(514-05-18) A Long Day Of Jousting
Summary: This is the joust log for various characters!
Date: 05-18-514
Related: Other Joust logs
idris seriol tria perin aeryn cerys rhaine john dywana lysanor amalthea bran bradwyn fayne edwyn glaw dillion uwain 


It is a day of jousting, of tourneying. This is the day that every single young and aspiring knight looks forward to, for who knows what riches you can get right away from an upset win at the lists? On the challenger's side, the young knight of Bodenham is atop his horse, the reins in one hand as he is outfitted with his shield by his squire, who wraps the strap tightly around his arm. Idris then receives his lance and gets ready for his joust, drawing in air and concentrating on the task ahead. It's not going to be easy.

On the other, a grizzled knight with some scars and a dreadful crest for a coat-of-arms. He barks orders at his squire as the young man outfits the knight, the man confidently holding his lance.

On the sidelines, is the official, carrying the flags he needs to marshal the tournament.

The Bodenham knight does a bit of prayer before engaging in this contest.

On the sidelines, ready to watch the jousting event, a red head stands wearing a commoners dress. Her hair is left down around her face and tumbles over her shoulders, the very light breeze ruffling it. As the riders, one after another, take the list and joust one another, she quietly watches. When the Bodenham knight is noticed, a smile curves her lips and she awaits his tilt.

Success
You make a check for Notable Knight Lance at 16, you rolled 8.
Success
Idris checked his lance of 15, he rolled 11.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (6 5 1 4 4 4) for a total of: (24)
Critical Fail!
You make a check for Notable Knight Horsemanship at 16, you rolled 20.

The charge is made; the Bodenham knight charges, he lets out an angry shout as the horse gallops ever closer to his target. Idris' blue eyes find the other man's midriff, as though trying to predict the man's motions while trying to make sure his own strikes true. Opting to twist his torso at the first advantage he has, his shield bashes against the lance of the opponent before he thrusts his own forward, at the man's midsection.

The opponent, the grizzled knight, tries to strike at the Bodenham's shoulder, in a clear attempt to throw him off the horse and not have to deal with the shield on the other side. Unfortunately for him, his opponent is just a little faster, applies his blow just a little harder, and his balance is struck — the man ends up falling to the side from the horse, dragged a few meters before the black mare he was riding could be stopped: this joust has a clear winner, and that is not him.

Of note, also, is that the Bodenham has a length of thin rope wrapped around his wrist, even over the chainmail armor he wears, very proudly.

Still on the sidelines, Tria watches and as soon as the victor is obvious, she bounces once on her feet, applauding. She doesn't call out, not wanting to draw attention to herself or the noble, but she does cheer him on as exuberantly as she can.

Doing the cursory lap around the list in the aftermath of his victory, the rather surprised Idris spots the redhead applauding on the sidelines. Quietly, he removes his helmet, meets her gaze and flashes her a grin, his finger tapping on the piece of thin rope as he rides away to let the new round of jousters fight their own matches.

As many others, Perin is amongst the tilt lists, anxsious and awaiting his call. Any exchange between himself and Aeryn has been done, she's following protocol to be at her appointed tilt just the same. He has her with him in his own way. He gets to his horse, watching those who are before him as he waits quietly, the token taken from the location it is tucked at his belt, a kiss given to it.

Upon her charger already, Aeryn watches the Bodenham knight so successfully unhorse the fellow knight. "That will require a ransom." A look is given to her squire and she selects her lance before taking her place at the end of the list. Leaning forward, she lifts her free hand to her chest, just below her neck where her favor rests, too precious to let show outside her armor. Once she has touched it she takes the reins and salutes with her lance before waiting for the return salute. When it comes, she leans forward and spurs her horse forward, intent on at least putting on a good show.

Success
Aeryn checked her lance of 15, she rolled 11.
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, he rolled 5.
Aeryn rolls 6d6 and gets (6 3 5 6 2 4) for a total of: (26)
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Horsemanship at 18, he rolled 12.

Tria catches that gesture and she offers a wink to the Bodenham knight before he rides away to allow the next round of knights to make their passes.

The old knight is evidently past his prime. His shield's coat of arms is slightly tattered, having seen its fair share of days. The armor is pristine, but it may have been made just for the occasion. After some remark from his squire, he lets out a jolly laugh before he is told to charge forward, the flag raised and then fallen. And charge forward he does, ready to tilt at Aeryn.

Cerys de Tisbury, the ginger beauty of Salisbury, thrusts through the crowd just to be in the front line and see everything, what is happening on the tournament ground. A huge smile and amusement in thes egreen eyes decorates her freckled features, and she does not forget to clap for what she likes and quietly 'boooo' to what she doesn't like. She choses her fvaorites, and pouts each time someone else wins. The lady's of Tisbury emotions basically blends in with the whole audience.

A pass is made on the list, Aeryn makes contact, but the knight doesn't fall. She takes a deep breath, looking towards the end where the older knight is, and she salutes once more before tucking the lance against herself, spurring her horse into action and riding hard, aiming towards the shoulder to try and unhorse him.

Success
Aeryn checked her lance of 15, she rolled 1.
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, he rolled 13.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (5 5 5 3 4 1) for a total of: (23)
Success
Aeryn checked her horsemanship of 15, she rolled 10.

The old knight's balance was certainly struck when Aeryn hit him. He wobbles, but the old geezer is a hard cookie to break. Stubborn as a mule, he does the lap in the pass and grabs another lance from his squire, saluting the younger knight as the horse gallops towards her. This time, however, he deflects the attack with his shield, turning his torso just so in order to strike her at the midriff.

Success
Perin checked his recognize of 3, he rolled 2.

On his horse, Perin still awaits the knights before him. He hears a few ohs and ahs from another of the tilts and turns to look. Noticing the shield, he knows who it is. Seeing her hit, he watches a moment longer, a silent prayer offered for her safety.

Struck and pretty hard at that, Aeryn somehow manages to remain in her saddle. Turning at the end, she studies the old knight a moment before tucking her lance against herself once more, nice and tight, and leaning forward to give as small a target as possible. Spurring on her horse, she aims once more for the same place as before.

