(514-02-14) The Saxon Menace
Summary: The embassy to Lonazep runs into a bit of Saxon trouble as they near their final destination, the county of Lonazep!
Date: 514-02-14
Related: none
aeron ewin gideon rose 


The road was rather quiet following the run in with the cow dudes. The trip has been a series of cold days, with nights spent on the road, or in the occasional inn in the various towns that the group passes through, exchanges with knights are frequent as the group crosses from county to county, though passage is granted each time. Eventually the small group finds themselves leaving the main road, on the path leading into the woods to the city of Lonazep, "Look, you can see the city just there." Aeron says, gesturing slightly down the way, "Hopefully we'll only be here a short while, and back on the road to home soon."

There is no telling how a Lady got into the party, but Rose seems to have some skills that are known and her trait for mercy could also be why she has gotten into the small group heading to Lonazep. Mostly she has simply stayed out of the way, speaking to those who come near, but staying out of the Knight's way. For a Lady she is dressed well in a cloak with a bow and leathers added to her dress. Today she is wearing a fur cloaked hood down on her shoulders as they turn into the woods and it flickers against her flushed cheeks as she turns to look Aeron's way at his words. "How long was the plan to stay in the city?" Short while doesn't seem to be time with meaning.

It's certainly been a long, yet interesting road for Ewin. The addition of the Lady Rose of Steeple Langford had been a welcome surprise for him. There had been a few brief conversations with her, all very proper, all the while hoping to finish this mission quickly so that he could speak with Sir Perin about his step-sister. Still, Ewin had kept to the business at hand and kept wary on the road to Lonazep. And with the city in sight, the young knight can't help but sigh a bit in relief. "A quick and sucessful resolution is something devoutly wished, Sir Aeron," Ewin reassures the leader of their group with a smile.
Sir Gideon for his own part in the matter has been keeping far at the front or at the rear of the party, watching for possible threats and confirming that they were in fact going the right way. He leans in to his horse, patting the beast a few times in thanks for not being the ornery sack of flesh and vexation that it normally is. The addition of the lady has produced only a few eyerolls, to the Steepleford kngihts credit. "As long as it takes." Is Gideon's response to Rose. "It depends of course on how complicated the Count's answer is. And if it requires…" Here Gideon pauses, shading his eyes to look out on the horizon. "Rephrasing."

"We're here until the count releases us, Lady Rose." Aeron replies to the question, giving a slight nod of his head towards the woman, "I don't imagine it will be terribly long, though." he says with a slight shrug of his shoulders. As the party continues riding along, they pass what appears to be a small cluster of peasant hovels that appear to have been put to the torch.

Rose does not ignore Gideon but she simply gives him a curious look from behind her lashes before she nods gently to Aeron. "Well then, it us hope he will be in an inviting mood.." Her words are soft but they trail off as they come up on the torched hovels, there is a little frown that touches her lips and she looks then from one Knight to another as she tightens a gloved hand over the bow that rides at her knee.

As the party rides passed the burned hovels, Ewin starts to frown. He has no idea how long ago these homes were put to the torch; as far as he's concerned, they could have just stopped smoldering before the party rode up. He moves his horse up towards a position that would protect Lady Rose from the flank, and his hand rests on his sword as he looks warily around. "I think the COunt might have a few things to explain to Earl Robert," he mutters towards Aeron.

Gideon seems utterly placid, though they are a few minute additional movements of his eyes, though he does not ready a weapon. His spear is within hands reach if absolutely necessary, but right now he merely focuses on coming alongside Aeron. "Many possibilities, but immaterial to our present purpose." His breath comes out heavy, his shoulders rolling back as he looks out towards the city. "Unless you wish to interpret our mandate as having a more…investigative bent, Sir Aeron?"

"Our mission was just to deliver a message, and return with a response, Sir Gideon." Aeron replies, glancing towards the buildings in question as he rides along with the others, frowning just a touch, "But it's probably best to keep our eyes open, I suppose." He adds, continuing to ride his horse along down the road.

Rose 's eyes widen to dramatic extremes and she catches a quick breath, her eyes seem to be looking to the left off the path as she draws her horse to a stop. This brings her closer to Ewin and just behind Aeron and Gideon as she let's out a low warning sound as if to try and keep it to the group. "Saxons!" It's a harsh whisper, but should get to the others as she wraps her hand tighter over the bow as if to pull it.

Wrapped up in looking for danger from the peasants, Ewin apparently misses the threat of the Saxons that the archer eyes of Rose spot. He brings his horse in closer to the lady to protect her, possibly making any shot of hers more difficult. Ewin draws his sword and looks around for the threat. "Where? Where did you see them?"
Gideon's hand finally drops, taking hold of the catch that holds his spear and releasing it into his hand, though he does not bring it to bear. His voice low, barelyt audible. "Michael, guide of the dead and judge of the worthy, see fit to take me to the Heavenly Father if I fall and am deemed worthy…" His voice then raising as he takes up position on Aeron's flank, as Ewin apparently has the lady in hand, so to speak. "They probably don't expect another fight, if they are the ones who sacked these buildings. If you want to hit them, best before they get their bearings again." He says grimly, brining down the visor of his helm. "Then again, I'm not entirely opposed if you don't want to be heroes this day."

