(514-05-20) Baverstock and Burcombe
Summary: The challenges of Bryce versus Landon, Caerwyn versus Catryn and Landon versus Catryn.
Date: May 20th, 514
Related: Other Wedding Tournament logs.
bryce landon catryn caerwyn signe morag elrick 



Carlion Countryside Carlion
May of the year 514. — Sun Jan 17 12:29:01 2016


Rolling hills, and wooded thickets make up much the countryside of Carlion, with the river Usk cutting a green path from the north, past the city, and emptying into the ocean to the south. Two notable things are visible from the countryside immediately surrounding Carlion, the first is the stone castle that sits atop a hill at Carlion, the second the ships docked near the mouth of the Usk river, part of the kingdoms navy.


Personal challenges were being issued outside of Carlion, in the charming scenery of the countryside where a moderate crowd of knights and other spectators were already hanging about; this area being more of a side phenomenon to the official contests of the tournament, but then again… knights always yearned to test their mettle against others, and here was the chance to do so!

Bryce de Baverstock has found his way here as well today, armored in his maille and carrying a blunted tourney sword along with a shield showing off the coat of arms of his manor. He scans those present with perhaps surprising confidence - surprising, because he is not the tallest of knights, a rather lanky fellow. Dark eyes lighten up as he spots a tall knight whom he approaches right away.

"Landon. Will you do me the honor?", asks Bryce with a wink and a daring grin apparent on his angular features. "Time to show me what you have learned…" Not that he has not already a demonstration of that, under rather serious circumstances. Even so, the challenge has been issued, and Bryce gets ready, watching his brother with a competitive glint in his eyes.

Standing on the sidelines, Catryn looks to be in relatively good humor still, there's even a smile worn as she talks to her squire. Of course this makes the young girl wary, not used to it from her knight, but nothing seems to be taking her down from this mood. As the brothers take the field, she watches them, her squire with her gear for the next set of challenges she might take.

Landon stood aloof to the side of the ring of knights sizing each other up for the personal contests, unsurprised that a few have given him the nod and in turn he has signalled to them the approval of eventually setting swords against one another. One does wait until the space had been cleared from one bout or the next prior to shuffling in to take a round for themselves. That is what Landon has been doing, waiting patiently. And it's Bryce who actually makes the move to draw him forward. A cheeky grin is returned to Bryce, "I shall Brother. To what terms do we fight? Three hits?"

Happening to be present and sitting on a grassy bank with a small repast and a couple of other members of her household, Signe occasionally glances at the field. Spying the brothers Baverstock, she takes up a goblet of wine and shifts herself to watch them, resting on one hip with her legs bent to the side, one hand resting on the patch of leather that serves as a seat for the ladies.

"Three hits should be fine," Bryce replies with a confident smile, "to decide the bout." Last adjustments to the shield at his left arm are made by the squire, Carl then running to offer the Baverstock brother opponent assistance if required. While the Lord Knight of Baverstock Manor does a few warm up swings as he waits for Landon to be ready. There is a favor wound about Bryce's right arm, a pendant twined with a red and blue ribbon braid. "Ready when you are," he says, as his smile dims into an expression of attentiveness and appropriate pre-duel tension.

The hock of phlegm at the back of the throat, the wind-up of air whooshing into cheeks and the spit finale - Alecwyn de Salisbury, a young man about the same weight as the smaller Baverstock brother, but perhaps three inches taller - lets loose a glob of yellow spit onto the ground in a rather disgusting display of whatever spring cold sickness is going around this time of the year. A mop of straw-colored hair sits on his head, interspersed with the hay that invariably pokes out. The young man - sixteen years of age to the day, but looking fourteen tops - leans against a rotten wood stump, the remnants of a tree struck by lightning and languidly watches the Baverstock brothers with an arched brow and a lackadaisical smile. He lifts two fingers up in salute to Catryn and her squirette, before batting his goofy baby blues at the girl, before returning his attention to the fight at hand.

In the distance, a dark-helmed knight atop a roan mare rouncy, slight and quick, rides into sight in a storm of dust, before dismounting and unhelming. A dark mop of hair, a callously confident smile on an ivory face with callow good lucks, shining emeralds rimmed in lashes and narrowed in amusement at some perennial joke - Caerwyn nods at Alecwyn but walks up to Catryn instead. "If the Baverstock brothers are fighting, perhaps we should try our steel against each other?" He looks at Bryce first before turning to look expectantly at his twin. His squire, Alecwyn, immediately takes his horse and ties her to the temporary mews set here, letting loose another glob of spit on the dusty floor.