Critical Fail!
Aeryn checked her lance of 15, she rolled 20.
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, he rolled 10.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (2 1 5 1 6 4) for a total of: (19)
Success
Aeryn checked her horsemanship of 15, she rolled 9.

But the old knight is not the type that gives up easily, either. The bearded man grits his teeth, apparently taking advantage of the fact that Aeryn's lance not only has struck his shield but also shattered in the impact with a resounding noise to lunge his own weapon at her shoulder in the pass, the horse's power to increase the force of the blow before he rides away.

Riding hard, Aeryn places the lance just… where.. she wants it. When it splinters, shattering, the crowd cheers and she looks surprised. At the end of the list she shrugs her shoulders, hit from the older mans lance, she's sore. Still, she looks to her squire, offering the spent lance, or the remains of it, and receives another in return. Beth stares at her knight in awe, but Aeryn is already turning and lining up for the next pass, new lance tucked against her, riding hard for the older knight.

Success
Aeryn checked her lance of 15, she rolled 2.
Bran arrives from the Market Square.
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, he rolled 14.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (5 5 2 5 3 6) for a total of: (26)
Failed.
Aeryn checked her horsemanship of 15, she rolled 16.

This knight may be old, but he is a veteran. Many suns and moons has he seen, many jousts, as well, perhaps. He recognizes the opponent on the other side of the lists as worthy of respect, so he touches his helmet in a salute to her before charging. Then, when the time comes, the lance darts forward and slams at Aeryn in a strike, just as hers is parried by his shield. Enough to unhorse the knight, but what a good show it was.

With the older knight waiting for her, more experienced and certainly stronger, Aeryn rides, fearlessly, Her lance strikes, but it's a glancing blow as the older knight, finally, on the fourth pass, makes firm contact with his lance, pushing her up and backwards off her saddle where she lands on her back with a soft thud. "Oomph," she sounds as she lands. For a moment, she remains there as her squire hurriedly gathers her horse and lance, but soon she sits up, waves towards the judges area to let them know she was fine then gingerly makes her way to her feet so she can clear the list to make way for the next rider. Perin.

Aeryn adds to the knight that bested her, a respectful nod and a salute.

Perin stays focused through Aeryn's joust, and he sees when she is finally hit and unhorsed by her competitor. A cringe himself even, and he watches. Only to see that she gets up, any other place he might go to her side. But this is the lists, there is protocol to follow. She has her squire on hand, who is duty bound to be the one there to help with her. Even before he can dwell on it, things are in order, some squires deal with the dirt to smooth the earh some and he's up to tilt. Then he moves to his and, saluting the other and waiting. Once his competitor is ready, he spurs his horse and charges with lance.

Success
Perin checked his lance of 15, he rolled 3.
Success
Idris makes a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, he rolled 5.

The opponent on the other side of the lists for Perin is also an old man, but unlike the previous one, the victor of the fight against Aeryn, this one doesn't seem to be quite as good a sport. He scowls when he sees his opponent, spurring his horse into motion and charging right back at the younger knight.

Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (1 1 4 3 1 2) for a total of: (12)
Failed.
Perin checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 16.

There is a slight pause form Perin, did that man just scowl. That moment of hesitation costs him as he tries to lean back into the tilt itself. But he is too slow, he gets his lance squared away but not fully set for a good center of impact, just as he feels the lance push against him. Over the horse he goes. Bren comes out to help him up, and see to him. But Perin shakes it off, lifting a hand, he's okay. A nod and salute to the old grumpy knight, whether he does the same or not, then Perin moves off field to make way for the next bout.

Armed and armored with her squire, lances, and charger all present and ready Rhaine waits for it to be her turn. The matches are watched with interest and in Perin's case a bit of sympathy. The tiny blonde knight is doing her best to remain patient but she looks extremely determined. When its her turn she puts on her helmet and mounts her dappled grey and white horse. Her squire Ana offers up a lance and off she trots to meet her own challenge.

The grumpy old knight does salute, but it's a bit of a stilted motion as he rides out, raising the broken lance in the air. He barks some orders to his squire who appears to veritable tremble in his boots, as he rides out of the lists.

Having been done with the joust, Idris seizes an apple from a nearby vendor, tossing the man a copper as he joins the people in the sidelines. The knight stands beside Tria as he watches the next round of competitors. He espies Rhaine and his lips curve into a grin as he salutes her.

Once the opponents have cleared the list John de Bodenham rides up as called, adjusting in the stirrups before he raises his lance in salute to Rhaine. Once ready he will be baring down on her, lance lowered an aimed.

Bran eventually makes his way to the tourney grounds and manages to find one of his brothers standing in attendance to watch the competition. "Do you have as much confidence in John as I do?" he asks as he comes to stand beside Idris, glancing to one side at his younger sibling. "Have I missed anything exciting? I didn't hear any overly enthusiastic cheers while making my way here so I assume not." the eldest Bodenham lifts his shoulders in a shrug and turns his attention toward the joust about to begin.

Success
John checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 9.

Somewhere in the crowd is the tiny form of Dywana, she has been here to watch the jousts off and on… when not hiding out in open air.. really all the people! The priestess is dressed in a day gown of soft blues, which is sleeveless but covered by the taletale blue cloak of which the St. James female twin is know.

Tria looks up to Idris, "You did good, noble, it looks as if you're going to get a ransom from the other knight." There's a playful smile she wears and as she looks towards Rhaine, then back to Idris, she winks. "See, that's more like it, someone worthy your pursuit."

Rhaine catches the look from Idris and inclines her head in his direction as she rides past. There may even be a tiny smile offered to the man but its hard to catch. She rides into position and then the little knight waits for whoever is facing to ride up and be ready. She waits her dappled mare pawing at the ground as ready to charge as her rider. Rhaine watches through the visor of her helmet her blue eyes narrowed in pure determination. Once her opponet is on the field she will offer a salute and ready herself for the charge.

Success
Rhaine checked her lance of 15, she rolled 7.
John rolls 5d6 and gets (3 4 2 2 1) for a total of: (12)
Success
Rhaine checked her Horsemanship of 10, she rolled 1.