"There they are." Aeron calls out, drawing his sword and pointing with it as he starts to angle his horse towards the Saxons, sheild being lifted onto his arm. The Saxons seem to be itching for a fight as well, as four of them burst from the underbrush towards the group of knights, and the lady, all raaaar and Saxony as they come forth with spear and shield to engage the Knights + Lady.

As Aeron answers Gideon with his words, Rose draws a little to the side and still behind, getting what angle and distance she can. Her face is set in a little frown, fear showing only in the slight white of her eyes before they narrow and she takes aim with her bow. Distance needs to count for something.. right?
Critical Success!
Rose checked her bow of 10, she rolled 10.
Rose rolls 6d6 and gets (4 3 3 6 1 6) for a total of: (23)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (14) for a total of: (14)

Success
Gideon checked his spear of 15, he rolled 14.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (8) for a total of: (8)
Aeron rolls 10d6 and gets (5 1 4 2 3 3 5 1 6 2) for a total of: (32)

Success
Ewin checked his sword of 15, he rolled 10.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (6) for a total of: (6)
Ewin rolls 4d6 and gets (6 5 4 6) for a total of: (21)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (8) for a total of: (8)

Success
You check your sword at 15, you rolled 5.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (7) for a total of: (7)
Aeron rolls 5d6 and gets (2 3 5 5 5) for a total of: (20)
Success
You check your horsemanship at 15, you rolled 7.

Ewin is about ready to keep his horse near Rose to protect her from the advancing raiders. Then, an arrow goes whizzing past him to strike one of the screaming heathens and knocking him off his feet. To his credit, Ewin doesn't just stay there looking stupified for very long. With a cry of "For the King!" as he draws his sword, he spurs his charger into action, riding towards the nearest Saxon, swinging his sword downwards at the vicious raider.

Perhaps Gideon should also have done some yelling. Although the spear strike from the elevation of his horse does strike the Saxon, it glances off of his armor, which leaves him totally unprepared for the Saxon's counterstroke, which takes him down from his horse and onto the ground. Disoriented, he looks up at the sky, striving to regain equilibrium so as to hopefully at least give himself a good death. "Ewin…you can have your bloody King. I just don't want to die an embarrasment." It is, it seems, one of those days.

Is that a growl that Ewin hears? Maybe but it comes as Rose moves slightly farther back and draws her bow, with a flick of her fingers the arrow is loose and drives right past Ewin's ear and into the throat of the Saxon bearing down, this knocks him to the ground as the Lady draws another arrow, tho she tries to stay out of the range of bodily damage.

The Saxon who comes in on Aeron attacks with a ferocity, the Knight is able to get his shield raised in time, and fend off the worst of the blows coming from the exchange of sword vs. spear, though a bit of blood is drawn from Aeron and he growls a bit, "I'll cover Sir Gideon!" he calls out to the other two.

Critical Success!
Ewin checked his sword of 15, he rolled 20.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (6) for a total of: (6)
Ewin rolls 8d6 and gets (1 6 1 2 6 2 1 2) for a total of: (21)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (20) for a total of: (20)
Wheeling his horse around after his first blow, Ewin nots to Sir Aeron's shout, "Right!" he shouts back as the senior knight plans on protecting Sir Gideon. Ewin is aware that Gideon was unhorsed, but isn't sure how badly his comrade was hurt. Spurring his horse on again, Ewin rides down the Saxon he had hit before, this time knocking the heathen down as her rides past.

Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (8) for a total of: (8)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (11) for a total of: (11)
Aeron rolls 4d6 and gets (6 6 4 5) for a total of: (21)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (11) for a total of: (11)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (5) for a total of: (5)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (18) for a total of: (18)
Aeron rolls 4d6 and gets (5 3 2 2) for a total of: (12)

Gideon struggles to right himself, leaning in on his spear as he looks over at Aeron. "Worry about the task." Though there isn't a whole lot of venom in it. Mostly its a 'I'm alive, I can count how many fingerts you are holding up' sort of expression. He then readies himself oncemore, looking at that smug horse. "If we survive this…" He grunts in pain. "I am cooking that Devil Spawned animal. See if I don't." That does have a growl as he shifts his weight, looking balefully at the remaining standing Saxons.