"Or of course, if you cry out for mercy first brother-" he winks at Bryce, checking his blunted blade, which on the hilt there's a ribbon as well - a blue and green one, trimmed with golden embellishments. Landon beckons to Carl, indicating when the squire is over to him, that he help check over the gear and help with the shield. Maile is straightened, belts are secured, shield is hoisted and slid upon his forearm - the heraldry a replica of what Bryce carries, the golden bear. Once completed, Carl gets a hair ruffle as the bear of brothers strides forward toward Bryce, drawing his tourney sword and lofting it in a few practice swings as he shoulders up and flexes his neck back and forth.

Critical Success!
Bryce checked his Awareness at 10, he rolled 10.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 6.
Success
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 2.
Failed.

Signe checked her heraldry of 3, she rolled 14.

Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (1 3 1 1 3) for a total of: (9)

From somewhere on the sidelines, Catryn watches, silent on the side other than a few words murmured to her squire. Anais, for her part, catches sight of the baby blue batting and gives him a coy smile though her attention quickly shifts to the match. Looking to see what her squire was distracted with, a withering glare is cast to the boy. Move along, kid. It does bring her attention to her brother as he approaches. "You would want to challenge me?" Agreeable, she reaches for her helm and shield, slipping one after the other on before taking up her practice sword. "At your ready then, Brother."

Wanting a better view, Signe sets aside her wine and rises, drawing up the skirts of the dress- yes dress- that she wears. Oh, but, wine. She leans over and takes the goblet again before wandering across the grass to stand as near the melee as is safe.

"If you'd like, aye. Then we can fight yonder Baverstocks to the man. A good fight to be had, no doubt." Caerwyn smiles toothily at his sister before looking for his squire. "Alec, the rebated sword. I'd rather not kill my sister needlessly," he says with grim humor. But as he casts his gaze about, he can't help but notice the wraith-like Signe, descending the crest of the hill with wine. He watches a moment longer, appreciatively, before turning to Catryn, "Best of three, like when we were wee ones, yes?" Alecwyn quickly comes over to hand the wooden heater shield and the rebated sword with a dash of ceremonial bowing, obviously for Anais's benefit, as he glances out the corner of his eye for her reaction.

"Cry for mercy?", Bryce echoes with an amused half-chuckle. "Only in your dreams, brother." But likely, such must have occurred in the past! His senses seem to be rather sharp today, as this Baverstock notices the favor on his brother's sword hilt as well as the attentive eyes watching. Noting Catryn first, and the youth spitting out somewhere in her vicinity. Then the arrival of the pompous Burcombe heir, that will elicit a slight lift of Bryce's brow, when he catches that glance of the other knight. "Burcombe…" A thoughtful murmur, that leaves the lips of the older Baverstock before he turns his attention back on his brother, Landon finally done obviously with his preparations. And knowing the strength of his brother, Bryce steels himself for the attack, bringing his sword up, but just a fraction too late. His sword does not manage to breach Landon's defense, while his brother scores his first hit. "Not bad," Bryce comments, taking a step back, before he launches his next attack.

Morag arrives in time to get to see the pending fight between her sister and brother. The Baverstocks are regarded with some interest, but really, it's the fun of watching her siblings have their bout which drew her from the Burcombe tent. Nonetheless, she has her churgeon's satchel because well…you never know.

Critical Fail!
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 20.
Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 6.
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (1 2 1 2 4) for a total of: (10)

Signe's gaze has of course swept the rest of the field, and Burcombe colors catch her eye. Lots of Burcombe colors. She looks back to the field by which she stands, her face a touch more grave, though she can't help the hitch at the corner of her mouth as the imposing Landon lays into his brother. Hitch of her lips? Almost a smile? She'll hide that behind her goblet, which leaves her lips more neutral and stained red.

"I like." Catryn counters, getting all geared up but she does glance towards the brothers, curious about their fighting style. It changed with time and experience so was different than the last tournament. Theoretically of course. Looking where her brother does, she notices Signe also, but the look on her brothers face quickly quells that curiosity as to the woman and the wine. "Oh Caerwyn, you're always looking aren't you?" Anais steals a glance to Alec and a blush heats her cheeks, but she looks back towards the fight, pretending she saw nothing. Catryn ignores the exchange. "First to three, not best of. I want time to do some damage." She's joking, surely. "At your ready," she offers after stepping further afield. It's then she notices Morag, "Sister, you have come to watch! I'm glad to see you." Still, she awaits her brothers approach.

Landon smirks at Bryce, though the two have duelled often in the past, so he knows how his brother moves and has studied him well enough to side step the first blow and land a tap to Bryce's side. He checks his sword again as he allows Bryce the moment to recover, glancing over at the spectators and noticing platinum blond hair sitting just over yonder. He grins and raises a hand toward her, then says across to Bryce, "I've a lady watching me. You know I cannot back down now. Come, let us do this-" he steps in toward Bryce and after a few clattering of swords, he manages to disarm Bryce and steal another solid clack against Bryce's ribcage. But he points at the blade, "Have you been day dreaming about your Lady too much Brother? You seem distracted!"