"I defeated a veteran knight," Idris replies to his brother, Bran, smirking as the man mentions the lack of overly enthusiastic cheers. "It is just the first round of the joust. The second and final rounds will certainly prove to attract the crowd's attention, as they define who the winners are in any given matching," he explains to the Bodenham vassal knight. Tria's compliment and smile is mirrored in his own, her remarks prompting him to laugh before he murmurs something to her.

Once his armor is off and his squire takes it back to their tent, Perin will seek out Aeryn. He fell himself, but his worry for her of course. There will proably be some unchaste hugging, and hand touches even, on his part at least. "I'd say stay and watch the competition, but I think we have time to focus on other things now. I'm sorry you were unhorsed." He will lead them away from the activities though. If she is willing.

John slams his lance home upon the pass, using his shield to kock away his opponents attempt. As he wheels around he sees the diminutive knight still on. A chuckle nay heard in the helm is given as he moves to reset. "Again?" calls the griffin knoght to Rhaine as he gets into place, before spurring into the charge.

Tria smiles at Idris. "Time for me to go do my archery. Good luck in the remainder of the tournament." Placing a hand on his arm she winks before slowly lets it slide off and she heads off for the archery competition.

Rhaine is hit but she stays in her saddle riding past with narrowed eyes. She regards John's single word question with a nod. However she says nothing just waits for him to be ready and then charges forward once again. She may be little but she makes up for it with stubbornness and maybe even a bit of skill.

"I seem to recall how jousting and tournies work." Bran responds in a dry tone. He looks past Idris for a moment, staring at Tria. But then the sound of charging horses and crashing weapons draws his attention and he turns to watch John and Rhaine make their first pass. His response? A low grunt. Perhaps some mild disappointment that his brother's opponent remains upon her horse. "But good. I should probably go prepare for my own run. I'll see you shortly." there's a moment he may be about to brag about his chance of victory but in the end he refrains and simply walks away without saying anything else. Quite the conversationalist.

Success
John checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 14.
Success
Rhaine checked her lance of 15, she rolled 14.

Rhaine is hit but she stays in her saddle riding past with narrowed eyes. She regards John's single word question with a nod. However she says nothing just waits for him to be ready and then charges forward once again. She may be little but she makes up for it with stubbornness and maybe even a bit of skill.

"I thought you hadn't been around the tourney grounds for awhile, what with your new marriage and everything else." Idris remarks dryly to his eldest brother, looking towards Tria as she departs, the corner of his lips twitching slightly up as she departs. "Adequate," he says, of John's first pass against Rhaine. He has nothing to say regarding his own, after all. "You will do well, Bran, I am sure of it," that is the youngest Bodenham brother's way to say good luck, it seems.

Success
Rhaine checked her lance of 15, she rolled 1.
Critical Fail!
John checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 20.
Rhaine rolls 6d6 and gets (3 2 6 2 2 5) for a total of: (20)
Success
John checked his Horsemanship of 10, he rolled 6.

On the second pass, John's lance breaks against his opponent's shield with a resounding crack, leaving him open for a shuddering blow, that manages to somehow not unseat the knight. clenching his reigns. John wheels around, his arm out for another lance, which his squire is quick to have at the ready. Once set, the Bodenham is busy cursing in his helm, before setting to charge Rhaine again.

Success
John checked his Lance of 15, he rolled 10.

Rhaine smirks from underneath her helmet as her lance finds its mark. It strikes rather hard against John's shield but its not enough to unseat the man. Rhaine turns her horse about and prepares for another charge. Her lance is lowered and she readies herself trying to land another hit.

Success
Rhaine checked her lance of 15, she rolled 7.
John rolls 5d6 and gets (6 5 5 4 4) for a total of: (24)
John rolls 1d6 and gets (4) for a total of: (4)

The next hit is too much for Rhaine to stay balanced she goes flying out of her saddle and lands a few fet away on the ground. A muffled groan is heard from her helmet. And then she struggles to her feet muttering extremely unladylike curses about overly large males under her breath. Her helmet comes off and her squire retrieves her horse. The tiny knight stares down John as she turns on her heel and stalks from the field squire and horse following behind her. Next time that man is going down!

After leaving his brother's side, Bran moves off to get prepared for his turn at the joust. Rather, his squires do much of the work of getting him suited up in the heavy and bulky tournament armor and then help him up onto his horse. His armor bares both the heraldry of the Bodenham family and also a smaller and less prominent raven. Bran is calm and outwardly confident in the competition to come. Once John unseats the much smaller female knight, Bran prepares to get in position for his run.

It seems like the Bodenham brothers are all on the lists. Idris applauds John's victory, since it is his older brother who won, after all, though he beckons for Rhaine to approach him with a grin. He hoots when Bran comes to the lists, looking towards who might be his brother's opponent.

The opponent of the eldest Bodenham is… a pretty average Knight. His shield looks pristine, his chainmail has seen some use but not much. The man picks up a lance from his squire as he trots towards the lists, nodding to a woman who might be either his sister or his wife.

Even though he unseated Rhaine, John is at least polite enough to give her salute, taking note of her Heraldry to find her later. "Well done!" He says in response as he goes to check over his gear and clear the field

Newest to the gathering of onlookers in the cheer section is Amalthea de Dinton, stablemaster and joust enthusiast, or so it seems. Probably, she's here to cheer on the horses! Whatever the case, she arrives bundled in a plain brown cloak and looking as exuberantly happy as ever to be out and about. As per usual, she smells a bit like the stables and hay, of which there might be an errant bit or two stuck in her dark cable of a braid.

Rhaine pauses as Idris beckons her over. She looks wary but she does approach coming to stand beside him and sparing him an uncertain glance. "Yes Sir Idris? If you are going to mock me or my height then I'm afarid will have to fight you again." Her tone is even but there is a clipped and almost pained sound to it. She hates losing and it shows.

