before shaking his head at Lysanor. The helmet rattles, and in frustration he yanks it off his head to reveal a mass of spiky, sweat-slicked hair. "A Stapleford, if this gear is his, but how he wound up here I have no idea, my lady. Saxons aren't known to kidnap for ransom." His gaze drifts to Kamron, and he offers a wry grin and a wave of dismissal with his free hand. "Shall we run them through, then, or leave them where they lay?"

Returning the charger to the group as they gather where Padrig found quite the prize, Elrick looks around for someone's squire to take the reins of the steed he recovered. "If one of our knights have already been here from the Sarum raid, then some of their warriors must have already returned." This certainly troubles the Laverstock as their assumption was that they had arrived before the Saxon warriors returned home, "I'm going to make another round on the outskirts of this village, to make sure we have not walked into an ambush." As for what to do with the unconscious, old prisoners, Padrig's cousin can only shrug his shoulders, "I'd say that if one wakes and tells us how this knight arrived here, and where the other Saxons are, grant mercy. Otherwise they deserve none."

"If that is so, worry that he was starved or mistreated this whole time that he was here." Lysanor's concern can be clearly heard in her tone. "It's a good thing that you had found him, Sir… Paddy." She had not caught his full name initially, but as this is what Kamron had called him, she will take it as Paddy is this young knight's name! "And it's a good thing that we came across him now before…" Realizing that the man very well could be grievously injured, she moves forward to examine the Stapleford: first checking his breathing before looking for any signs of bloody wounds that she can find. From her lowered position, knelt beside the unconscious man, her gaze lifts to view exactly what Kamron was talking about, "I have some salves and bandages that may help."

Success
Kamron checked his battle at 12, he rolled 11.
Failed.
Kamron checked his merciful at 10, he rolled 16.
Success
Kamron checked his vengeful at 10, he rolled 9.

Kamron nods to Elrick, although he does note, "I would think that they would have struck before now if they were going to ambush us." The question of the Saxons is a trickier one, at least for a moment, and he shrugs, "I say we kill them now, put them out of their misery. They didn't show Sarum any mercy, I don't see why we should show them any." Grimacing a little, he grunts, "It's Sir Agramar's decision though." He leans back from the downed knight's side as Lysanor settles in to do her work, "Sir Padrig de Laverstock, my cousin, Lady Lysanor. Sir Paddy is cousin to both Sir Trystan and Sir Arian." He gestures over to the other knight hovering about, "And Sir Elrick, of course."

"Padrig, aye, Padrig is my given name," Paddy replies, straightening up slowly and glancing dispassionately at the bodies of the unconscious Saxons strewn about. His gaze flicks back to Kamron and he barks a dry laugh while shaking his head. "Nay, Trystan is my older brother. Would that I could simply be 'a cousin' then I would not suffer his self-righteousness. Sir Elrick, toss me those reins and I will hold your captured charger while you run a quick scout." He staggers for a moment as he steps away from the support of the wall, but then he straightens and finds his footing. "I'll see to them if Sir Agramar agrees with your decision, Sir Kamron," he murmurs, clapping his fellow knight on the shoulder. "What say you, Lady Lysanor? Shall our mystery knight live?"

Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 4.

Lysanor has no opinion on what should happen to the rest of the Saxon injured, her full attention right now is to focus on the unconscious Stapleford knight. As his armor is removed, she has a better sense of his well-being, finding minor abrasions which are already healing among some tender bruising. The relief of her findings are clear upon her features and though she does not quite smile, her expression softens and the furrow of her brow begins to fade. "Yes, he will live. He looks to be healing naturally now, perhaps having been tended to just prior, but tended to by whom and for what purpose? Perhaps he will be able to tell us once he comes to." Rising to stand, though she doesn't go far from the unconscious knight, she looks to the pair of Laverstocks whom she is introduced to, looking a touch embarrassed by her error, "Sir Padrig, my apologies. And…" Her eyes turn to Elrick, "Sir Elrick. You have my gratitude for assisting Sir Bryce de Baverstock during the Sarum raid. For that, I am thankful."

Tossing the reins of the extra charger towards Padrig, Elrick turns his gaze on Lysanor and inclines his head at her thanks, "It was my duty as a knight to help another who was risking his life defending Sarum. I am sure he would have done the same for me were our positions reversed, My Lady." However, the prognosis of the captured knight having received tending causes the Laverstock to arch a brow, "Are you certain he was tended to before we found him, not just dealt repeated beatings? Do you think… some of those Saxons were treating him?" It would make no sense, unless they wanted to keep Gaius alive long enough to ransom him.

Kamron presses his hand to his chest as he's corrected by Padrig, "You're quite right, my mistake, Sir Padrig of the main line of Laverstock." Kamron steps back to his own charger, gathering up his reins and tying them around one of the poles jutting out of the home. Letting out a breath, he looks around, "I'll go find Sir Agramar, see what the others have found, and get a decision on the Saxons. And then we'll exact some vengeance." Nodding to Elrick, he adds, "It wouldn't be unheard of. Rare, but not unheard of."

Padrig catches the reins of the charger and walks it toward his own to tie it up loosely for the time being. He waves away Kamron's apology as if the mistake were nothing - and to him, perhaps that is so. "Have we got squires keeping watch for any returning Saxons, Sir Elrick?" he inquires as he pauses to check his side. He frowns deeply at the damaged armor, but a quick, painful prod reveals the bleeding of his wound has slowed and begun clotting. "We'll need a couple hands to help tie yon man to a mount, and set a few squires to his sides to keep him ahorse on our way back. Lady Lysanor, will you take a quick look at this cut? I really just want to know if it's going to stop bleeding and whether I'll have a nice scar after this."

Smiling softly to Elrick's response, Lysanor nods in agreement to his words, her features brightening gently. The question regarding the unconscious man, however, gives her this thoughtful look, "He is still in recovery, but… it very well may be that they had planned to ransom him. I expected to find him in far worse shape. His wounds are not infected nor was he inflicted with anything more that wasn't already bandaged." It is a mystery to her as well, apparently. "I will continue to monitor him and hope that he awakens at some point. There doesn't seem to be any fractured in his skull or anything of the sort, thankfully." With her pouches filled with various healing supplies, she meets up with Padrig now, already taking a careful look at his wound and preparing to cleanse it out with a vial of vinegar. "Of course, but this may sting, but it will help keep the wound clean."

"The charger may actually be his." Elrick says as he nods his head towards the downed knight, "May be easier to strap him onto the horse. As for squires, I believe one of them is keeping watch with Sir Lainn, I will go assist though. Can't hurt to have an extra pair of eyes." With that, the Laverstock is off, nudging his own steed into a quick trot and then a gentle gallop.

Success
Lysanor checked her firstaid of 14, she rolled 3.
Lysanor rolls 1d3 and gets (1) for a total of: (1)

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License