Failed.
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 18.

Signe glances behind herself- just to be sure- and then lifts her goblet in a salute to Landon. Lowering it, she tips it to lean against her lower lip, a gesture that could almost seem shy. She wraps her free arm about her abdomen, only wincing slightly as the man's second attack against his brother disarms the elder.

"Always looking but not always touching, sister dearest. Love and lust are gifts - one doesn't bestow it on any old bar maid in a mad fit of want and need," Caerwyn says before testing the heft of his blade. It is an old Cymric arming sword, worn down but still beautiful. Knotwork touches up the hilt in elegant sworls of interconnected rings. He lifts it in his right hand, and the shield in his left, before drawing out a line in the dusty ground with the tip of his blade. "Cross and fight, sister." He pauses and then spares a glance at Morag. "Not you. I love you too much to hurt you, Morag. This one, though…" He cants his head at Catryn and clicks his tongue, shrugging his shoulders skeptically.

Failed.
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 14.

Bryce attacks with determination, aware as he is that he needs to take advantage of his agility if he wants to beat his brother - younger by years but taller by stature. And swift he is. But not really expecting Landon to bring his sword forth in such angle that knocks the weapon out of Bryce's hand, the blade flying through the air, and the gaze of the older Baverstock following its flight. An exasperated sigh leaves the knight with the angular features and he moves to reclaim his sword, a swift glance shot in the direction where Caerwyn speaks with his sister Catryn and is about to engage in a challenge as well. Lord knows, what Bryce might think in this very moment, but… for anyone else it will be left to guess.

"Your lady will be pleased," Bryce grumbles, noting the wave of his brother and following his gaze with his towards Signe. His tone is only slightly displeased, as he glances at the lady in question with surprised curiosity. "Her?" That seems to baffle him indeed. "And no. I wasn't." Daydreaming. The next slash of his brother he evades with effortless ease, alas, his own strike does not hit home as well.

Success
Signe checked her awareness of 7, she rolled 6.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 11.
Success
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 12.
Bryce rolls 4d6 and gets (6 3 5 6) for a total of: (20)

"Of course I have!" Morag calls out gaily enough. And then Caerwyn is offering his philosophy on love and life, which sets her to tilting her head back and laughing heartily. "Try not to do too much damage to each other please, it's been a lovely day that I don't want to ruin by having to stitch one of you up or splint a broken bone, aye?"

Success
Landon checked his DEX of 9, he rolled 3.

'Her'? Her indeed! Signe is close enough and attentive enough to hear that brief exchange, and she cannot help a look of disappointment as Landon -doesn't- land a solid blow upon Bryce this time. She schools herself speedily, however, and sweeps a hand back over her brow and through her hair. She's not even wearing her spooky eyes or robe, no sickle hangs at her waist. Hmph.

Success
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 6.

Landon follows the gaze toward the rise where Signe is seated, watching in the corner of his eye Bryce's curiosity, chuckling. He was about to explain when the combat continues and he's forced to concentrate on it rather than talk. He evades one strike and doesn't the other. Erf. The clank of blade signals that he took one from Bryce. "Good hit…" and resets his form.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 1.

Elrick knows that today is another day of challenges and with him arriving in Carlion late, he has a bit of catching up to do. However, the blow he took from Kamron in the day before had him resting for a bit longer today. But the Laverstock Knight makes his appearance for potential challengers, this time in the countryside instead of the tourney grounds. Lacking a squire, Elrick arrives where the group of knights are competing, already wearing his suit of chaimail over the Laverstock surcoat. Sword is still sheathed, shield strapped onto his left arm and helm tucked under his right arm.

"Then the rumors about you aren't true?" Catryn queries in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Without elaborating on it, she shifts her feet from side to side, waiting for an opening, for him to say he was ready. As soon as he says cross and fight, she does, lifting her blade and drawing her shield up for protection and to block in case he counters or manages to parry her attack. "Agreed, Morag, and today is a good day!" she calls out to her sister.

Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 14.

Success
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 12.
Bryce rolls 4d6 and gets (3 2 3 4) for a total of: (12)

Catryn rolls 4d6 and gets (2 6 5 5) for a total of: (18)
Success
Caerwyn checked his dex of 12, he rolled 6.

It seems keeping his focus on the duel at hand is indeed helpful. Bryce manages a good hit, almost bringing Landon off-balance there with his strike, but the taller Baverstock does not fall. "There!", a hint of triumph apparent in his voice, along with a bit of relief, that he has found a way to get his strikes through. And then, another, dealt to Landon as Bryce whirls about him and brings his blade against his brother's other side. "Now, we're even!", he states, dark eyes glinting. "The next strike will decide this."