Bran looks down the field toward his opponent, noting the state of his armor and apparent size. He salutes crisply and couches his lance, ready to charge toward his friendly foe and knock him off his horse. Hopefully, at least! He waits, more tense now than patient, wound up and ready to explode forward with his steed to show his prowess or be horribly embarrassed.

Approaching the field, already in his chainmail, shield and lance carried in one hand, sword at his hip as he leads his charger by the reigns. Standing at an impressive six feet, Bradwyn stands among those waiting to compete, strikingly blue eyes scanning the crowd, the other knights, and then settling on those currently facing off.

"It was a good joust, Sir Rhaine," Idris tells her, rubbing his chin thoughtfully as he reaches out to pick a slight splinter of lance from her cheek. "But I wouldn't mind fighting you again if that's what you want." What he has to say next is murmured as he grins to the blonde.

In the cheering crowd, Lysanor stands amongst her family, feeling that excitement and energy which comes with these tournament events. Despite not everyone coming out on top or being the winner, the spirits of those participating and even those simply viewing or cheering for their family and friends, are lifted. Standing close to her cousin, Amalthea, the auburn-haired Dinton claps with a subtle level of excitement at the results of the match just previous. "I do love a good joust." She comments to her cousin. "It's disappointing, however, that Sir Rhaine did not fair better. She did unhorse our cousin, Sir Dalan, after all at one point."

Failed.
Bran checked his lance of 15, he rolled 19.
Success
Idris makes a check for Average Knight Lance at 15, he rolled 10.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (1 3 5 1 1 2) for a total of: (13)

The unremarkable knight riding against Bran charges forward, hoping to strike the man. And he does, indeed, letting the other's lance sail past him before a quick thrust of his lance tags the Bodenham on the side in this first pass.

Coming onto the field is a rather tall broody figure. Sir Fayne looks like he would rather be anywhere but here despite his squires obvious excitement. Clad in darkened steel armor the Stapleford knight is clearly here to joust and he takes his place off to one side waitning to see when and if he will have his turn. His expression is rather moody as he watches the current match while his squire is tending to the large black charger that is Fayne's horse.

"Did she?" Amalthea muses to Lysanor, one of her dark browns winging upwards on her forehead. "That /is/ impressive. She handled her mount quite well," the woman adds with a nod of resounding approval. She tips her chin in the direction of Rhaine, and consequently, Idris. "The gentleman with her, I met his sister Lady Bronwen last night at the tavern. She has a beautiful voice! She mentioned that you were one of her dearest friends," Thea explains with a smile, though neglects to mention how she came to find this out.

Bran's first pass is as unremarkable as his opponent. Maybe he's rusty. His thrust misses and he takes a solid blow from his opponent, though he manages to keep his horse and stay upright in the saddle. The Bodenham is a solid sort and seems no worse for the wear. As he reaches the end of the field, he wheels his mount around and prepares for a second charge, securing his lance and lowering it as he begins the run toward the knight across from him.

Critical Fail!
Bran checked his lance of 15, he rolled 20.
Failed.
Idris makes a check for Average Knight Lance at 15, he rolled 19.

Apparently it's a lucky pass for Bran. While his lance might have shattered before impact, the opponent's quite didn't hit their mark, as a result, it is a technical tie at the sceond pass before they re-equip and try again. And the opponent will, charging forward towards Bran as soon as the marshals allow him.

Rhaine eyes widen and her cheeks color a light pink at whatever Idris said to her. Still she scowls faintly and tries to muster a glare for the man…but its hard. "You make me want to fight you." She says before leaning in a bit to whisper something back.

This is going poorly for him. Bran shatters his lance and holds a hand out toward his squire to accept another one. He does so with outward patience but inner and hidden rage at his terrible showing. Once he has his lance in place, he wheels about and charges once more toward the average and equally unimpressive knight.

Failed.
Bran checked his lance of 15, he rolled 18.
Success
Idris makes a check for Average Knight at 15, he rolled 7.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (1 2 3 6 5 6) for a total of: (23)
Success
Bran checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 9.

"Oh yes, I simply adore Lady Bronwen." Lysanor says, her voice filled with elation. "She is both beautiful, confident and yes, her singing voice is just as lovely." Her eyes never leave the field now even as she converses with Amalthea. "I have met her brother as well. He had beaten two Burcombes in a duel one when we were still back in Sarum. I'm sure that he will fare very well here in these tournament events." Her eyes on the current opponents, she then inquires out loud, "I think that that one," She points to Bran, "May be one of Lady Bronwen's brothers too. I don't know her family all that well, but I know of them and have seen them in her company often enough."

Even if it goes poorly for Bran, the Average Knight still hasn't able to attain much success. The lance hits its intended target, but it isn't enough to knock the Bodenham off his horse yet. So another tilt, another chance.

A third miss and a second blow taken from his opponent, this one more forceful than the last. Bran rocks back as the lance strikes but manages to hold on tightly and maintain his balance enough to avoid flying out of the saddle. Fortunate, but Bran's ire is rising exponentially beneath the concealing barrier of his helm. This simply will not do. He wheels about and charges immediately, lance lowering slowly as he nears his opponent and bears down upon the other knight.

Failed.
Bran checked his lance of 15, he rolled 18.
Success
Idris makes a check for Average Knight Lance at 15, he rolled 4.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (1 5 5 1 5 6) for a total of: (23)
Failed.
Bran checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 18.

Unfortunately for Bran, this Average Knight is determined today. The lance darts forward, striking the man home in a glancing but strong enough blow. The lance fractures, of course, but it might have been just enough for his opponent to fall off his horse.

The poor showing is finally at an end. The third time is the charm for Bran's opponent and the Bodenham knight is finally unhorsed and sent sprawling down onto the churned-up dirt and grass of the field. He's quickly on his feet again, however, and saluting his victorious opponent. He'll walk off the pain of the blow and the anger at having lost. Outwardly, he comports himself with calm and honor and moves out of the way for the next match. Off to one side, his squire begins the process of removing the heavy armor while Bran stands stoic and still.

Whatever Rhaine and Idris are whispering have the tiny knight looking throughly shocked. Her pale cheeks are flushed a pretty shade of pink and she looks up at Idris with wide blue eyes. She seems to consider whatever he said and leans in once more smiling rather uncertainly at the man.