Backing up was a mistake for Rose, as the new arrow slips to the right of the down Saxon, and the Lady utters some words better left unspoken as notches the next arrow, simply trying to stay out of the range of the fighting.
Success
Rose checked her bow of 10, she rolled 4.
Rose rolls 3d6 and gets (6 4 3) for a total of: (13)
Aeron offers a rather impressive showing, angling his horse to block the other Saxon from exploiting Gideon's momentarily exposed state. His sword cuts out across the Saxon's chest with a spray of blood, though the main remains up. He turns his attention just as quickly to the other barbarian he was fighting, delivering a glancing blow. "Finish him, Sir Gideon!" He calls turning his attention from the Saxon with the chest wound, who has fallen to the ground.. though seems to be starting to get up!!
Failed.
Ewin checked his sword of 15, he rolled 16.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (7) for a total of: (7)
Ewin rolls 4d6 and gets (1 3 1 4) for a total of: (9)

Success
Gideon checked his spear of 15, he rolled 2.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (6) for a total of: (6)

Success
You check your sword at 15, you rolled 2.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (20) for a total of: (20)
Aeron rolls 4d6 and gets (1 5 4 5) for a total of: (15)

Right now Gideon's trying to ignore the absurd pain from heavy cut from his Saxon's blade. He lunges, trying to put his whole body weight behind it but while he does connect, he catches the shield of the Saxon. No words, just a palpable feel of vexation. Its not even rage, at this point he just wants to get this task over with, eyes narrowed as he tries to find some sort of clarity.

Again, Ewin turs around for another charge at his oppoent. This time, though, his sword hits soundly on the shield of the Saxon, stunning the man some, but doing no real damage. He takes a quick glance around to appraise the situation. One Saxon is down with arrows sticking out of him. And another one has broken his spear. Sir Gideon is up, and it looks like there's 1 Saxon left for each knight now. Good odds, Ewin hopes.

Aeron continues engaging the Saxon he's been fighting, the man's spear shatters against Aeron's shield, and his sword swings down, adding another cut to the raider's wounds. Even with the blow to Gideon, the Saxons seem to be on their last leg, faltering a bit perhaps from wounds and worse that are starting to add up!

An arrow wizs right past Gideon and into the Saxon that Rose has been engaged with to send the male to the ground with another arrow much lower this time, and the arrow that keeps him down. This brings the lady back to the closer battle and she mutters to herself as she draws her bow and waits for a shot, but no the Lady will not be shooting into combat.

Ewin checked his sword of 15, he rolled 9.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (15) for a total of: (15)
Ewin rolls 4d6 and gets (1 4 2 5) for a total of: (12)

Success
Gideon checked his spear of 15, he rolled 3.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (17) for a total of: (17)
Gideon rolls 5D6 and gets (2 4 3 1 3) for a total of: (13)

Failed.
You check your swords at , you rolled 14.
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (18) for a total of: (18)
Aeron rolls 4d6 and gets (1 2 5 2) for a total of: (10)

Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (13) for a total of: (13)
Aeron rolls 1d20 and gets (5) for a total of: (5)

Critical Success!
Rose checked her bow of 10, she rolled 10.
Rose rolls 6d6 and gets (4 2 5 6 6 3) for a total of: (26)

Dispatching his opponent with a final ride-down, Ewin leans over and sticks his sword through the fallen Saxon's neck to make sure he's dead. Then, he turns around and trots over to the other. "Sir Gideon! Are you alright? I believe you took a might blow, but it still did not stop you from ending the life of that Saxon dog." He turns around to look at Rose, looking as worried about her as the kinght he knows is injured. "And are you alright, Lady Rose? Your accuracy was most impressive this day." A smile and polite nod are given to the Lady archer.

Gideon lucks out. Its not much of a hit, but it pierces cleanly through the Saxon's shoulder, bringing him down with a single efficient movement. Its graceful in its own manner, if lacking the traditional gallantry of the mounted charge. It gets the job done though, and it reminds him of why he prefers the certainty if not the momentum of spear on foot. The horse gets the worst glare he can muster, a snarl of pure hatred. "I hope you like the taste of horse, Sir Aeron, because this beast is certainly fat enough to need more than one to consume it." He shifts his weight though, scanning the field. Its unlikely there are any more, but always assume…."Did the Count's Saxon problem come before or after his failure to share his plans with Earl Robert, I wonder?" Not that the two are necessarily related.

The Saxon Aeron is engaging goes for his hand axe, trying to protect himself with his shield against the mounted Knight, though with little success, though he does turn a mortal wound into a glancing wound. He doesn't stay however, as his companions drop around him, and he turns to flee rather quickly away from the knights, trying to get to the safety of the woodline before he is ridden down!
Rose is seemingly in no mood to deal with run away cowards and as she's known for her Mercy, she aims the arrow that slices through to the heart and takes the Saxon down cleanly. There is a moment of silence and then the Lady moves to place her bow up and slide down from her horse, pulling her medical bag from whereever she hides the thing.

Rose pulls her cloak around her a little more tightly as she blushes a little at Ewin's words, it's clear she knows what her brothers would have said, so she flashes him a quick smile and then moves towards the wounded Knights. She pauses by Gideon first and tilts her head up to look at him, "Sir Gideon I need to tend to your wounds.." She doesn't ask..persay and simply waits as if she expects him to sit down and let her get to work.

Once the first aid is completed, the Knights of Salisbury continue on down the way to Lonazep, it is only another couple hours ride until the group reaches city, where they are informed the count is out with his war party fighting off the winter raids by the Saxon menace.. and the Chamberlain isn't certain when he'll be back.. lodging is granted, and the Knights are given a time to rest and recover before deciding their next course of action!

(feel free to tag the log with character names of those involved!)

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License