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 11.
Critical Success!
Bryce checked his Sword at 13, he rolled 13.

Perhaps it is the flourish with which Caerwyn issues his challenge (line drawn in sand - cross and die!) but he is slower on the uptake in bringing his body away from the rapidly advancing Catryn. Instead, he manages to bring his shield up just in time to absorb most of the blow - it cuts dully into his shoulder instead, and might have torn flesh if the swords were sharpened. It nearly staggers him but he recovers admirably enough to not count the hit but return on the offensive with a roar and an upward swing at his twin.

Bryce rolls 8d6 and gets (2 6 5 4 6 2 1 3) for a total of: (29)
Failed.
Landon checked his DEX of 9, he rolled 10.

Success
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 9.
Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 1.
Caerwyn rolls 5d6 and gets (1 1 4 1 6) for a total of: (13)
Success
Catryn checked her dex of 17, she rolled 5.

The match seems to turn in Bryce's favor, in quick succession he has managed two hits to Landon, in a match that looked at first not too promising. The focus remains on how to land that last hit that could make Bryce the winner of this challenge, so any sounds and impressions from other challenges and present onlookers fade to the background, when Bryce de Baverstock performs a feint towards Landon's left side, before his blade is brought against Landon's right leg instead, with momentum that suffices to bring his brother off balance and cause him to fall. Even so, there is concern in Bryce's features as he offers his brother a hand. "Are you alright?" The win, for now uncommented, as it is evident to them both.

Deliberately, Catryn uses an unsharpened sword unlike one of the Bodenham knights. When she strikes and effectively scores a point, she pulls back on it so she doesn't hurt her brother. This time. Still, she's late getting her shield up and he manages to strike her, evening the score of one to one. "Well done, little brother." Looking for an opening, she will take it when and where she can.

Critical Success!
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 15.
Success
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 5.

Landon takes to a knee, catching himself with a hand. Three hits scored against him. He looks up at his elder brother and nods for the win, and tersely replies, "Fine brother." Even if there is a subtle rub to his ribcage, not unlike where Caerwyn hit him once before. "Good win," and then he's making room for others to match their skills against his brother.

Morag winces faintly when Catryn's sword glances off Caerwyn's shoulder. But overall, thus far the priestess doesn't seem too worried about either of her siblings do each other true harm. There's a brief glance at the other bout, a nod and clap for Bryce's victory, and a welcoming nod for Elrick before she returns her attention to the Burcombe pair. Signe seems to be given a respectfully wide berth.

Catryn rolls 8d6 and gets (6 3 1 6 5 1 3 1) for a total of: (26)
Success
Caerwyn checked his dex of 12, he rolled 6.

"It was rather even," Bryce remarks, lifting a brow to the terse acknowledgement of his win. Dark eyes follow Landon as he steps to the side. "In fact, I was rather worried you'd best me." And such a win would be most probably leave more bruises on Bryce than Landon had received just now. He exhales and walks over to where Carl awaits, handing his shield over for inspection of a few new dents.

The duel between the two Baverstock Knights is what catches Elrick's attention first, the two clashing blades rather effectively as hits after hits are exchanged. When Bryce is revealed to be the winner, the Laverstock Knight takes note of the other knight's formidable nature to come claim victory when he was down earlier. Seeing Morag's welcoming nod, Elrick inclines his head in return as greeting as well before his gaze returns to the other duel, the one between Catryn and Caerwyn.

"I'm not so little —" Caerwyn starts to protest, but the hit that Catryn responds with is the kind of hit that unmans people. Literally unmans them - makes them 'not a man', turns them into dead splatters of gore on the side of the Kingsroad. He can barely hold onto this and there is a moment of pure unadulterated fear as he scrambles back to protect himself. He quickly assumes the defensive to regain his confidence against his rather more frightening twin.

Landon tosses the tourney sword down rather harshly, so it bounces, as he takes a seat on a stump. He regards Bryce, then looks to where Signe would have been, then back down to the sword he threw - with that ribbon on it. "Never worry about that brother, you've the better sword…" and he'll stew over his own distractions.

<OOC> Caerwyn says, "Going on defensive. +10 to sword skill, no damage if successful."
Failed.
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 17.
<OOC> Caerwyn says, "Crit success. (20 skill + 5 to score from 25 skill)."
Critical Success!
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 15.

Signe briefly closes her eyes after a wince, Landon's fall apparently not the outcome for which she wished. Nevertheless, though she acknowledges Bryce with a respectful bow of her head should he look her way, it's to landon she then looks. The 'Her?' may be ringing in her ears but she approaches the stump, after a hesitant pause. Once there she offers a smile, one more radiant due to the lack of her usual mien.
"I now see how the claims can be true," she says, voice low but pleasant. "Five saxons dead at your hand and an elder brother almost brought down." She offers her goblet to him, and the wine still within.