The youngest Knight of Bodenham replies in a murmur to Rhaine, meeting her gaze briefly as he smiles, then adds something in another whisper as he watches his eldest brother joust.

Amalthea's attention is almost mostly for the tournament, following the strides of the beautiful horses upon which the opponents sit. Any time one of them comes anywhere near to being struck with an errant splinter, the lady winces, averting her eyes. At the same time, she continues the conversation with her cousin. "He seemed quite nice. Hmm. I wonder if Sir Seth will be competing in the jousting tourney." She tries to play it off casually, but there's the hint of interest there. "Do you know, Lys?"

Fayne watches on with a bored expression as his squire leads the Stapleford's black charger up to him. "Its your turn Sir." The lad looks excited and Fayne just raises a brow. "Very well, here is hoping this ends quickly." He dons his helmet and swings himself up into the saddle of his charger before trotting up to where he will face off against his opponet. Dark eyes peer out calmly from behind his visor, he looks rather bored actully.

As he is called from the roster, Bradwyn mounts up on his charger, and readies his shield and lance. To new of a knight to have his own squire, he is largely on his own in that regard. Stepping his horse up to the lists. Wearing his chainmail, and the colors of house Idmiston Bradwyn remains silent as he salutes with his lance, then readies for the first tilt.

Well, so much for that. There is some disappointment in Lysanor's face at the fall of the Bodenham, but she does idly comment to Amalthea, "That other knight, I believe, is slightly more experienced." Not that she's certain, as she is unfamiliar with that particular average knight. At the mention of Seth, however, the auburn-haired Dinton's lips turn up into a faint smile, her face turning, eyes upon her cousin once more, "Sir Seth?" One of her delicate brows even arches, "I do not know, but I know that I've seen his name listed. So I'm sure we will be seeing him at some point." Attention returning to the new opponents, she does recognize one, having made his acquaintance just recently. "It looks like it is Sir Bradwyn de Idmiston's turn. Though, I do not know if I recognize the other."

Fayne also salutes with his lance. A polite dip of his head is also given as he prepares to charge forward. His shield bares the colors of House Stapleford but many would not know of him as he spent much of his time since being knighted elsewhere. He doesn't seem to mind the lack of people knowing him though, he just urges the black horse forward his expression blank as he tries to strike the other man or at least not get hit too hard.

Iolo comes walking into the tournament grounds as jousts and such go on , making his way towards where the crowd is sitting to watch the most recent engagement of knights preparing to go down.

The signal given, Bradwyn spurs his charger and off they go, as the six foot man lowers his lance, attempting to strike true.

Critical Fail!
Fayne checked his lance of 14, he rolled 20.
Success
Bradwyn checked his lance of 13, he rolled 3.
Bradwyn rolls 6d6 and gets (6 2 4 2 3 2) for a total of: (19)
Success
Fayne checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 7.

Whatever Idris says to her next has Rhaine regarding him almost fondly. She smiles faintly and inclines her head to him before turning away from her company to watch the next joust as it begins.

Once he's back in his civilian attire, Bran stalks back toward Idris and, now, Rhaine. When he arrives he stands silently beside his brother and watches the following joust. Quiet, watching intently, hands clasped before him. Typical brotherly hanging out, of course. "Quite a few broken lances today." he eventually breaks his silence and remarks evenly to Idris when he's done whispering to Rhaine.

Riding forth Fayne is struck a solid blow by Bradwyn's lance. His own lance shatters from the impact without having hit anything however he reamains in his saddle. Wheeling his horse around he accepts another lance and prepares to try this again. The six foot Stapleford knight looms in his saddle manging to brood even while jousting. The black charger is urged forward for the second pass while Fayne steels himself lowering his lace to strike or try to.

Bradwyn makes a last minute adjustment to his lance, landing a blow to the other knight, hitting fairly hard as well, where Fayne seems to have some trouble aligning his own lance that well. Moving to the opposite end of the field, Bradwyn checks his lance to see if he needs another or not, which he doesn't which saves him having to find someone to bring him a replacement. The six foot Idmiston too move for another tilt.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his lance of 13, he rolled 16.
Failed.
Fayne checked his lance of 14, he rolled 16.

Inclining his head back to Rhaine, Idris flashes her a bright, but brief smile as he turns to look at his brother, nodding once. "It was a good attempt, brother, but I think you will do better in the individual challenges. It is worth more to try your hand at those contests, at any rate. Attracts more respect for one's skill at arms, in my opinion. This is merely sport; no one will call you a skilled duelist for winning a joust."

Amalthea's watching the tourney with renewed interest. "Ah, yes, Sir Bradwyn. I meant to find him after the race the other day, to find out if he was uninjured." She squints her dark eyes on the Knights jousting, picking out Bradwyn. "He does not look any worse for wear, at least. Nor does his mount. Are you favouring anyone in the joust, cousin?"

Fayne charges once more but he misses Bradwyn again. Thankfully he doesn't get hit again either. Turning his horse about for another pass he sighs behind his helmet. This is taking much too long. Dark eyes narrow a little and he decides to put more effort into it, he doesn't seem eager to win but he will at least try to end this one way or another.

Bradwyn only strikes air, the movement of his horse causing a last minute shift in his grip, swaying the lance clear, leaving it harmless to his opponent as he circles about for another pass.

Edwyn arrives from the Market Square.
Failed.
Bradwyn checked his lance of 13, he rolled 14.
Failed.
Fayne checked his lance of 14, he rolled 16.

And once again both knights miss each other. Fayne charges by and turns his horse about looking somewhat annoyed. Not at his lack of striking but that its not over yet. The Stapleford charges in again once Bradwyn is ready, the moody man ready more than anything to end this.

Success

Fayne checked his lance of 14, he rolled 13.

Bradwyn turns about and calls for another lance, perhaps feeling the first is no longer lucky. Once given and seeing Fayne charging in, Bradwyn follows suit and charges as well.

Failed.
Bradwyn checked his lance of 13, he rolled 14.
Fayne rolls 6d6 and gets (1 1 1 5 2 6) for a total of: (16)
Failed.
Bradwyn checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 18.

Fayne finally hits the other man. His lance striking solid against Bradwyn's shield. Fayne rides past preparing to have to go again. Only to relaize the he has unhorsed the man. He blinks behind his helmet clearly surprised. "Thank you for the challenge..well fought." He offers to the other politely in a well spoken fashion. He trots his horse off the field and goes to get back into his normal clothes.

Critical Success!
Lysanor checked her honest of 10, she rolled 10.

"It looks as if both of these knights are on par with one another." Lysanor nods to Amalthea's comment on Sir Bradwyn. "They have both been so skilled in evading their—" Perhaps she had spoken to soon and thus quiets down for the moment to watch the outcome of this last clash. The young woman stiffens gently when asked about her own favor, the question not getting an immediate response, but eventually, after much thought and a bit of color flushed over her cheek, she does say in a much softer tone, "Yes, I am." She does not go into further details, though she now turns, even if her gaze do not meet with Amalthea's, when she asks, "Have you?" She would go to see more, but refrains.

Bradwyn charges foreward, his shield struck, though instead of deflecting to the side safely, it instead deflects up. While it doesn't hit Bradwyn in the head or face, it does make him tetter back, and lose his balance as he lands on his back as his charger continues forward a few more paces. The horse then slows and turns about looking to Bradwyn as though to ask, 'How did you get there?' Bradwyn takes a moment to collect himself then stands and returns the offered salute before walking over to the horse and says in a soft, good-natured tone, "Don't give me that look. You need to run straiter." chuckling softly as he pats the horse's shoulder affectionately and lifts the lance to show all he is okay, before leading his horse by the reigns and handing the lance off to another before clearing the field.

Seroil has been waiting patiently as watching the other matches as they go by. Finally his name and that os his competitor are announced and he moves up to the line, taking his position and accepting a lance from the squire that hands one up to him. The Bishopstone crest makes for a rather cheery blue and white upon his shield, although the knight himself seems to be alltogether serious. There is a moment of study of the other knight and a small nod of acknowledgement in that direction before things get underway.

The other knight for his part looks like no stranger to tournaments, equipment showing just enough dings to be well used and the man sitting quite comfortably in his saddle. His shield bearing a rather more majestic symbol of some sort of tree.

Success
You check your lance at 15, you rolled 14.
Success
Idris makes a check for Notable Knight Lance at 16, he rolled 11.
Seriol rolls 6d6 and gets (2 1 3 6 2 1) for a total of: (15)
Critical Success!
Idris makes a check for Notable Knight Horsemanship at 15, he rolled 15.
Failed.
Idris makes a check for Notable Knight Horsemanship at 16, he rolled 17.

With his part in the joust finished, Bradwyn leaves the field to get checked over by a healer before moving on from there.

With a thunder of hooves the two competitors rumble towards each other across the field. It's like two mountains converging at high speeds, or at least as fast as the poor steeds can manage with a few well armored knights atop them. Seriol looks to be going for an incredibly conservative approach, not chancing anything against the more experienced competitor. The other knight however seems to be going for something more dramatic, an initial aim towards the center mass that shifts towards the shoulder at the last moment. In this case the more conservative blow finds it's mark, the Bishopstone striking true and the competitor falling off the horse into a cloud of dust. Salutes are duly given, each recognizing the other and then the field is being cleared for the next competitor.

Idris stares at the Bishopstone knight as he rides to victory, narrowing his eyes. There is a rivalry between the Bodenhams and the Bishopstone manor, after all. His hands go to the rail of the sideline as he looks for the next competitors.

Edwyn arrives at the grounds just in time for the current match to end. The Burcombe is ready just in time for his name to be annouced. He mounts up on his white charger and gets his lance and shield ready. His armor is a light shimmering steel slightly worn but still in good repair. The White Sheep of Burcombe trots his horse up to the line ready to start. His gaze breifly scans the crowd to see who might be watching before he focuses solely on the knight he will face.

Walking with more forthright confidence than his eyes show, Dillion walks out onto the field, self-absorbed, thoughtful. He puts his hand on the rail, solitary, dressed in the padded jerkin of a man not quite ready to go on a field, followed by his anxious squire. He arrives just in time to see his elder brother's run, the younger Bishopstone knight giving the rail a fond squeeze. "Oh, well done," he murmurs to himself as Seriol finds victory. A quick glance to the heavens. That quiet moment of family pride is all he is allowed before his squire, holding his set of iron rings, practically badgers him to finish his preparations.

It's not often that matches like these, especially those against more notable knights finish so quickly. So when the Bishopstone knight quickly and skillfully unhorses his far more glorious opponent, Lysanor simply blinks. It happened way too quickly. But seeing just how massive Seriol de Bishopstone is to begin with, she can't be overly surprised. Thus with that victory in Bishopstone's favor does she applaud, so impressed by the bout.

Edwyn's opponent is a young knight, yet unused to tilting at the jousts. He waits for the marshal's signal to charge forwards to his enemy.

Failed.
Edwyn checked his lance of 15, he rolled 19.
Failed.
Idris makes a check for Young Knight lance at 13, he rolled 18.

Amalthea's applause echoes her cousin over the match, having fallen quiet after the return question she was asked. Slightly wistfully, she finally answers, "No, none." And then glances back over her shoulder, shifting slightly. "I ought to go check on the horses. Will you fill me in on the finishings later, cousin?" Thea asks, pulling a smile back to her lips.

Edwyn's horse charges forward at the signal, hooves thundering against the ground. Both knights miss thier mark to start with and Edwyn turns his horse around nodding to the young knight politely before charging in again to try and land a hit.

Success
Edwyn checked his lance of 15, he rolled 8.
Success
Idris makes a check for Young Knight Lance at 13, he rolled 11.
Idris rolls 6d6 and gets (2 2 2 1 3 4) for a total of: (14)
Failed.
Edwyn checked his horsemanship of 15, he rolled 17.