Success
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 7.

"Not so little but still my little brother." Catryn lifts her blade and swings it at him, finding his shield and no counter attack. No point, no score. Nothing. With a frown, she swings her blade, trying to catch him off guard and take an opening.

Failed.
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 17.

Success
Bryce checked his Awareness at 10, he rolled 9.

Landon's hand rakes through his hair, the other hand palm down on his thigh, looking rather vexed as he failed once again to show his brother how much he's learned indeed. His elder was still ahead of him in skill. His eyes flash up at Signe, as she's approached him, rising once to his feet to greet her, "I do not share the same zeal of hatred against my brother that I do toward Saxon's." The goblet is gratefully taken, a long gulp made of it, then passed back to her, "It is better that I lost though I feel the sting of it all the same." His eyes flash toward Bryce, "I wanted to show him I could be as good…"

Caerwyn rolls 5d6 and gets (1 5 5 3 4) for a total of: (18)
Success
Catryn checked her dex of 17, she rolled 9.

Signe's chin lifts, her eyes following landon as the tall man rises above her. Once he hands the goblet back, she almost ceremoniously tosses it to lie by the sword. But she looks back to him, her gravity giving way to a flickering smile.
"You did show him," she says. "I've watched my brothers and cousins train. That was fierce. In the ways of old, I would even venture."

Bryce meanwhile does not seem to be oblivious to his brother's displeasure, already used to Landon's temper as he is. But instead of approaching him and making things perhaps worse by addressing him, he lets his brother be. Even more so when he sees Signe walking over to join Landon. The words she addressess to the beaten Baverstock knight has Bryce change his mind. "Indeed," he intones, approaching now the pair at a leisurely pace. "It was against the Saxons, that he slayed five, and I got almost killed. If not for him, I would be dead by now, my lady." Dark eyes shift from Signe to Landon, as his brother assures: "I already know how invaluable you are, in a serious skirmish. This is swordplay, brother. A diversion and playful imitation of what you and I need to do when we have to defend the realm."

It's the polite thing to do, so as she's watching the twins fight, Morag offers tentative conversation to Elrick. "Are you hoping to duel with one of the victors?" she asks aside, though, her attention is still indeed primarily on the duel. "Everyone here is quite fierce."

"On your guard!" Caerwyn shouts, having restored his guard long enough to return on the offensive. There is a certain give and take to his style, more akin to dancing and defense than his sister's all-out aggression. Two-two is the score. Roaman the Dark's firstborn were a pair of twins - full moon and crescent moon. He taught them differently. The heir, Caereyn, despite being bigger, always had a weaker constitution. And as a heir, he always fought to protect. With little left to lose, Catryn was taught to push her boundaries. So it became with these twins. Caerwyn, seeing his opening, pushes for the final touch with his blade at ready - poised high, killer stroke, he flashes it in an arc and proceeds to cut like a barbarian.

Success
Caerwyn checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10.
Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 13.
Catryn rolls 4d6 and gets (3 3 1 2) for a total of: (9)

"My intention was to see who wishes to challenge me or accept a challenge but the bruise on my chest is keeping me from being too… enthusiastic about it." Elrick says to Morag when she approaches with polite conversation, his gaze still focused on the rather epic exchange between Catryn and Caerwyn. "And you are right, the knights here are all quite skilled." The final clash between Caerwyn and Catryn is approaching, the Laverstock now watching in silence to see the outcome of the exchange.

It was anyone's win and Catryn was aware of it. On the defensive, she moves her feet and keeps her shield up for the block. On her guard indeed. Concentrating on her brother's shoulders, not distracted with his words, she waits for him to swing his blade, when would his shoulder indicate his attack? When it comes, her shield takes the blow and she swings her blade in a sideways arc to strike him and score the win. The helm is lifted, assuring herself her brother was fine. Sheathing her blade, she offers her brother her arm for a clasp, "Well fought, Caerwyn, well done."

Landon blinks at the goblet is flung down toward the sword, which, he realizes there's still a ribbon attached to the hilt. His eyes snap up toward Signe, however, as he subtly lowers to reach the sword and untwists the ribbon from it in the palm of his hand to stuff it back into a pouch. No, he didn't just throw it to the ground and leave it there to get all dirty. "Kind of you to say-" he begins but then leaves off when Bryce comes to join them. It seems the Lady's words had taken the ire out of him, further reduced when Bryce makes it a point that the swordplay could not compare to when it really matters. He steps forward to Bryce and puts an arm out to haul the shorter man into a Bear HUG. "I'm sorry brother. It was not chivalrous to grouse about your win. I could only wish to do better when it counts." He smirks as he lets his brother go, "And if I had to lose to anyone, better it be you." The lumbering Baverstock then turns to Signe, "Uh, this is Lady Signe Steeple-Langford, brother, and my Lady Signe, this is Sir Bryce Baverstock - if you haven't already met." He checks that then, with a look between them.

Signe shifts her bright eyes- a crystal green rather than the saturated emerald or milky jade- and lands them on Bryce before once again offering him a respectful nod. Her temper seems soothed by the respect that the elder shows the younger. "I wish that I had seen it— the saxon slaughter. It would be thrilling to see him in a vital fight. Though of course I cannot wish any danger upon him. I have never seen any real battle at all, but would not make light of the danger of death."

Meanwhile she glances at the removal and stowing of the favor, though her features betray nothing of how she feels— merely a glance upward into the younger Baverstock's eyes, fleeting.

The blow that seals the win for Catryn is a bare brush - just inside his guard and briefly touching his armored chest - but Caerwyn flinches violently, half-expecting the blade to skewer him wholesale. He has never faced his sister truly and when she cuts him down with a love tap, he deflates, backing up and letting his guard drop completely, as if in surrender. The crueler Burcombe twin, no doubt, had demanded of the milder one in the past, as children. He clears his throat and peers at Cat before nodding slowly. "Yes. Well done. I tried my best but—" Caerwyn shrugs his shoulders helplessly. "The result was not a surprise. You are my sister and a goddess of war." A thin sheen of sweat anoints his skin, and he hands his sword and shield to Alecwyn "I joust this famous Christian knight today. You will wish me luck, I hope?" A glance at Morag. "Both of you?"

Morag seems about to offer another comment to Elrick, but then the fight is over. With a little cry of delight, Morag dashes into the pair's combat one, first to embrace Catryn, and then Caerwyn. Offering her assurances that she gives him the best of luck, she'll then stroll back over to Cat. "What next?" she asks. "You're doing so well. The streak ought to continue!"

Bryce smiles when he is suddenly caught in Landon's strong arms and returns the hug. "I was actually surprised I managed to win against you," he admits in a murmur, offered not too far away from his brother's ear. "You are a capable knight, and I'm glad I can rely on your strength should it be required.", is said at a louder volume, when Bryce lets go of Landon and takes a step backwards, turning just so as to regard the blonde woman. "Lady Signe," he greets politely. "We have met before. In fact, her brother, Kenrick, squired for our uncle Patric.", this said in an aside to Landon. To Signe Bryce adds: "Beware of what you wish, my lady. Battle isn't for anyone, least of all the faint of heart."

When her brother steps back, Catryn regards him not with a cool expression, but a calculating one. "You fought well Caerwyn." The words given after some length. "I do wish you luck in the joust, I have been eliminated from that particular event." When he begs off to return to Carlion, she looks at her sister first, a solemn nod given her but there is a hint of warmth that was lacking even for her twin. "Morag," she greets, returning the embrace, a kiss to her younger sisters brow. "I think another challenge then." Her attention drifts over the Laverstock and Baverstock, an arched brow to Signe. Two rival houses represented here. An arm still around her sister, she looks towards them. "Would you challenge me?" Directing the question to the brothers, letting them decide between themselves who would.

When Catryn claims her victory over Caerwyn, Elrick politely applauds her efforts and the outcome, his eyes watching as Morag runs to shower the two knights with affection and congratulations. "Well fought, Sir Catryn, well fought." When she issues a challenge to the two Baverstocks though, he waits for an answer, perhaps willing to challenge the one that isn't picked. However, before that can be done, a young page appears at the country side and runs to the Laverstock Knight with a message. With the brief words delivered, Elrick looks to the others, "Well, it appears that it is time for my Joust. Best of luck to those who will be dueling."

Bryce turns and regards Catryn as she issues the challenge in their direction. "Sir Catryn, you've bested me a the Winter Tourney in Sarum. As much as I would like a revanche… It shall not be now." His tone is cool, yet polite, dark eyes assessing her while he declines her challenge.

Landon glances at Signe for her wish of having seen him battle, "I reckon if this duel was of any hint, that I'd be distracted and not live up to my zeal for your appearance nearby." He is polite at least, not as smooth as he could be, but it was an attempt. A distraction, perhaps. For the hug of his brother, he claps Bryce on the shoulder, peering between the two at the acknowledgement that they had met before, "Ahh. Good. I wasn't sure if you had, but you did travel a lot more than I brother, as with Uncle Patric." Then there's the Burcombe, rising the challenge to them. At hearing the fact that Bryce had been bested by her at Sarum, he shoves forward, "I will do it."