The next pass has Edwyn's lance glancing off the young knights shield. However he takes a much harder hit. The Burcombe looses his balance and falls out of his saddle. he is quick to regain his footing though and he bows his head to the young man that bested him. "Well done." He says politely before gathering up his horse and heading off the field.

With the previous two encounters having taken less time than a punter would have predicted, it is a rather hastily-armed Dillion who rides out. His hurry shows in perhaps a slight quickness of breath, and the handwringing of the young squire who shakes his head like a mother hen. Then again, maybe that breathing is nerves, for on the other end of the lists rides an older knight, physically past it but in such a battle of pure skill quite likely to take victory before the conditioning of Dillion, knighted barely a few months, can possibly tell. Also, Dillion's older brother just chopped a knight of serious repute down like a rotten tree. So you see there's no pressure at all.

At his end, Dillion lifts his lance and salutes his opponent with genuine solemnity. The veteran down the other end returns the gesture respectfully. Then there's nothing to do but match youthful vigor against skill.

Success
Dillion checked his lance of 15, he rolled 12.
Success
You make a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, you rolled 9.
Dillion rolls 6d6 and gets (5 2 1 4 6 2) for a total of: (20)
Success
You make a check for Old Knight Horsemanship at 18, you rolled 5.

The horses turn, thunder down the lists, Dillion's wily adversary picking his spot. Dillion shifts his shoulders, brings his lance down, moves his weight to the side, and feels those two delicious sensations of the breeze going by his cheek and the juddering slam into his arm as his lance finds its mark. Almost too quickly he turns around in his saddle, but not only is the veteran still in his saddle but he barely seems fazed, Dillion having been too careful to land a properly stunning blow.

Yet that alone is a confidence boost for a young man on his debut. Dillion turns his horse, shoots a quick glance to the heavens, shakes the tension out of his lancearm, and awaits the marshal's pleasure.

Success
Dillion checked his lance of 15, he rolled 12.
Success
You make a check for Old Knight Lance at 18, you rolled 15.
Seriol rolls 6d6 and gets (6 4 1 2 3 6) for a total of: (22)
Failed.
Dillion checked his horsemanship of 14, he rolled 15.

The measure of a knight's experience comes not in the first pass but the second. Dillion comes down the list like thunder, knowing his mistake, determined to right it, keen eyes bearing on his foe's breast, lance swinging down and bearing in just like they'd teach you at knight school if there was such a thing, and in truth it's a pretty good effort; but the old knight's is better. Far better. He not only recognized his own mistake but recognized Dillion's, and his lance dips through the unfortunate gap between Dillion's sheald and his breastbone, getting there first, striking the younger knight with full force such that he almost seems to stop still in the air while his horse goes on.

Fallen in the mud, lance landing with a splat beside him, there is nothing to do for Dillion but to blink, shake his head, slowly catch his breath, and, when the old knight turns at the end of the field, salute the better man. "Thank you for the lesson, my lord," he says, and, it seems, quite sincerely. Then he meets his squire, holding his horse by the reins and tutting quite sternly, and retires from the field.

Seriol has already dismounted, off on the sidelines and watching as his brother takes the field and is eventually unseated. There is the faintest bit of a wince there and then he waits until the other Bishopstone makes his exit from the field. "No shame in that" he says, "He has seen a great many passes in his day and it was a good show to last the first pass. Not all will against his this tournament, I suspect."

Glaw had been in armor for a while now. Not that the young knight would admit to anyone who asked, but seeing the name of that particular knight on the lists paired against him did have Glaw a bit nervous. With the latest pass being made, Glaw soon begins to trot the horse to the assigned positions. There is a favor tied to his arm, the shield and lance soon handed to him by his squire, before he nods his helmeted head at the much more noteable knight down the lists, indicating he is ready.

That aforementioned more noteable knight soon will do the same, and when the signal is finally given, both sides begin to spur their horses….

Critical Success!
Glaw makes a check for Famous Knight's Lance at 18, he rolled 18.
Success
Glaw checked his lance of 12, he rolled 4.
Glaw rolls 6d6 and gets (1 5 1 5 4 4) for a total of: (20)
Critical Success!
Glaw checked his horsemanship of 14, he rolled 14.

These last few matches have gone by quickly and Lysanor has found herself disappointed with some of the losses. Especially that of Edwyn de Burcombe. Besides being a Burcome, she did hold him in much higher esteem than most of his family! Then there was another Bishopstone, but this one did not end up as victorious of the big and scary Bishopstone. However, now, she could hear more cheers coming from the cloud. Shouts and hollering, clapping and the stomping of feet, all for one of the famous knights who had arrived. It always feems like a rare thing to lay eyes upon one of those spectacles and she does not envy the famous knight's less experienced opponent, whoever it is!

That lance of our Famous knight did not even shatter, despite the sound of wood striking metal and the clear ring of chainmail. Thankfully both knights were not pushing their horses to full speed this first pass. Glaw twists just at the right time to let the shield strike his shoulder — and that is surely going to leave a mark — but letting the lance of the other knight slide off to the side rather than to bear down to the center of his body.

When he brings the horse to a stop to turn, he rolls his shoulder, just to get some feeling back in his arm, and make sure that stinging senation from his collarbone is just a bruise and had not shattered it. Nope. Nope, he can still move his shoulder, so he soon brings his horse back in line, lowering the lance to signal he is well enough to continue.

The other knight at least gives him a nod, and soon the horses are gallopping again.

Success
Glaw makes a check for Famous Knight's Lance at 18, he rolled 7.
Critical Fail!
Glaw checked his lance of 12, he rolled 20.
Glaw rolls 6d6 and gets (4 3 1 1 4 4) for a total of: (17)
Success
Glaw checked his horsemanship of 14, he rolled 5.

Dillion emerges from behind the tents, walking in the deliberate, back-straight manner of somebody who has taken a nasty bump to the chest and is trying not to show it. He comes around into the field, each step trying not to look ginger and therefore looking twice as bad, just in time to see a knight he'd recognize from the adjoining earldom and a younger knight he doesn't know at all put on a fine mutual display skill at their collision. Dillion applauds the mettle of both riders on the first pass - and then he cringes, and lowers his arms to his side rather deliberately.