Signe's smile might be of the very faint blushing variety as Landon claims her a distraction, though without the blush, her eyes looking to Landon's face before dropping lower to his chest, eyelevel. "I am many things, but I am sure faint of heart is not one of them," Signe replies then to Bryce, cordially. As Catryn issues the challenge and Bryce declines, she also turns to look, over her shoulder. There's a faint steeling of her form which may only be perceptible to those at her side. She seems a touch surprised as Landon moves forward, but she reaches suddenly, laying a hand on his arm. His sword is bare now, and she reaches within her sleeve, then draws forth a braid of gold, white and black.

Morag can't help but grin as Cat issues her challenge to the brothers. There's another quick squeeze as she watches Signe accord her favor to Landon, and a brief glance is given sidelong to her sister. Catryn is wearing the favor gifted to her by her betrothed, and rightly so. "Best of luck, and Danu's blessing." she murmurs to the elder, and with that, Morag makes her way over to those intending to watch, offering a civil nod first to Landon as he prepares, and to those gathered.

With her arm around her sister, Catryn looks to the Laverstock at the congratulations, "Thank you, sir." Quite solemn indeed. "I wish you luck in your.." realizing he was leaving for the joust, she smoothly changes it from challenges to "Joust." As Bryce turns to her, she thinks he is about to accept, but his decline is met with a twitch of her lips. "Another time then." Leaving it at that, the usual scoffing look absent. The agreement coming from the other Baverstock does bring another slightly mocking look to her expression. "Are you certain you're ready to face me again?" There's something there, a history of something referenced. The usual cruel twist of her lips, like the scoffing, is absent. "Thank you," she draws her attention from the brothers to her sister and brushes her lips over her forehead once more. Once her sister is safely on the side, she draws her sword and faces Landon, "At your ready, Sir."

"Fine." A smile tugs at the corner of the Lord Knight's lips when Landon steps in to accept the Burcombe's challenge, Bryce leaning into him for a murmured warning, "but beware, she's rather skilled." In comparison to one Bryce de Baverstock. Still, he seems content to stay where he is, his arms crossing before him after ushering Carl to help Landon prepare as needed. The other favor offered by Lady Signe draws a curious glance from Bryce, a faint smirk curving his lips as he shakes his head ever so slightly in obvious amusement. Catryn's remark towards Landon takes him by surprise though. A questioning glance there, from older to younger Baverstock brother.

Landon pauses at the hand going to his arm, looking back over at Signe for the gesture to keep him from a challenge. He blinks as he notices a the braided ribbon drawing forth to be offered. He pivots to meet the gesture with his hand curling around the object, looking between it and her. Lips pull up in a curled smile that flashes some teeth underneath, as he leans forward to place a kiss upon the woman's cheek - a silent gesture as he threads the ribbon around his fingers. He whispers something to her, then marks the reaction of the Burcombes. An aside to Bryce, "As am I brother." Then, to Catryn: "I've looked forward to the moment I could, Sir Catryn-" the glint of history shared as him give a final squeeze of his hand to Signe's own as the ribbon is fastened to the hilt of his sword. He'll make a brief nod to Catryn and her family before he draws his blade, heading into the space provided for the duels. If Bryce was hoping to get an answer, he doesn't, for the moment, receive it.

Smiling at the whisper, Signe then inclines her head to Landon. "Gods blessings," she says, refraining from anything more specific than that for what may be obvious reasons, and drawing her hand away to watch him go.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 12.

In silence, Catryn watches the exchange, the gesture with the ribbon, the romance of it all. And for a moment, one corner of her lips twists upwards in that familiar cruel smile that just seems to appear whenever he is near. Of course it's enhanced by the slight mocking in her green eyes as she watches him approach, blade drawn. Ready for the interaction, the challenge to begin, she also doesn't offer Bryce any sort of explanation. Nor does she spare another look to the woman Landon had kissed. Her focus is solely on the Baverstock as he approaches, and when he swings, she will lift her sword in hopes of countering as she blocks.

Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 9.
Landon rolls 5d6 and gets (1 2 1 6 6) for a total of: (16)
Success
Catryn checked her dex of 17, she rolled 10.

Landon's features set to a deep scowl in reaction to the sneer that Catryn wears - he knows exactly why she wears it too! The two rivals start to turn around eachother, feral steps taken to mark the other's weakness. Then his sword comes at her. She will parry a lot of them, the clatter of their blows sounding rather hard for tourney swords. Left right, up down, the Baverstock hacks and hacks, swinging his sword to cleave up, to thrust down, to tempt her defenses to open. And when her form does open, he takes the opportunity to bring his blunted sword in to thrust toward her abdomen, in a clear touch that has him stepping back to give her room to reset for the next series of sword swings.