Well, it seems that first pass shook Glaw more than he'd like to admit, and in the critical moment before lance strikes shield of his opponent the tip of the lance just arely manages to clip the side of it, only shivering it.

His opponent, instead has little problem finding the now opened spot between horse and shield to strike the chainmail squarely, shattering his lance against his body, sending wooden splinters everywhere. Glaw, however, does manage to hold on, despite the protest of his horse beneath him.

There is a low couhging laugh that comes from Glaw then, as he once more turns the horse, waiting for the other knight to recieve his replacement lance. Yep. Knight School, advanced course, right here. A moment. Two, and then the horses speeed up once more.

Success
Glaw makes a check for Famous Knight's Lance at 18, he rolled 6.
Success
Glaw checked his lance of 12, he rolled 11.
Glaw rolls 6d6 and gets (2 6 2 4 4 1) for a total of: (19)
Success
Glaw makes a check for Famous Knight's Horsemanship at 18, he rolled 16.

Somewhere in the background, Sir Uwain is getting his surly charger ready and preparing his various charms against the evil spirits which are sure to want him to fail here. He desires a joust on merit alone, not the strange stirrings of spirits. Preparing his horse, he is rubbing it down a bit and doing all those various things one does to get a horse ready to charge out along a fence and then feel the weight of a huge man thrown off its back. He doesn't want it bucking off into the onlookers. "Who wants a carrot?" he asks the hose then, and flags down his squire to go and get him some more carrots.

Glaw's turn to get his thoughts on track, this time, barreling down on the other knight, this time it is his lance that strikes shield and shatters against it. But alas, our famously unnamed knight has apparently taken worse, and while the shield arm moves to the side with the strikes, he too carries on. Each one down one lance, Glaw replaces his when Cadfan rushes to exhange the stump for a new one, before he once more lowers the glorified stick to signal he is ready. Surely the horses will be out of breath soon if they do not make a decisive pass soon.

Critical Success!
Glaw makes a check for Famous Knight's Lance at 18, he rolled 18.
Success
Glaw checked his lance of 12, he rolled 4.
Glaw rolls 6d6 and gets (6 5 6 3 6 3) for a total of: (29)
Success
Glaw checked his horsemanship of 14, he rolled 2.

Well. It had to end at some point, right? This time, the shield is struck on the inside, sliding the lance point — blunt as it is — into the center, and while Glaw manages to hold on for a moment or two, even while the hollow lance shatters against him, there is actually blood to discolor his tabbard seeping through the chainmail and he ends up falling out of the saddle from the force of the blow, unable to regain his balance. For a moment he just blinks up at the sky, before he slowly, painfully rolls on his side. Oh, he is alive, but that REALLY is gonna leave a mark.

Seeing Sir Glaw hit the dirt that hard, and the way he lays there for a moment or two, Sir Uwain leaves his horse at the entrance to the lists and goes running out to check on the fallen Knight. Helping, along with the man's Squire, to get the man on his feet. "On your feet now, Sir Glaw, that was a mighty exchange!" he booms, his helmet open. "I shall pour you a drink or ten, Sir!" and once he is certain that the man has his senses about him, and the squire has him in hand, he turns and runs back to his own charger. It's always interesting to see big men in heavy armor running around. They look rather enormous, really. He mounts up quickly then, and starts towards the lists once the field is clear.

Cadfan, Glaw's squire woulld soon rush over to help his knight out of the way, naturally, but then Sir Uwain is there, and Glaw accepts the help gladly, soon to laugh, though clenched teeth. "Oh, just pour it through the hole. Right here..", he says, daring to indicate the spot he got stuck, with a groan-wince-laugh, before he is finally out of the way so the next pairing can go. Yep. Now for the healer's tent. Where was it again?

Failed.
You make a check for Young Knight Lance at 13, you rolled 19.
Success
Uwain checked his lance of 15, he rolled 8.
Uwain rolls 6d6 and gets (3 1 5 4 5 5) for a total of: (23)
Success
You make a check for Young Knight Horsemanship at 10, you rolled 9.

The fall of the last knight does something rather difficult for Dillion, given the pain of defeat still radiating through his breast - he cringes, letting out an "ah!" of sympathy as the knight falls to the turf. Defeated but hardly discreditibly, given the calibre of his opposition. He again applauds, for the victor, the defeated, and those helping the defeated off the field. "Educational though my opponent was," he murmurs with a voice somewhat tighter than usual, "I am glad I did not find myself in that young man's shoes."

Success
Uwain checked his courtesy of 10, he rolled 4.

Setting spurs to chargers, young Sir Uwain and a similarly skilled young man find themselves at opposite ends of the list. The two raise their lances in a salute and ride a quick lap with their lances up with the appropriate salutes and bows and all that various stuff that one does in a tournament. When they get back to their starting positions they exchange a look. The much larger, though he feels less experienced Sir Uwain bows his head and then flips his head down a bit harder to get his visor to clank shut and holds out a hand for a lance.

Spurs go to horse for the burst of speed. The charger knows what to do. They are off suddenly, great clods of dirt flying as the two set their lances and couch cleanly. Sir Uwain's lance hits first and explodes in a shower of small wooden debris, but his opponent stays seated and the two circle again.

Holding out his hand for a fresh lance, Sir Uwain looks down at his squire and says, "A good hit, aye?" and then shrugs and prepares to repeat the process.

Success
You make a check for Young Knight Lance at 13, you rolled 2.
Success
Uwain checked his lance of 15, he rolled 1.
Seriol rolls 6d6 and gets (4 1 4 4 3 6) for a total of: (22)
Failed.
Uwain checked his horsemanship of 10, he rolled 14.

And on their second pass, Sir Uwain takes a good hit, even though his own lance would have been undoubtedly well scored, he hesitates slightly and with a heavy connection of lance to armor he ends up sitting in the dirt. He hops to his feet in short order, and helps offers an appropriate salute to the other young knight before he helps chase down his charger. "Get back here!" he yells at the horse as he catches it and mounts up to lead it from the lists.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License