Nothing like the dancing of steel, the sounds of the challenges, the cheers and jeers in the background. The latter of which the Burcombe is used to. Each clash a parry, each bash, deflected until she overextends herself and his sword reaches in to connect. It's not hard enough to bring her down, but it's a point. To her rival. Knocked back a few steps, Catryn centers herself, forces herself to focus as she inclines her head in silent acknowledgement of the point to him. Not giving up, she stays in the dance, arcing her blade, seeking purchase against his armor, staying in it as long as it takes.

Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 4.
Failed.
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 16.
Catryn rolls 4d6 and gets (6 2 4 6) for a total of: (18)
Success
Landon checked his DEX of 9, he rolled 3.

The fight continues, the determination in the Burcombe realized. Landon grunts as he feels the tip of her blade get through his defenses, not enough to do any damage but it does set him off balance a foot step. Her tourney blade clank with the point won. He shakes his head at that, flipping his blade side to side as he takes a step backward to regain his composure. He comes at her again with the means to take another point back, though the match is clearly on equal footing.

Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 1.
Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 7.
Catryn rolls 4d6 and gets (4 2 1 2) for a total of: (9)

Ah, apparent rivals. Signe can empathize with at least some shred of what Landon might be feeling, in part because she can be assured were it her brother, there'd be a similar exchange of avarice. She has made her way closer to watch, so close that the knight overseeing politely guides her back a few steps. She stands where she is placed, her attention never leaving the combatants, and her lips just barely parted. Her reactions to both Landon's strike and then the Burcombe's are muted.
The tide turns, and she rises on her toes.

"Rally, Cat! You can do it!" There's no animosity toward Catryn's opponent, but Morag is assuredly enthused when it comes to supporting the prospect of her sister's possible victory. Is it poor form to cheer for one's favorite? If so, Morag doesn't care.

With her blade held slightly out, her shield maneuvered for the more advantageous area, Catryn continues the fight, for sport or for pride, either was possible at the moment. The Burcombe had more than her fair share of pride. As he makes the swing, the shield is in place and she cuts a diagonal across his shoulder, scoring her second point. It was too close. Too, too close. She hurriedly steps back catches her balance and squares up, prepared for the next strike.

Failed.
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 17.
Failed.
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 18.
Success
Landon checked his Sword of 15, he rolled 3.
Success
Catryn checked her sword of 15, she rolled 7.
Catryn rolls 4d6 and gets (5 5 3 6) for a total of: (19)
Failed.
Landon checked his DEX of 9, he rolled 13.

Failed.
Catryn checked her merciful of 4, she rolled 5.
Success
Catryn checked her cruel of 16, she rolled 6.

Hearing her sister encourages Catryn and she narrows her gaze on Landon, focusing completely on him. Was that a favoring of one leg? Would she use it to her advantage? You bet she would. When he swings his blade, she counters, bringing it down to his leg, her shield lifted in time on her other arm to deflect the blow and as she makes contact, the point is hers, and she hesitates, her blade poised over his chest once he falls. "Some people never learn." The words spoken with deliberate precision. Lips twist in a sneer before she withdraws her blade and steps back, sheathing her sword and offering her sword hand as she speaks louder so everyone else can hear, though there's a derisive look in her eyes. "Well fought, Sir Landon."

Success
Landon checked his Vengeful of 16, he rolled 3.

The same leg that Bryce whacked earlier - indeed it was. Catryn's swing goes there and Landon leaves his defense of that leg open, unable to swing his shield around in time to block it, and like the last duel, he goes down on a knee when it's hit with such force that it buckles his knee. He grunts as the third point is scored against him, shame coming over him as he looks down at the ground at the hissing and cheering. His neck starts to splotch with colour as Catryn's words snip at him. Yet, the blue and hazel eyes sharpen with something other than shame, anger. As she makes a good show for the rest of the audience by declaring a fight well fought and offering her hand, he stands while brushing her hand aside, "I don't need assistance, least of all from you Burcombe." He squares his shoulders and turns from her, seemingly done with the personal challenges this day as he stalks off. Enough humiliation for one day.

Catryn had expected the brush off, but with the words offered from her for the surrounding people to hear, they only see him brushing off chivalry. A smile plays over her lips, "Poor Baverstock," she murmurs as he storms off. Taking her hand back, she looks towards her sister and the smile turns more genuine. "My good luck charm, I almost would swear you're casting incantations." Of course the words are given only for her to hear and she lifts a gloved hand and tugs a lock of her sister's hair. "Thank you, love."

Morag lets out a soft snort at the display of poor sportsmanship, but otherwise broadly smiles. "Well done, Sir Catryn!" she calls out to the eldest Burcombe. Whatever's murmured lowly warrants a chuckle. "Leave an offering at Danu's shrine once we're home." she instructs Catryn, not altogether solemnly and then, "You're welcome. Always." With another polite nod to those present, she queries of Cat, "Shall we?"

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License